Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer points?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: U.S. Airways
Transfer points?

Can someone please guide me on the transfer of points from U.S. Airways to Continental? I have recently moved from Philadelphia, a US Air hub, to Houston, a Continental hub. How can my 250,000 US Air points be maximized with Continental? Thank you.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:01 pm

Since US Airways is a Star Alliance carrier, you can use your US Airways miles to book awards on Continental/United or any other Star Alliance carrier.

I don't believe you can transfer miles from US Airways to Continental, unless you want to use points.com and lose a huge percentage of the value (which I would never recommend). You can still credit miles earned on United/Continental to US Airways if you choose. Or you can start accumulating miles and status on United/Continental.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by GregBA
Can someone please guide me on the transfer of points from U.S. Airways to Continental? I have recently moved from Philadelphia, a US Air hub, to Houston, a Continental hub. How can my 250,000 US Air points be maximized with Continental? Thank you.
Points can't be transferred.

But as Continental and USAIR are both Star Alliance, you can book continental award flights with your USAIR miles through USAIR. Call them up and ask for details.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Points can't be transferred.

But as Continental and USAIR are both Star Alliance, you can book continental award flights with your USAIR miles through USAIR. Call them up and ask for details.
Better still, read post #1 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...ad-merged.html -- and then read as many of the latest pages as you have time for. The discussion is amazingly informative.

P.S. Welcome to FlyerTalk, OP!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Caution, I am not familiar with some of the points transfer strategies. however, you might try moving your points from US Airways thru a hotel program and then to UAL's program. As an example (perhaps poor), Amex doesn't allow conversion to AA miles. Recently I moved Amex points thru SPG to AA to pick up 50,000 miles. Not sure if it was very efficient or how your math might work, but you might try some combinations.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by george 3
Caution, I am not familiar with some of the points transfer strategies. however, you might try moving your points from US Airways thru a hotel program and then to UAL's program.
Under no circumstances should anyone do this.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GregBA
Burn them on First Class trips on Thai Airways for 1 trip and the other trip on Lufthansa! Or do multiple trips to Europe/South America/Asia/Caribbean in economy. DON'T TRANSFER TO HOTELS!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:07 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Under no circumstances should anyone do this.
Originally Posted by krpjr
DON'T TRANSFER TO HOTELS!
Very few airline programs offer the ability to transfer miles to any other program. Does US even offer this option, except through Points.com (which would involve about an 80% loss of value, if I recall correctly)?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I stand corrected - did the math for a theoretical move of points within the hotel programs I'm involved and one airline program that I rarely use and agree with previous posters. Stay away from move through hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.