Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

36 British Airways Avios Per Dollar Spent at Nordstrom (Expired)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

36 British Airways Avios Per Dollar Spent at Nordstrom (Expired)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by csib
Evil. I don't think they'd make you buy miles at FMV if that's what you're worried about.
I was thinking about the same thing but to a less extent. Would they take back the miles if you return the items after those miles have been posted to your BA account (not pending, but posted to your Avios account)?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by lichenlt
I was thinking about the same thing but to a less extent. Would they take back the miles if you return the items after those miles have been posted to your BA account (not pending, but posted to your Avios account)?
Of course they would. That's SOP for these shopping portals.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:38 pm

They would come after you for the points. BA isn't the only company that operates these portals and you're conceivably talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. They also have your Credit card, so if you didnt have the miles, they can charge you for the miles.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by leftpinky
They would come after you for the points. BA isn't the only company that operates these portals and you're conceivably talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. They also have your Credit card, so if you didnt have the miles, they can charge you for the miles.
They also have your address, so they can come and take few nice pieces of furniture from your living room. It's much easier then charging cc without any consent of cc owner.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:45 pm

I think they will charge you for miles or charge your credit card.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Let's also hypothetically say that this person doesn't share the FT motto of "anything for miles/points/etc." but instead feels that it's worth pressing charges for grand theft under California law, where you hypothetically live, which has a $950 threshold. I'd hope my hypothetical trip was really worth it because even if I hypothetically beat the rap (the prosecutor's burden would be somewhat difficult: proving that your returning $5000 worth of stuff was a sham rather than legitimately justified by Nordstrom's generous return policy), I'd be sweating a lot of real-world sweat and maybe spending a lot of real-world money to do it.
Grand theft (in CA and anywhere else) requires intent to steal. Here, like you indicate, that means you purchase the product with the intent of stealing the points.

However, what you miss is the fact that Nordstrom offers him the option to return the merchandise (which he accepts through performance). The points were a consequence of the transaction, and the transaction expressly provided the right to return the merchandise (I'm sure conditioned upon a return of the points). Thus, upon return, Nordstrom can debit these points from his BA account, or require him to repay the equivalent value, but there's nothing criminal about it.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Originally Posted by mzkaiser
Grand theft (in CA and anywhere else) requires intent to steal. Here, like you indicate, that means you purchase the product with the intent of stealing the points.

However, what you miss is the fact that Nordstrom offers him the option to return the merchandise (which he accepts through performance). The points were a consequence of the transaction, and the transaction expressly provided the right to return the merchandise (I'm sure conditioned upon a return of the points). Thus, upon return, Nordstrom can debit these points from his BA account, or require him to repay the equivalent value, but there's nothing criminal about it.
Haha, I love the way people get so righteously indignant about responding to my original question. Thanks mzkaiser for putting it on a logical tip. I agree, if Nordstrom couldn't debit the points, then they'd just find some other way to get back the money. In the end, it's all business.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Haha, I love the way people get so righteously indignant about responding to my original question. Thanks mzkaiser for putting it on a logical tip. I agree, if Nordstrom couldn't debit the points, then they'd just find some other way to get back the money. In the end, it's all business.
And what if you pay by virtual CC, or a gift card?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by erasmus99
Have you heard a service call "collection agency"?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by erasmus99
Virtual credit cards are linked to some underlying account, not sure how those would hide anything?

Gift cards were purchased or funded somehow, right?

More importantly, don't you have the merchandise sent somewhere and to someone?

Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Cellos flying middle seats do not get accounts, but dog are living creatures who indeed are revenue earning passengers. Most miles programs say the miles belong to the airline, so no legal issue I am aware of as to whether the dog can "own" miles. But dogs may lack the legal capacity to agree to terms and conditions. But what if the dogs are sled dogs in Antarctica where legal capacity may be a grey area? Just whose law would govern whether an Antarctic sled dog can sign up for a BA account? Or a penguin, for that matter. These are the questions that keep the BA cardinals awake at night.

Can Cardinal Fang ethically keep Canine Fang out of the Executive Club?

Originally Posted by econjon
+1

Ethical question: Can our dog have an account?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by burdender
Sure why not....question how are multiple accounts going to help? Why not just go one big order.
I was thinking about the other BA offer for 3k points.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:42 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Originally Posted by econjon
+1

Ethical question: Can our dog have an account?
Don't know about an Executive Club account but my cat has several credit cards.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:43 pm

[QUOTE=mzkaiser;17978663]Virtual credit cards are linked to some underlying account, not sure how those would hide anything?

Gift cards were purchased or funded somehow, right?

I called Nordstroms CS and they said the limit for buying gift cards was $1000
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: Several dozen
I manage a colony of 15 feral cats, but sad to say none have signed up for a frequent flyer account, a credit card or a debit card. Not a one of the felines ever bought dollar coins or opened a bank account for miles either. Like many people we know, they are suspicious or just not interested in flying free.

Originally Posted by ned
Don't know about an Executive Club account but my cat has several credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.