Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gce
lol, typo.
Figured, but I'm still not sure you have it.

After your $1,500 spend, you'll have 76,500 miles. Assuming -no- further activity on your AA account, those miles expire in 18 months

Anytime you have any sort of activity (CC purchase, use miles, bonus promotion, whatever), the clock resets to 18 months. You'd have to really neglect it to lose the miles.

As for the idea of getting a $100, the miles don't convert like that. YOu need to look at the AA warard chart to see how many miles you'll need to get someplace.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
My last 18+ months application (applied at 19th month) was unsuccessful.
(not first time card member). I'm a bit more cautious how I need to approach (rather than wasting more pulls). If I try again and got a pend message for personal (likely denial), does it make any more sense to continue with the second AA personal app (likely denial again based on previous experience) or switch gears and apply for another Citi branded card?
Good point.

I would switch if you only get to Step 3, or Step 5 without reference number, I would abort the 2nd AA card application and go with another Citi card on the same day - assuming you have already picked out another Citi card for Plan B.

Your personal card inquiries would still be combined to 1 but you would not waste a slot for Citi's 2 (ANY) cards every 60 days policy.

PS:

Your experience is discouraging.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 18, 2011 at 2:16 pm
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:42 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I applied for both the Citi and Amex personal 75k cards. I did not get instantly approved for either. The second post on this thread says "6. If you have applied and did not get instant approval, "call us between the hours of 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST, Monday - Friday, 1-866-606-2961"". If I call, can I inquire about both applications at the same time, or is that a no-no? Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by gce
thanks! that really helps. so say after 17 months, i buy a $100 plane ticket, i'll still have 650,000 that are good for another 18 months?
Even if you just spend a couple of $ at Starbucks using your AA card it will do it; the card does not have to be used for AA tickets to rejuvenate/recharge your AA account.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Approved for the AMEX
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohio2292
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I applied for both the Citi and Amex personal 75k cards. I did not get instantly approved for either. The second post on this thread says "6. If you have applied and did not get instant approval, "call us between the hours of 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST, Monday - Friday, 1-866-606-2961"". If I call, can I inquire about both applications at the same time, or is that a no-no? Thanks.
Think for a second the reason WHY you would apply 2 personal cards at the same time when there is clearly a restriction the offer is for First Time Cardholder Only?

You are trying to beat the system that is not update real time so you will be First time cardholder on each application...

Do you think if you bring up both applications with the phone rep makes sense on what you initially try to achieve?

Certainly may be nothing could happen to jeopardize your double-applications by bringing both up on one single phone call, but why chance it?

I post the above is to try to make you and other newbies who actually READ, to try to use their brains to actually THINK instead of hoping for a spoon-fed answer.

If you want to be in this game long term and continue to benefit from it, you need to read AND think, therefore you would LEARN eventually.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by gce
little bit new to the credit card game and had a couple questions. i just applied/got approved for the visa card and spending the 1.5k will be no problem. once i get the points...

-these points are only valid with american airlines, correct? they can never be transferred?
-will the ever expire?
-should i cancel the card right before the 1 year annual fee kicks in? will this hurt my credit score? will my miles still exist in my aadvantage account?
Unless something has changed, I have transferred many AA miles to my Hilton Honors account. I always need hotel points , more than FF miles.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:17 pm

Hi,
Just wanted to clarify two things. On the details of post #2 it says to apply for both a Visa personal and an AMEX personal one right after the other. What is the purpose of that? Is it because it will do two credit pulls but combine them into one and you may get approved for one if you get declined for the other?

Last week, I applied for the $1500 Visa Personal and was declined. They say because I'm not a first-time customer (I had cancelled a previous card about 12-13 months ago). Called to try and get the decision over-ridden stating that I have my mortgage with them, a Citigold checking account, and 2 other credit cards with them that I always pay in full. But still NO. Any advice or getting the decision overridden?

IF I apply for the $1500 Visa BUSINESS, will I get declined as well with the reason that I'm not a first-time customer? I have NEVER had a business card, just the personal one I got declined for as stated above. Or are the personal and visa card independent?

