Reload this Page >

Dream Trips! Why are we saving miles?

Old Apr 25, 99, 10:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32

We talk a lot about "getting" miles, but very little about how we plan to use them.

I guess its possible that we are all "a half a bubble off of plumb" and just collect miles to collect miles. (We had a Collector Woman in our city who died owning 19 pianos, 54 cats and a copy of every local newspaper published in the last three decades.)

But I doubt that is the case with most Webflyer folk. You all appear to be intelligent, sophisticated, logical and (for the most part) sober types, who must have some grand plan. I would love to hear what you do with your miles and where your imaginations go.

Fancy trips, huge donations, generous gifts????? We use a bunch of miles to upgrade seats and drag kids along on business trips. I also gave my financial assistant 2 first class tickets to Hawaii for her honeymoon, and my housekeeper and massage therapist two tickets each across country to visit family, just to let them know how important they are in my life.

Our dream is to use our Marriott points for a 20 day fly/stay anywhere-in-the-system reward, followed by a 10 day cruise in the Mediterranean to kick off our retirement. Someday, I'd like to give my hubby a trip on the Concorde for his birthday, just because he loves the machine.

What amazing things do you plan to do?
Old Apr 26, 99, 12:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
From NY:

*I've been to Egypt First Class on TWA
*Sent my grandparents First Class on TWA to the passion play in Oberamagau, Germany (spelling?)
*First Class on CO and a stay at the Maui Marriott
*BusinessFirst on CO to Rome (NIP)

From LA:
*In June going First Class on BA to London and Austria

Still have plenty more miles and hotel points. Hope to go to HKG some day and back to South Africa for pleasure.
Old Apr 26, 99, 2:43 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
flingo: your german spelling is better then my english: Oberammergau.

mileage usage 1998:
* UA: 2-person-award international first-class for brother & me to Superbowl in San Diego (Jan 98).
* SR: free ticket ZRH-CDG (Paris) for french-tennis-open (Roland Garros) in May-98, Gisela and me.
* UA: 2-person-award international first-class for Gisela & me to Vancouver (Whistler) & Aspen (skiing: Nov/Dec 98).
* UA: upgrading Rio-Miami-San-Francisco-Seattle from eco to business (on my round-the world in Sep 98)

mileage usage 1999:
* UA: upgrade SJU-ORD (to secure seat beside Matt Wald at booking time, march-99)
* SR: free ticket ZRH-CDG (Paris) for french-tennis-open (Roland Garros) in May-99
* UA: gift for Gisela's 50th birthday, 2-person-award international first-class for skiing to Vancouver (Whistler) & Aspen (Feb/March 99).
* LH: upgrade: Zurich-Frankfurt-Philadelphia // Detroit-Frankfurt-Zurich from eco to business (paid eco SFr 495 = $ 330) in May-99.
* LH: upgrade paid business to intern. first on the LH Frankfurt-Singapor-segment on my first-99 round the world in aug/sep-99, alone)
* LH: upgrade paid business to intern first for start of round the world in nov-99 for Gisela and me: Frankfurt-Los Angeles (nov-4 going to the P-i-P)
* UA: secure first on LAX-HNL segment for Gisela and me on the P-i-P Express (nov-4-99)

UA one-way-upgrade-vouchers (US/Canada/Puerto Rico/Mexico): I have and will get more than enough of those vouchers to upgrade any UA flight from paid (discounted, Skyfare-eco-segment-coupons, average-price per flight-number = DM 120 = $ 75) eco to first (business on 3-class-flights).
Old Apr 26, 99, 8:00 am

Right now, I'm just trying to get enough miles to get our nieces down here to Mickey-land from Ioway. 6 nieces - thankfully we're not foolish enough to try all of them at once. 2 at a time will be plenty! Tix to magicland are almost as much (4 day/4 parks) as buying the airfare will be. So anything to save a buck.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Apr 26, 99, 8:04 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I use mileage for spontaneous (non-budgeted) travel, such as (USAir redeemed on SwissAir) going to Turkey for a friend's wedding which he did not spring on me until 1 month in advance. Unplanned, unbudgeted, and a great experience which would not have been possible without the miles.

(This post elevates me from Junior Member to Member!)

[This message has been edited by chalf (edited 04-26-99).]
Old Apr 26, 99, 8:04 am

I've got a long range plan. In 3-5 years, I want to take the family (myself, my bride and my 3 little ones PLUS her parents and my mom and her boyfrield) on a two-week trip through Europe.

