New to this - a few quick questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to this - a few quick questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Amberite
3. Most importantly - Mainly, accruing points is done through signing up for credit cards. I've heard both arguments - that it doesn't affect your credit at all, and that it does. Which is it really?
As most say, the inquiries don't hurt you much, however, the loss of average age of accounts and the number of new accounts can hurt you much more depending on what your credit file is currently composed of.

When I started doing this my score dropped like 60 points the first time. Now after a couple years my file is thicker and I only lose maybe 20-30 points if I get 4 new cards. My score usually recovers to where it was before if I do nothing for 6 months.

As others have said, your fico score only needs to be about 720 to get these cards. If you don't plan on applying for a loan in the next year, then it really does not matter whether your score is 720 or 820. Even if you were looking to apply for a mortgage, anything beyond 760 is not going to get you a better rate.

You can play around on a FICO simulator to get a feel for how it all may affect your score.
http://www.myfico.com/FICOCreditScor...Estimator.aspx
You can also learn a lot about how the FICO score works on the myfico.com community forums.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Amberite
1. From what I can gather, 95% of the ways of getting miles and hotel points is through credit card promotions, is this right?
2. There aren't really any great hotel programs, except maybe Starwoods?
1. 95% is likely to be true for FTalkers who mainly read MilesBuzz. Some of us simply fly a lot. An EXP on AA is getting at least 200K RDM in order to re-qualify each year.
2. Starwood is great but you have to be PLT (i.e., stay quite often) i order to enjoy it fully. If you are only focusing on CC, I suggest to look at HHonors. HHonors would give you their GLD and even the top-tier Diamond status based just on CC spending. SPG GLD is nice but for stays outside USA HHonors GLD is better. Personally, I do not even have HHonors credit card.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Checking your credit score is not the same as a financial institution getting their version of your credit score for deciding whether to lend you money.
The score was actually reported to me by the bank that has recently taken over Diners Club. It was in a letter from the bank explaining the new terms, credit limit, and payment schedule they had set up. So it actually was a financial institution getting my score, not just me checking it.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by JerryFF
The score was actually reported to me by the bank that has recently taken over Diners Club. It was in a letter from the bank explaining the new terms, credit limit, and payment schedule they had set up. So it actually was a financial institution getting my score, not just me checking it.
Just as a example, I was 801 last year when I took out a home loan. I have 4 CC's with 7-10 years. I've opened 6 new cards this year. My credit usually goes down 3-5 points per card and after 2-3 months is back in the 790's. I plan on cancelling 5 of them when they hit 1 year because I don't like paying $50-$100 per card in fees. Every card I opened had the 1st year waived. Good luck, read, listen and learn.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:27 pm

Here is a pretty extreme example. In November, I did a big App-O-Rama:

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
Has anyone scored 500,000 points or more in a single App-O-Rama?

I'm on track to do it. It includes 13 card applications (so far, 10 are confirmed approved). The beauty of it is that I only expect 7 or 8 inquiries. Once my credit score "bounces back", I may still have difficulty getting approvals due to a high number of new accounts, but I'll worry about that later. I estimate more than $5,000 in value from this churn.

Here is a list of the cards involved:
Amex Gold Business - 50,000
Amex SPG Business - 25,000
Amex Delta Gold Business - 30,000
Citi ThankYou Premier - 50,000
Citi ThankYou Preferred - 50,000
BoA Alaskan Airlines - 25,000
BoA Hawaiian Airlines - 35,000
BoH Hawaiian Airlines - 35,000
Chase Ink Bold Business - 50,000
Chase Priority Club - 60,000
Barclays Travelocity - 20,000
Barclays US Airways - 40,000
Discover Miles - 12,000

More details here.
And here is the recap, one month later:

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
It has been exactly a month since my Super-Mega-App-O-Rama and it’s time for the credit report update. If you’ve been following along you will remember that when I checked my credit report on Nov 15, CreditSecure showed no impact to my credit scores. Well, my scores now reflect my churning activity and all those new inquiries and accounts sure pack a whallop! 44 points to be exact.

I expected this to be a useful experiment to demonstrate the impact aggressive churning can have on a credit score. My new score results are evidence of how large that impact can be.

Read more about it here.
Everyone's score will be affected a little differently, based on the strength of their credit profile.

I recommend starting with a 3-4 card app to see what happens. Then wait 2 or 3 months until the next one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.