Reload this Page >

Dream Trips! Why are we saving miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dream Trips! Why are we saving miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 1999, 3:12 pm

Unfortunately hnechets I was not allowed off the 727 on JON and only one guy (with a big grin on his face) got on. I did not have permission to stay on Kwaj, but while waiting on the tarmac I heard "Does Ft. Worth (My Birthplace)Ever Cross Your Mind" by George Strait on AFN radio. I got off at every other stop and bought a postcard and sent it to myself in the US. Stayed in HNL, PON, ROR & GUM. If I had some way to stay on Kwaj I would have, Golf course, beaches etc. This little American suburb in the middle of the Pacific.
This trip gave me the "Island Bug" hence the Maldives for my honeymoon. Even considered applying for an open position in the AG's office in PALAU (a Nation with fewer people than my Undergrad.)

Newgold (FKA BSL)

Sorry about the OMNI....
Old Jun 3, 1999, 9:10 am
Original Member

Great question. It's nice to read about where people wish to go using their miles. Me, I'm saving miles for 2 roundtrip Business Class tickets to Australia. I figure I should have enough miles to take the trip in 2001. I've been carrying over vacation also, so that I can go for 3 weeks.
Old Jun 3, 1999, 10:05 am
geo1004

DCRudeMan: Welcome to F/T and great choice of a "dream trip." My choice is identical. I've saved miles for several years (only dipping into the account for the occasional upgrade) and depart next month for 3 weeks in Australia via Qantas Biz Class!!! Watch for a trip report upon my return. Cheers

Old Jun 3, 1999, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
DCRudeman & geo1004:

I guess great minds think alike! This is exactly what I've saved up for. It only took me a little over 1 year for 2 biz class & I'm working on a potential 3rd (my mom & I are already going & my brother wants to tag along) My plan is going in 01/2001, maybe I'd see ya there DCRudeman!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Old Jun 3, 1999, 11:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
We're dreaming of Australia too.

We have never been there. Where should we go? How about New Zeland?
Old Jun 4, 1999, 8:03 am
Original Member

I've never been either, but my cousin went a couple of years ago and she had a blast. Before I leave I'll ask her where the hotspots are, and I look forward to your report geo1004. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 4, 1999, 3:01 pm
Commander Catcop

I too have use many many UA miles to fly free in FIRST to Australia.

I was still new to teh FF game and did not know of using the miles for upgrades and earning the flight miles for Premier or PremEx requalification.

But it was a wonderful trip. All I paid for was the Ansett inter-Oz flights.

So I got to Oz for about $1800 U.S. The $1600 airfare cancelled because I used miles for a free ticket.

OMNI: And it's a beautiful country; Ayres Rock, Alice Springs, the cities, the food, the Fosters, the women... AH!

I think I need to go back again (with a sidetrip to Kiwi Land!)

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 4, 1999, 4:21 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Add me to those who have used miles to go free to Australia (six times), including on United like Catman! Three years ago, with a UA expiration deadline looming, I decided to take the family in style on UA to OOL (Coolangata), Gold Coast. I was going to use mileage for it it all, but paid for my 7 year old sons ticket when I found out they actually would discount an already discounted ticket as a "childs" fare, even in business and first class. He got the mileage for his trip (almost a free domestic roundtrip) and we used the lefovers to take an extra free trip to Hawaii! It brought him up to PremEx when he was four years old!

My wife and I used miles to go to our wedding in St John, USVI and also for our honeymoon in Bali, Indonesia.

My same 7 year old son used some of his miles on NWA, which WERE due to expire, to buy his mom a trip present to BKK, Thailand last year, so he could return to his favorite city!

We usually try to use much of our mileage for upgrades and for free trips to the islands.
Old Jun 5, 1999, 4:08 am
In Memoriam

WRT Australia travel, in 1986 I had (finally) accumulated 150,000 miles, enough (then) for two first class to Australia. That was the plan. But that spring, United bought Pan Am's Asia routes, and they had a special: two first class to Hong Kong or Tokyo for only 87,500!! Both awards included five nights at a Westin; there's one in Tokyo but wasn't one in Australia. So we decided in about two day's time to visit Japan, one of my most memorable trips ever. (Back then the Yen was at 160/$, and everybody said it's so expensive. Today you'd kill for 160, and besides, who cares about expense when the air and first five nights are free?!)

Finally made it to Australia (two first class for 120,000 "old" miles) in '93, and New Zealand (same deal) in '94. Definitely recommend NZ over Australia: the cities rather reminded me of London (and I'd rather go to London), but the Great Barrier Reef was a mind-blower.
Old Jun 5, 1999, 9:18 am
mjm
Original Member

Just holding out for Singapore to get their award chart out for Star Alliance travel. My UA miles will be buying me Tokyo(Home)-Singapore-London and back in First. I think a little side trip while in Singapore to Disneyland for Adults (a.k.a. Jakarta) is also in order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.