I haven't really figured out how many miles I need yet (especially since the reward levels could easily be different then), instead focusing on simply earning them. I hope to get around 150K by the end of this year, and earn 200K a year thereafter.
Old Apr 26, 99, 8:21 am
geo1004

Great question Punki: First, how can I get a job working for you??? I'll work for miles (...lots of 'em). Second, my situation is probably different than most on this board. I do not travel for my job so do not rack up the miles as quickly as most here do. I also pay my own airfares so my miles are VERY dear to me. In addition, I work in the noble, yet unappreciated (financially speaking) field of education. Thus, I can't afford a far-reaching, globe trotting vacation UNLESS I use miles to get there. So, I collect miles (double miles as a US Airways Preferred-Plus) all year long visiting family, friends, and steak houses all over the US (also toss in the cheap $400 off season trans-atlantic flight to Europe for spring break). Then, I use the miles once a year for my BIG vacation in the summer. I keep a balance of about 200k in my account and usually choose the "biggest bang for the miles" award for my vacation. Last summer it was a Business Class ticket to Italy for two weeks of veal, pasta and Chianti Classico. This summer I'm off to Australia for three weeks on Qantas in Business Class (can't wait to recline in the new "Dreamtime Seat" and sip an Australian Shiraz). I'll spend next school year building the account back up to 200k miles. Summer of the year 2000, either Thailand/Hong Kong or New Zealand (haven't decided yet). See you in the air and cheers to all...

Old Apr 26, 99, 10:06 am
Original Member

Saving for 80k of NW miles. For my wife and me. Upgrades or free tickets for skiing in Europe. A week. Preferably Switzerland. Need to get more details on where to go and where to fly into? Gen/Zurich?. January/February, 2000.

The "smart move" will be to use my NW miles on CO BusinessFirst rather than on NW/KLM business. Now, hopefully those "tight..." in Houston will open up a few award seats. We will not have exact dates until late September, thus the picking may not be good on CO. NW availability should be fine, I suspect.

And, in my considerations of upgrading on UA to Europe, I am piqued. I can upgrade only with certain fares, as many of you know. Would I pay an extra 400 per person for an upgradable fare, to upgrade to UA business class? I don't think so. Boo United. CO seems to have the best value for us.

Old Apr 26, 99, 10:19 am

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
I'm saving miles to take my sweetheart and myself to Japan. I also use some for an occasional upgrade treat for myself [until I make Elite and have easier access to other upgrades.]
Old Apr 26, 99, 10:50 am
Original Member

I use my FF miles as a reward/incentive for my kids. When they enter middle school, I make this offer: Take a foreign language, become proficient in it, and I will take you to Europe when you graduate. My daughter took the challenge, learned to speak French fairly well, and we spent a wonderful month following graduation in Germany, France, and England. My son, impressed by the photos and stories, has decided to take French next semester and is starting to make his plans for a trip after his high school graduation in six years. This doesn't make up for all the time I'm away from home (collecting FF miles) but it helps and my kids have a well-rounded education and love to travel.
Old Apr 26, 99, 11:17 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I am useing 120,000 this july to bring my 4 children back with me to UK to visit with their grandparents, old friends etc. leaving my wife the luxury of no children for 3 weeks. (She wants this, but i think she will hate it after the 2nd day, but i may be wrong, i often am.)
Old Apr 26, 99, 11:27 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
Double post.

[This message has been edited by SCMM (edited 04-27-99).]
Old Apr 26, 99, 1:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I just remembered another valuable use way we used miles. When my mom died we were quoted in excess of $10,000.00 for five same-day tickets to Florida. Gulp. The bereavement rate brought it down to a reduced rate of about $6,800.00.

I called the Alaska MVP Gold FF agent and she sought through all their partners and was finally able to get 5 award tickets on Northwest. Great service from Alaska and another good reason to bank miles with an airline that partners half the western world.
Old Apr 26, 99, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Great question! We are all so different, yet have this flying thing in common..I've often wondered the same thing myself.

Personally: Dynamite gifts at no cost to me, to my daughter, nieces and nephews, and sisters-in-law. Trips to everywhere. "Uncle Harry" can DO NO WRONG in my family!

Also, banking the miles so my wife and I can use them when I get off the road. Enough FF miles to last 10 years, plus Marriott points for Alaskan cruises for two and inclusive RT tickets, rental car and free 5-7 night stays at Marriott resort properties.

Of course, the above has to wait until I have time to use them. Something to do in my dottage. One day soon...

Oh...P.S. and OMNI...have some of the miles/points reserved for convincing some young dude that being in the Nechetsky family would not be all that bad..have young, tall, attractive, professional (RN, BSN nurse) daughter-- mother and father would very much like to be grandparents sometime in the coming millenium...we do bribes and have no shame!!!
Old Apr 26, 99, 1:31 pm
geo1004

OMNI- hnechets - Typical!!! After I give you a hard time over on the Jamaica thread, I find out you have an attractive, single daughter with MILES!!!. Why, why, why do I always shoot myself in the foot when it comes to love.

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 04-26-99).]

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 04-26-99).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: