Best use of 110K Capital One points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of 110K Capital One points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by RewardTraveler
When I tried to redeem for cash, I was quoted 1/2 a cent...
Of course. It's only when you redeem for previous travel that you get 1/1.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by scwam
Of course. It's only when you redeem for previous travel that you get 1/1.
I agree, but the screenshot of the non-travel redemption shows a 1c value. I am guessing if the calculator shows a 1c redemption, it will pay out a 1c redemption.

The post before mine insinuated that even though the calculator showed 1c it would only pay out 1/2 a cent.

With my post I was just trying to show that in my case the calculator worked according to the terms of the program.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:06 am

I still think the best use of my 100K Capital One points was exchanging it for pre-paid gas cards. That's like real $$$ to me!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Hofu
I still think the best use of my 100K Capital One points was exchanging it for pre-paid gas cards. That's like real $$$ to me!
I was lucky enough to get in on the Ovation certificates, those made me very happy!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:10 am

This is a trick I just figure out... Not sure if it has been discussed before...

If you want to get the 1:1 credit besides 1:.5 you can book hotels online and then cancel them. The booking still shows up in the "Redeem for Previous Travel" category though. So essentially it is like getting a normal credit on your card for 1:1.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by poorbanker
This is a trick I just figure out... Not sure if it has been discussed before...

If you want to get the 1:1 credit besides 1:.5 you can book hotels online and then cancel them. The booking still shows up in the "Redeem for Previous Travel" category though. So essentially it is like getting a normal credit on your card for 1:1.
You can do this. But if you want a redemption that is less than the cancelled booking, I would try and book with Expedia, or Hotels.com. These bookings give you the option of doing partial redemptions of the entire charge. Somehow Cap1 treats bookings through Expedia and Hotel.com as though you bought airline tickets, and when you buy airline tickets with your card you can choose to get reimburse for all or X number of the tickets on the order. If you booked straight through a hotel, then that charge cannot be partially redeemed.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:59 pm

Yeh. 1:1 is the best that I will be able to get - right?

Are there any tricks to get above that?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Make the redemption more than once. I did that a couple of times on hotel stay charges. Unless they have change it recently, the redeemable charge does not go away after doing a redemption on it. The charge stays active for 90 days.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:46 pm

What to do with 80K Cap1 miles?

Hi

I am not sure if this is an appropriate place for posting this. Sorry mods if it is in a wrong place.

Currently I have 80K Cap1 miles. I do not know what the best way is to do with those. Are these miles transferable to airline miles or hotel points? Any other options? Thanks for your input and your helpful information.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
gives you $800 worth of travel any way you would like to use it
Old May 5, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I would use it to get a $50 travel charge reimbursed 16 times.

Others have found value in getting a $25 travel charge reimbursed 32 times.
Old May 5, 2012, 8:49 pm

All Sarcasm aside, what other posters are saying is that Cap1 points really have just one purpose: Paying for anything travel related at a rate of 1c per point. So 80k Cap1 points are good for $800 worth of anything you can think of. A cheap flight somewhere, a few nights at a hotel, etc.

There's no way to get much more than the 1c out of them. When you see people here asking what to do with X thousand airline miles that is because airline miles' value varies based on what you use them for. From under 1cent per piece up to 3-4 cents per piece.

For example I could easily use 80K Airline miles for $2800+ worth of travel.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:44 pm

So far this year:
UA = 50K (Sapphire), 50K (Explorer, yet to post), 27K (Earned), 25K Fidelity (expecting 50, still talking with them)
Hilton = Hit 650K (about 100K added this year by card and hotel spend)
Marriott = 10K added by spend

That's it. Will wait few months and then go for some more card offers in winter.
Ash^
Old May 22, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Here's a curiosity I found about the CapOne rewrds. If the charge can represent multiple purchases, it allows you to say how many your purchased. And then it round the points down.

Case in point: I charged $1.49 airfare at United Airlines (no, it was not the mother of all MRs, don't get all excited). When going into the Cap1 site to redeem points for that $1.49, I can select how many tickets I purchased and how many I am redeeming for. If I select that I bought 1 ticket and am redeeming that that one ticket, it credits me $1.49 for 149 points. But if I select that I bought 10 tickets and want to redeem 10 tickets, it prices each ticket at 14 points with rounding down. So I can redeem 10x14=140 points for $1.49. A redemption rate of 2.128% cashback.

Taken to the extreme, I suppose someone will now find a way to charge a $0.09 airfare, and redeem 10x0 points for $0.09, for a totally free $0.09.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Just a data point for anyone wanting to utilize their Cap1 miles for Disney tickets. You'll have to call and speak to a CSR to have them use the miles for the ticket purchase at the lower redemption rate. For whatever reason, their website does not identify a Disney ticket purchase as 'travel related' .

FWIW, it was pretty easy to get the CSR to redeem at the proper rate. He even mentioned there is a 'glitch' with their system sometimes charging double miles if you attempt to redeem similar purchases online. I think it's because it treats it as a 'normal' purchase that actually does require double miles.

Anyhoo, just wanted to put the info out there in case someone else finds themselves in the same boat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.