AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Did your transaction show up on eShopping or you have to send the request for investigation?
The transaction showed up on eShopping about two weeks ago without having to request for it. I have been one of the lucky ones so far.

Good luck to all.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:34 pm
Suspended

I find it amusing that Cartera is surfing the forum yet not making an effort to participate in the discussion
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Stoughton
I find it amusing that Cartera is surfing the forum yet not making an effort to participate in the discussion
Considering their past blunders their attorney should go over every word they say with a fine legal comb.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 31, 2011 at 4:11 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
I'm amused that Cartera thinks that tossing us a bone is a binding release of liability.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL GM
I got the 2500+2500 offer as well. Do I need to do anything to "accept" this offer, or will the first 2500 miles automatically post on my AA account within 10 days now that I have finally received an e-mail?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I'm amused that Cartera thinks that tossing us a bone is a binding release of liability.
"Release of liability"? I assume you're not a lawyer. I can't conceive of the theory under which Cartera would legally owe you for this mistake. Have you ever, ever heard of a single instance where someone won a court case for a mistaken price of this magnitude?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by mase
do we have to accept this or do they do it automatically? the email I got doesn't say anything about taking any action. I went and made one purchase through the site.
They do this automatically hoping this will shame you into being quiet.

Some people are happy with the 2500 miles, over 150 of us are not. If you would like to fight it, understand what we are doing about it, come join us in our google group. email me your address and I will send you an invite
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdxflyerguy
Have you ever, ever heard
I assume you don't have a baccalaureate.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
"Release of liability"? I assume you're not a lawyer. I can't conceive of the theory under which Cartera would legally owe you for this mistake. Have you ever, ever heard of a single instance where someone won a court case for a mistaken price of this magnitude?
Yes.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL GM
I'm not a contract lawyer, although I do recall from Contracts I that while typically mutual mistake, by both parties, is grounds to excuse a contract, unilateral mistake is also grounds for setting aside the contract if the mistaken party (Cartera) makes an error that the other party knows or should know/reasonably suspect is an error. It'd be a stretch for any court to determine that FTers had no suspicion that the 83k miles for $5 could be an error or mistake on Cartera's part.

In layman's terms, if the price seemed "too good to be true" enough that it was a pretty blatant error or glitch, you've got a unilateral mistake that is likely to be a valid defense.

Although I do salute the valiance of those holding out for the 83,000 miles.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I assume you don't have a baccalaureate.
LOL, awesome.

I assume you haven't read the FT T&C's, as multiple user names/handles are expressly prohibited. @:-)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
I'm not a contract lawyer, although I do recall from Contracts I that while typically mutual mistake, by both parties, is grounds to excuse a contract, unilateral mistake is also grounds for setting aside the contract if the mistaken party (Cartera) makes an error that the other party knows or should know/reasonably suspect is an error. It'd be a stretch for any court to determine that FTers had no suspicion that the 83k miles for $5 could be an error or mistake on Cartera's part.

In layman's terms, if the price seemed "too good to be true" enough that it was a pretty blatant error or glitch, you've got a unilateral mistake that is likely to be a valid defense.

Although I do salute the valiance of those holding out for the 83,000 miles.
This is exactly right. This isn't even close. Cartera is scrambling because you people are causing problems for them. But I guarantee no legal team is worried about coughing up 83,000 miles to everyone who bought a phone charger.

To the person above who said "yes," I'd truly be interested in hearing about such a case.

EDIT: In case anyone cares about the underlying legal (or moral) issues, one major question here is whether the buyer reasonably believed that Verizon meant to offer $800+ worth of miles for a $5 purchase. The folks here were all talking about the big mistake at the Verizon store, and everyone was rushing to take advantage of it. Did any of you really believe that Verizon really intended to make the proffered deal?

Last edited by pdxflyerguy; Aug 31, 2011 at 6:53 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Did anyone get their money back from Verizon on their returns??? I have a $5 refund which is rediculous compared to what I paid. Even if this is just for the first order that was returned. Lemmie guess they charged $10 return shipping fee for refusing my package
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: A few
I've been watching this thread following along for entertainment value and just to see how it would all pan out. I have refrained from comment so far, but this one tickled me. So to answer your question, yes: see this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3704669.stm

Of course this is in a different jurisdiction, there were far more wronged parties, and it was not so much a blatant error as a foolish promo. But heck it sure was "this magnitude" in fact it was much, much bigger
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Following Cartera's advice, I sent a message via the AAdvantage portal and provided them with my order info and I have not received a reply yet. It's been 5 days - anyone else in the same boat? I don't care for the 83K miles - I'm just looking for the bonus that everyone else seems to have been offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.