FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dream Trips! Why are we saving miles?
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 1999, 7:21 am
geo1004

Great question Punki: First, how can I get a job working for you??? I'll work for miles (...lots of 'em). Second, my situation is probably different than most on this board. I do not travel for my job so do not rack up the miles as quickly as most here do. I also pay my own airfares so my miles are VERY dear to me. In addition, I work in the noble, yet unappreciated (financially speaking) field of education. Thus, I can't afford a far-reaching, globe trotting vacation UNLESS I use miles to get there. So, I collect miles (double miles as a US Airways Preferred-Plus) all year long visiting family, friends, and steak houses all over the US (also toss in the cheap $400 off season trans-atlantic flight to Europe for spring break). Then, I use the miles once a year for my BIG vacation in the summer. I keep a balance of about 200k in my account and usually choose the "biggest bang for the miles" award for my vacation. Last summer it was a Business Class ticket to Italy for two weeks of veal, pasta and Chianti Classico. This summer I'm off to Australia for three weeks on Qantas in Business Class (can't wait to recline in the new "Dreamtime Seat" and sip an Australian Shiraz). I'll spend next school year building the account back up to 200k miles. Summer of the year 2000, either Thailand/Hong Kong or New Zealand (haven't decided yet). See you in the air and cheers to all...