AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by geaux_tigers
errr... based on what I've seen some people claim to have purchased, you're talking tens of millions of dollars in claims - maybe more I know friends of mine who've never done ANYTHING for miles and they did this.

I think a multi-billion dollar corporations such as AA and Verizon probably have some pretty decent in-house counsel, wouldn't you?
Let's get the order count. Order numbers during the start of this thread and towards the end. I am sure it won't be tens of millions. That, and then you don't know the discounted rate of miles. AA gives away several times this amount of miles in promotional deals (such as double miles) every month.

Naysaysers abound no matter what deal we talk about. Go back and look at the C1 deal. That was so plain vanilla legitimate but people questioned and debated that to no end. Let's not even bring the expedia canada deal into picture but if you want, try to calculate how many $300 credits exepdia canada handed out to americans, europeans etc (clearly not the intended audience of the promotion) instead of taking it to court. In the expedia canada deal, the terms said "canada bookings only" - stronger case for expedia than AA/verizon have here. But what did "canada booking only" really mean - we did book through expedia canada. Let's assume 10,000 non-canada origination bookings (although I am sure there were more), that's 3000000 right there. Did they go to court?

I am not saying this will necessarily play out all positive and right from the get go. It might, it might take a fight, who knows. But why the attitude of "it just can't/won't/cannot possibly work". To a previous posters points, do airlines let you get away with changing a booking made in honest error? No, not without a fee. Why? Can they prove damages they would incur when there are seats available when you want to go? Not that I can think of. But those are the rules you sign up for when you "purchase" and then we are stuck. Same goes for them.

Last edited by learningtime; Aug 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
errr... based on what I've seen some people claim to have purchased, you're talking tens of millions of dollars in claims - maybe more I know friends of mine who've never done ANYTHING for miles and they did this.
I don't think any of us can know the scope given the breadth this deal got, the limited audience of those sites, and the anecdotal evidence that at least some people couldn't figure out how to order. There's probably also a subset that rather than clicking through AA E-Shopping went straight to Verizon's site and won't get anything.

I think a multi-billion dollar corporations such as AA and Verizon probably have some pretty decent in-house counsel, wouldn't you?
Which still cost money. They're not sitting idle at their desks, so there's at the very least the opportunity cost at their salaried rate. And for things like this, in-house counsel often directs activities and contracts out the rest of the work that needs to be done on a specific case/issue to another firm for research, clerical, etc.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
Ethically/Morally:

Is it right to take advantage of an obvious mistake?
Knowing that it is a mistake, should you have even placed the order?

(We all know it was a mistake and nobody should take the high & mighty road without potentially lying to themselves).

Big or small company: It doesn't matter.

We all make mistakes and many (not all) try to do the right thing. Receiving 84k in miles for a $3 purchase isn't going to fly in court or public opinion.

So, take a deep breath and be honest to yourself.

If you had made this mistake on your website and it was your company, would you honor the order if it meant driving you out of business?

How many times has Amazon had a price mistake and the order wasn't honored.

If AA/vendor/Verizon gives a token settlement, take it and be happy.
Otherwise return the item for no cost and call it an exercise in futility with a low chance of probability.

Otherwise I believe your expectations are unrealistic and your integrity is questionnable...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do unto others as you would have done to you. Still good advice today.

Give me a good deal to try your product and I'll snap it up. Pop up a mistake fare/product and I'll snap it up. Say it's an honest mistake that honoring will create an undue burden on your organization. Fair enough and I'll evaluate whether I want to do business with you in the future but I'm not in for all this legal nonsense.

Go hug your child. Make a chalk outline on the sidewalk and skip rocks with your adult wife till the neighbors point and laugh from their front porch. There are better ways to burn the brief wick we're all given.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
One thing FT mega threads like this do show is the need for a backend overhaul of FT.

* Wiki's at the beginning of threads
* Ratings for individual messages so I can zip through 100 pages reading only the recommended **** posts or better
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:16 pm

Would love to see some small business owners or people with responsibility for budgets etc. in companies on this thread and how they would feel if this happened to them on their watch. Bet you'd be singing a different tune.

Unless it is shown that this was intentionally done by AA/Verizon/Cartera in order to get a bunch of customers and their information - which at this point I highly doubt - I would be willing to bet that you will not get your 83k miles per purchase. Anyone want to wager?

