Best use of 110K Capital One points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of 110K Capital One points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
My plan, albeit not one that will allow me to get more value out of it like some people's, is to use the $1100 for MR hotel stays that I had planned to do anyway before even hearing about this card. I have a fast track to diamond w/Hilton for which I need 7 nights, and I also plan on trying to requalify for Hyatt Diamond by mattress runs, which will probably cost me about $1300 all in. The only thing I'll be losing out on is the hotel points that I would have earned had I used my Hyatt or Hilton Surpass card for these purchases instead of the Venture card.

To me, it's $1100 I would spend anyway, so it's like having that cash back!!

Now if we could only get the freakin' code!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
I read OY (over yonder as in milepoint.com) that you can also use these points/pennies/scrip to pay for annual timeshare maintenance fees. With 5 timeshares I'm getting giddy.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:55 pm

Can the $1,000 spend be satisfied with a $1,000 Mint purchase? And once the 112,000 points are acquired, can they be applied as a $1,120 statement credit against any kind of purchases? For instance, could I buy a $1,120 camera and use the points to reduct my bill to $0 via a statement credit?

Last edited by bpbenda; Mar 15, 2011 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by bpbenda
Can the $1,000 spend be satisfied with a $1,000 Mint purchase? And once the 112,000 points are acquired, can they be applied as a $1,120 statement credit against any kind of purchases? For instance, could I buy a $1,120 camera and use the points to reduct my bill to $0 via a statement credit?
No, the points can only be redeemed as a statement credit against purchases that are coded a "travel" (hotel, airfare, some say taxi's work, etc.)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by davem666
If you fly southwest you can always buy a southwest ticket, get the reimbursement from Cap1, then cancel the southwest ticket for full credit.
Originally Posted by wolberine
Man, this move is totally the winner..can't believe I haven't thought of it before. I typically look for travel costs as close to $150 or $350 levels as possible to maximize yield. If I go this route I should be able to find something right at the thresholds.
This makes no sense to do because the credit is returned to your Venture card (both the points redemption and the southwest charge). Only advantage I see to this is that now you would have a $1,100 credit on your Venture card in which you can spend against anything, instead of just travel.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by iluvthsgam
This makes no sense to do because the credit is returned to your Venture card (both the points redemption and the southwest charge). Only advantage I see to this is that now you would have a $1,100 credit on your Venture card in which you can spend against anything, instead of just travel.
Southwest does not refund to your credit card, they refund to Southwest credit. So you would basically be transferring the C1 credit to Southwest Credit. Probably most useful if you have the C1 annual fee coming due and want to cancel and our a frequent enough Southwest flyer that you will use $1100 over the next year.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Apple Ipad for 109,000 points.

dh
Not sure that is the best value since you can pick up an ipad for a couple hundred dollars.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:56 am

Can the $1,000 spend be satisfied with a $1,000 Mint purchase?
Anyone know the answer to this?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I read OY (over yonder as in milepoint.com) that you can also use these points/pennies/scrip to pay for annual timeshare maintenance fees. With 5 timeshares I'm getting giddy.
thanks for sharing this info
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I assume no probem using these points
to offset taxes charged on a reward ticket ??
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:11 pm
Suspended

I can forsee a NY-MEL trip upcoming this summer for apx 21k+ in EQMs , if oil haults its constant up ticking
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:20 pm

it hasn't been mentioned in the coin thread so I am guessing it would satisfy the 1k spend requirement.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by davem666
Southwest does not refund to your credit card, they refund to Southwest credit. So you would basically be transferring the C1 credit to Southwest Credit. Probably most useful if you have the C1 annual fee coming due and want to cancel and our a frequent enough Southwest flyer that you will use $1100 over the next year.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about purchasing a refundable southwest ticket. But, in your case, yes you are trading a credit for any travel purchase with credit on Southwest - that also expires 1 year from date of original booking - keep that in mind as well.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Where are you seeing a new iPad for a couple oh hundred dollars? I agree 109k might not be a great deal for the iPad but it is not a couple of hundred dollars
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam
it hasn't been mentioned in the coin thread so I am guessing it would satisfy the 1k spend requirement.
We have to collectively stop answering these constantly repeated questions. If they can't read but one page in the coin thread to figure this out, then, let them sweat and get frustrated for never knowing the answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.