Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FredFnord
At least at Safeway, this week brings a new gift card giveaway: $10 credit with every $100-or-more purchase of Visa gift cards (not the Vanilla ones, the straightforward gift cards) at Safeway. If you need groceries (and who doesn't?) this is a pretty good deal, especially if you have a certain AmEx (and therefore the $5.95 fee is essentially negated.)
Don't forget Chase Freedom 5x until 6/30. $5.95 for 520 UR points isn't bad, but the $10 of free groceries ($4.05 after the fee) helps make it more bearable.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Don't forget Chase Freedom 5x until 6/30. $5.95 for 520 UR points isn't bad, but the $10 of free groceries ($4.05 after the fee) helps make it more bearable.
Do you know if you get fuel points for these? I know at Kroger you get 1 point per dollar for Visa gift cards.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:34 pm

Okay i will put this up for you guys now that I have gotten all that I need.

Meijers has a promo right now similar to Safeway.

Buy $100 Visa gift card (5.95 fee) for $105.95, get $10 off your next purchase.

$4.05 money maker. But $10 of it has to be used on grocery.

Your $10 off your next purchase excludes gift cards, gasoline, alcohol, and some other oddities.

Need to meet a minimum spend or max out the cashback or points in grocery? This is the deal to do it..........

Now i just need to find a way to sell $100 visa gift cards.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:48 pm
Suspended

is ee some talking about discounted fuel purchase at safeway stores at this and other sites when buying gift cards. i CHECKED MY SAFEWAY ACCOUNT AND SEE SOME POINTS or something there regarding fuel. we are not talking about discount gas at safeway stores right? How do you get the 10cents off or the gas discount and where?

another question, can you use the williampaid service with amex prepaid card? any fees by amex for that?
thanks
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by factory81
Okay i will put this up for you guys now that I have gotten all that I need.

Meijers has a promo right now similar to Safeway.

Buy $100 Visa gift card (5.95 fee) for $105.95, get $10 off your next purchase.

$4.05 money maker. But $10 of it has to be used on grocery.

Your $10 off your next purchase excludes gift cards, gasoline, alcohol, and some other oddities.

Need to meet a minimum spend or max out the cashback or points in grocery? This is the deal to do it..........

Now i just need to find a way to sell $100 visa gift cards.
Stop & Shop supermarkets has a similar promo...
get a $10 paper cert after buying any GC over $50.

So I used my Amex HH card there that earns 6pts per dollar at grocers...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
is ee some talking about discounted fuel purchase at safeway stores at this and other sites when buying gift cards. i CHECKED MY SAFEWAY ACCOUNT AND SEE SOME POINTS or something there regarding fuel. we are not talking about discount gas at safeway stores right? How do you get the 10cents off or the gas discount and where?

another question, can you use the williampaid service with amex prepaid card? any fees by amex for that?
thanks
Here in DFW we have Tom Thumb's which are owned by Safeway. This is how the fuel points work here, but you may want to check your local store to be sure it's the same. A couple of notes about the info below: The 4 points per dollar for gift cards is a limited time offer that I believe ends pretty soon. Normally it's 2 points per dollar. On your receipt/web profile, I think 100 points shows as 1 fuel reward good for 10 cents off per gallon, 200 points shows as 2 fuel rewards, etc. To redeem at the pump, simply scan your rewards card at the pump and follow the on screen instructions.

