AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
ok, now I know it is a hasle free return by refusal...
but should I stay or should I go....

--------------------------
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless about your Internet Order Reference Number xxxxxxxxx. You are correct once you refuse this order FEDEX tracking number xxxxxxxxxxxx and it has been received and processed you will receive a full refund for your order. This will be issued back to your original method of payment and can take 7-10 business days once we have received this return.

Thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services.
We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Marjorie
Verizon Wireless
Internet Order Center
866-338-7390

Last edited by MrHalliday; Aug 12, 2011 at 11:09 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mreed911
Prove that.
Sure:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16900681-post859.html

If this was not a pricing error, why the fear of someone calling them?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by leebids1
I'm a frequent reader/infrequent poster here and, yes, I am an attorney. And I've sued some cell phone companies in the past. NO I am not trolling for plaintiffs for a class action suit (not my gig these days). And I am NOT PROVIDING ADVICE on the legal merits of any claim. But I have something to point out to people who are not satisfied with how this is going.

If you are a Verizon Wireless customer, you likely "agreed" to be bound the arbitration clause in the customer service agreement and this outlines the process to follow "if there's an issue that needs to be resolved" related to Verizon. (Look about 2/3rds down the agreement) http://www.verizonwireless.com/customer-agreement.shtml Read parts 4 to 6 especially close.

Since cell phone companies are so afraid of class actions, they try to ban customers from bringing them- and the Supreme Court has gone along with it. In order to be able to tell courts that their customer's rights are still protected, the companies have drafted arbitration agreements that are supposed to make it relatively easy to bring small claims against the company. In fact, their agreement potentially requires them to pay the full costs of an arbitration, which is not cheap.

I've been very curious about how these arbitration clauses are likely to work out in practice. Arguably, the arbitration agreement outlines the process you must follow if you want to pursue a dispute involving Verizon in any way, but I doubt many people have ever actually gone through the process.

If anyone is going to do this, I'd like to know how it works out- please pm me or update us on this thread.
So by reading 4-6 I am going to plead my case to an arbitrator before going to file suit...
Really thinking what do I have to lose?

Originally Posted by ScottC
Comparing a $5 charger to a credit card signup deal is just plain silly -- you can't tell me with a straight face that you don't understand the difference between a long term credit relationship with a bank, and a charger purchased off an e-commerce site.
How about comparing a $60 pair of headphones for 83K miles in 2011 with $60 worth of pudding (240 cups @ $0.25 each) for 24K miles in 1999?

Anyone remember earlier this year when some store dropped the price of iPad 16GB WiFi by 40% and even employees of the store did not believe it? Anyone recall what store that was? Oh yeah, Verizon Wireless. Not that it is relevant or anything.

How about giving 3000 SPG points for liking us on Facebook?

The list goes on and on.

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Prove that.
None of us have have to. If this were to go to court (as you have suggested), as the plaintiff in this situation the burden of proof will be on you to show that you believed it to be a legitimate offer and not a mistake. You'll have to testify under oath either on the stand or in pre-trial depositions that you thought the offer was legitimate and not a mistake. Your contributions to this board will be entered into evidence as additional evidence, and weighed against your testimony.

Trying to take advantage of a mileage offer is one thing. Perjury is a felony and something else entirely. I advise against it.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by heat_fan1
Credit card sign-on deals are common. Giving 83,000 miles for a $5, or even $60, purchase is not common. You knew it was a mistake just like the rest of us.
Prove that.

Sure:

OWNED!!!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat, CO/UA, WN
Sure:

Well done, ScottC. You are now a hero of mine.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ibrick
So by reading 4-6 I am going to plead my case to an arbitrator before going to file suit...
Really thinking what do I have to lose?
My reading is that you first use their "free internal mediation program". If you can't resolve it with a telephonic mediation, you can file for arbitration, which they will pay for.