If they refund your money and even let you keep the product you purchased how are you not made whole?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Verizon Financials (from Wikipedia, linked to Verizon's annual report):

Revenue US$ 106.565 billion (2010)
Operating income US$ 14.645 billion (2010)
Net income US$ 10.217 billion (2010)
Total assets US$ 220.005 billion (2010)
Total equity US$ 86.912 billion (2010)

The company made 10 billion dollars in profit (on 100 billion in revenue, so 10% margin... nice!). Even if this cost them 100 million dollars to fix (which nobody has suggested it would), that's still only 1% of their net income, and .1% of their gross revenues. Very, very small money.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by iluvthsgam
If they refund your money and even let you keep the product you purchased how are you not made whole?
As discussed earlier, the concept of "made whole" is a common law concept that doesn't have true application here. To be made whole, I'd have to receive what I paid for - the product and 83,000 AAdvantage miles.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Would love to see some small business owners or people with responsibility for budgets etc. in companies on this thread and how they would feel if this happened to them on their watch. Bet you'd be singing a different tune.

Unless it is shown that this was intentionally done by AA/Verizon/Cartera in order to get a bunch of customers and their information - which at this point I highly doubt - I would be willing to bet that you will not get your 83k miles per purchase. Anyone want to wager?

You are absolutely correct - unless it is proven this was INTENTIONALLY done to mislead customers, intentionally done with no intention of fulfilling, etc, then it's not going to stand a chance.

There are so many examples. Let's say I list a pencil on Amazon.com for $1, and some other seller changes the description to say "also includes an ounce of pure gold!" .. and I ship the pencil, and the customer complains they didn't get their ounce of gold. I am under NO OBLIGATION to provide the gold - but I am under an obligation to refund their $1 they paid if the description did not match.

Those saying that even if they get a refund on the purchase price, that they still have a case, are just plain stupid and don't know what they are talking about.

This would fall in the category of any price mistake. And price mistakes are only liable for damages if it is shown it was intentionally done with fraudulent purpose. If not, then the most you can get out of it is a refund, unless they are gracious and give more miles, etc.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:22 pm

hey got my order delivered.. it is only 15$ LOL...so should i wait for a mail stating that u can return for refund and no stocking fee..
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:23 pm

This is why businesses (should) carry Errors & Omissions Insurance.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by mreed911
Verizon Financials (from Wikipedia, linked to Verizon's annual report):

Revenue US$ 106.565 billion (2010)
Operating income US$ 14.645 billion (2010)
Net income US$ 10.217 billion (2010)
Total assets US$ 220.005 billion (2010)
Total equity US$ 86.912 billion (2010)

The company made 10 billion dollars in profit (on 100 billion in revenue, so 10% margin... nice!). Even if this cost them 100 million dollars to fix (which nobody has suggested it would), that's still only 1% of their net income, and .1% of their gross revenues. Very, very small money.
That's the dumbest correlation I've read. First, you don't compare it to income, you compare it to PROFIT. Second - money is money, and just because it is from a large corporate does not make it any different than it coming from your local mom and pop hardware store. One should never have prejudice because a company is "large". Money is money. Don't be stupid.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
5. Stress Stage 2

Stress Stage 2
Emphasis mine
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k

A classic post. This was not a fare mistake but it sort of applies.
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Ahhhh....the emotional phases of a mistake fare.
5. Stress Stage 2 - Rumors of fare not being honored, discussion threads about the airline and ticketing agency ensue. Rumors crop up like crabgrass at this stage. Many FTers begin to worry excessively about whether or not the trip will happen. Novices make non-refundable and financial committments to their trip. Seasoned FTers make mixed drinks (and maybe a sandwich) and is patient.
It's lunch time in PHX

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Aug 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:26 pm

Would love to see some small business owners or people with responsibility for budgets etc. in companies on this thread and how they would feel if this happened to them on their watch.
Business owner right here
First:
Once this was known I would have frozen all shipments (They did not do this)
I would have takin all ordering off-line untill this was repaired (They did not do this either)
After all was frozen I then would have found the estimated cost of damage to fulfill all agreements
Then I would have contacted my insurance company
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Eryeal
That's the dumbest correlation I've read. First, you don't compare it to income, you compare it to PROFIT. Second - money is money, and just because it is from a large corporate does not make it any different than it coming from your local mom and pop hardware store. One should never have prejudice because a company is "large". Money is money. Don't be stupid.
Look at how the numbers are presented. That *is* their profit (link to definition of Net Income on Investopedia). Operating income is listed... expenses are deducted... and net income is left.

10 million to a 100,000/year business is huge. 10 million to a 100 billion a year business making profits of 10 billion is, well, 1% of their profits. Sizable, but not huge.

Before you call someone stupid, make sure you actually know what you're talking about.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cohall
You'd be wrong.

Ever seen slot machine that malfunctions and incorrectly indicates that someone has won a jackpot? Guess what? That person doesn't get the jackpot, they get their quarter back. And please quit trying to fool yourself into believing you thought it was a legitimate offer. Everyone here knew it wasn't. It's embarrassing.
While you make a good point, I doubt you have conducted a survey among "everyone here" on whether it was a legitimate offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.