How are Reward Points* earned?
It's easy to earn Reward Points* just by shopping at Tom Thumb with your Reward Card:
• Every $1 spent on groceries* = 1 point
• Every $1 spent on qualifying gift cards* = 4 points
• Every prescription filled** = 50 points

How do Reward Points* save money on gas?
Every 100 points gets you 10¢ off per gallon for a single fill-up at a Tom Thumb gas station. You can use your points in increments of 100 and use up to 1000 points for a single fill-up:
• 100 points = 10¢ off per gallon
• 200 points = 20¢ off per gallon
• 500 points = 50¢ off per gallon
• 1000 points = $1 off per gallon
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by knopfler
Here in DFW we have Tom Thumb's which are owned by Safeway. This is how the fuel points work here, but you may want to check your local store to be sure it's the same. A couple of notes about the info below: The 4 points per dollar for gift cards is a limited time offer that I believe ends pretty soon. Normally it's 2 points per dollar. On your receipt/web profile, I think 100 points shows as 1 fuel reward good for 10 cents off per gallon, 200 points shows as 2 fuel rewards, etc. To redeem at the pump, simply scan your rewards card at the pump and follow the on screen instructions.

How are Reward Points* earned?
It's easy to earn Reward Points* just by shopping at Tom Thumb with your Reward Card:
• Every $1 spent on groceries* = 1 point
• Every $1 spent on qualifying gift cards* = 4 points
• Every prescription filled** = 50 points

How do Reward Points* save money on gas?
Every 100 points gets you 10¢ off per gallon for a single fill-up at a Tom Thumb gas station. You can use your points in increments of 100 and use up to 1000 points for a single fill-up:
• 100 points = 10¢ off per gallon
• 200 points = 20¢ off per gallon
• 500 points = 50¢ off per gallon
• 1000 points = $1 off per gallon
i don't think, I don't see any safeway stores in IL have gas stations. so i think the points are worthless.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:14 pm

Vons- buy $50 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

In a Vons store in CA, there is a promotion for purchasing Visa GC. Buy one $50 to $500 and receive $10 in groceries. It started June 20 th and runs till early July. I think it said July 7th.

There was a fellow in front of me who bought 10.

Great to purchase for Freedom 5% bonus till end of June.

Also, what is the best you can get for selling a $100 Visa GC to ebates, etc?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

This promotion ran earlier in the year. I have merged in previous discussion. I have also transferred posts from another thread discussing the same offer. Note that Safeway also owns:

Carrs
Dominick's
Genuardi’s
Pavilions
Randalls
Tom Thumb
Vons

Last edited by mia; Jun 22, 2012 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:32 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
What is the expiration date on the $10 coupon and are they stackable does one have to do a lot of small transactions to use them ?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 am

great promotion. I will have to try it at my local vons. Do I just get a $50 visa and get a $10 voucher? Do it 10x!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:16 pm

How do you receive the $10 coupon? I just bought a $500 Visa GC at a Safeway in San Francisco and did not receive a coupon nor any note on my receipt.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The deal is minimum $100 Visa Gift card, not $50.

I went to a Vons in Southern California just now and bought a plain $100 Visa Debit Gift Card (set at $100, not one of the variable amount ones). With the activation fee, it was $105.95 (couldn't find one with just $3.95 fee). As soon as I swiped my Chase Freedom, a $10 coupon printed from the teller's machine.

I then went around and bought the $14 of groceries I was planning to buy anyway.

Last edited by amolkold; Jun 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
The deal is minimum $100 Visa Gift card, not $50.

I went to a Vons in Southern California just now and bought a plain $100 Visa Debit Gift Card (set at $100, not one of the variable amount ones). With the activation fee, it was $105.95 (couldn't find one with just $3.95 fee). As soon as I swiped my Chase Freedom, a $10 coupon printed from the teller's machine.

I then went around and bought the $14 of groceries I was planning to buy anyway.

You are correct. Minimum is $100. I bought the Visa Card that does not specify the set amount. When the $10 coupon print out, the manager gave me a $10 Vons Gift Card which I used.

Will go to Vons Tomorrow and try the Set Visa Card. I live in S. CA too

Last edited by metoo; Jun 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:44 pm

not happening in nor cal, so cal deal. it would print out a coupon if the promo was active.

Originally Posted by anders228
How do you receive the $10 coupon? I just bought a $500 Visa GC at a Safeway in San Francisco and did not receive a coupon nor any note on my receipt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.