Yes, very little to lose.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:21 am

Prove that.
I'm gonna kick myself when I don't get the 503,226 that get me over 1MM... and only get the 251,613 instead because I was chicken and only did the mounts.
If AAdvantage EShopping made the error, they're responsible for crediting the miles. It's all in who made the entry... and who's ultimately responsible for the miles posting.
For things like this you DO NOT CALL.
if it were Verizon's error and AA held them to it, AA could actually make a profit this quarter on sales of AA miles to Verizon to cover their goof and make AA customers whole.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:21 am

#GlitterGate on Twitter
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ldpeters
None of us have have to. If this were to go to court (as you have suggested), as the plaintiff in this situation the burden of proof will be on you to show that you believed it to be a legitimate offer and not a mistake. You'll have to testify under oath either on the stand or in pre-trial depositions that you thought the offer was legitimate and not a mistake. Your contributions to this board will be entered into evidence as additional evidence, and weighed against your testimony.

Trying to take advantage of a mileage offer is one thing. Perjury is a felony and something else entirely. I advise against it.
I BELIEVE I will get my miles. I'm going all the way regardless. Simple. REgardless if it was a mistake on AAdvantage Eshopping, I bought it because I saw the miles that came with the purchase. NOthing lied or faking about that.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:22 am

i heart falconred and ScottC
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ldpeters

Legitimate and foolish are not mutually exclusive.

Legitimate: clearly labeled, printed on the page, and a consummated deal based on those terms.

As to the "don't call" statement - that goes for nearly EVERY deal you find. You take advantage of the deal, and you don't call so that it isn't pulled. Has nothing to do with legitimacy. And, I'd assert that Verizon completing the deal by shipping product makes it legitimate.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leebids1
I'm a frequent reader/infrequent poster here and, yes, I am an attorney. And I've sued some cell phone companies in the past. NO I am not trolling for plaintiffs for a class action suit (not my gig these days). And I am NOT PROVIDING ADVICE on the legal merits of any claim. But I have something to point out to people who are not satisfied with how this is going.

If you are a Verizon Wireless customer, you likely "agreed" to be bound the arbitration clause in the customer service agreement and this outlines the process to follow "if there's an issue that needs to be resolved" related to Verizon. (Look about 2/3rds down the agreement) http://www.verizonwireless.com/customer-agreement.shtml Read parts 4 to 6 especially close.

Since cell phone companies are so afraid of class actions, they try to ban customers from bringing them- and the Supreme Court has gone along with it. In order to be able to tell courts that their customer's rights are still protected, the companies have drafted arbitration agreements that are supposed to make it relatively easy to bring small claims against the company. In fact, their agreement potentially requires them to pay the full costs of an arbitration, which is not cheap.

I've been very curious about how these arbitration clauses are likely to work out in practice. Arguably, the arbitration agreement outlines the process you must follow if you want to pursue a dispute involving Verizon in any way, but I doubt many people have ever actually gone through the process.

If anyone is going to do this, I'd like to know how it works out- please pm me or update us on this thread.
I am not a Verizon wireless customer. I saw the miles deal and placed an order. I expect them to honor the mileage even if it was a mistake. I'm not saying it was. I've seen plenty of promotions to get people to buy something hoping others will eventually buy just at a higher price. I not lanning on droping this. I guess with todays social media outlets someone could create a lot of negative publicity for a company. Having owned a company for over 20 years I would rather settle quietly and have it all go away. If Verizon or Cartera Commerce wants to make a resonsible offer I think it would be in their best interest. Some have stated they received emails for 2500 miles. I have not received one, but in my opinion 2500 miles is not a reasonable offer. These days companies have to be very careful how they advertise or stand the chance facing an onslaught of unhappy people. I've seen things go viral over less. So if Verizon or Cartera Commerce reads this, consider me as one who will not less this go. Their bigger than me, but the internet is bigger than both of us. Again, I think a reasonable offer would make all concerned very happy. JMHO.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Classactionman
I'm going all the way regardless.
I believe that, in the end, you won't go all the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.