Also, if I apply for the business card, #2 post says that you don't have to have a business. What should I put for business income then?

Also, my wife had a citi aadvantage GOLD account that we cancelled 10 months ago. Would it be advisable to apply for the Visa PLATINUM personal and AMEX personal, or would the citi aadvantage gold account she previously had be counted as "not a first-time" customer.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by scuzzynutty
Hi,
Just wanted to clarify two things. On the details of post #2...
Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Here's some advise:

1. Try reading EVERYTHING on post 1 and 2. Then think about it. That'll answer almost all your questions.

2. If you feel this isn't constructive, please see Happy's response an hour before your post, and that should give you a roadmap as well.

Seriously, is it that hard folks to READ just the first two posts, and maybe the last 2 pages of remarks? What's that take, 5 minutes? Isn't that about how long it takes to post anyway?

Some of us who are "veterans" on some of these threads are happy to help out a rare, or unique question, but honestly, I've about reached my limit trying to give back, when it seems nobody new posting here will invest 5 minutes of their time to earn a huge opportunity, and wants to be spoon-fed everything.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
Here's some advise:

1. Try reading EVERYTHING on post 1 and 2. Then think about it. That'll answer almost all your questions.

2. If you feel this isn't constructive, please see Happy's response an hour before your post, and that should give you a roadmap as well.

Seriously, is it that hard folks to READ just the first two posts, and maybe the last 2 pages of remarks? What's that take, 5 minutes? Isn't that about how long it takes to post anyway?

Some of us who are "veterans" on some of these threads are happy to help out a rare, or unique question, but honestly, I've about reached my limit trying to give back, when it seems nobody new posting here will invest 5 minutes of their time to earn a huge opportunity, and wants to be spoon-fed everything.
teammjs,
I DID read everything in the 1st two posts as well as Happy's post an hour ago as well as the last 6 pages today and several previous pages last week.

Hence I asked for "clarification" because some things were still unclear to me and i want to be sure before taking the next step. Sorry if my reading comprehension isn't to your superb 'veteran' status. By your post, it seems like you're just waiting to pick at people. And it would appear that you did not read MY entire post as several issues I asked about are not addressed in post #2 (e.g., my wife's GOLD account vs. a platinum account, advice on getting a decision overriden, etc.) Maybe you should heed to your own advice...
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:09 pm

Dunno if anyone still cares.

Applied/approved for the Visa and AMEX. Just received the AMEX today, activated it and the CSR confirmed 75K bonus miles after 4k spend in 6 months.

Waiting on the Visa now
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:11 pm

Approved for the Visa Business
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
OK, let's spoon feed. You ask "On the details of post #2 it says to apply for both a Visa personal and an AMEX personal one right after the other. What is the purpose of that?"

From post #2: "If you don't apply for 2 personal cards at the same time (i.e. the next week, the next month, or 6 months later), the system will no longer recognize you as a first time cardholder." Also, "Applying for 2 personal cards will result in 2 credit pulls, but will be combined by the credit bureau into 1 pull."

You ask "Any advice or getting the decision overridden?"

From post #2: "If denied for reasons other than "only for first time cardholders", you can contact Citi through mail or phone and ask them to reconsider or negotiate your approval. If lower level CSRs can't help you, contact the following:

CitiBank Executive Review Department
P.O. Box 6000
Sioux Falls, SD 57117"

Implied in this advice is that you will not be successful in requesting reconsideration if you were denied for not being a first-time cardholder.

You ask "IF I apply for the $1500 Visa BUSINESS, will I get declined as well with the reason that I'm not a first-time customer? I have NEVER had a business card, just the personal one I got declined for as stated above. Or are the personal and visa card independent?"

From post #2: "You can get approved for 1 personal card and 1 business card applying in any timeframe."

You ask: "Also, if I apply for the business card, #2 post says that you don't have to have a business. What should I put for business income then?"

From post #2: "You DO NOT need a business to apply for the business card. It is best practice to use your name as it appears on bills, bank accounts etc so if Citi asks for supporting documents, the documents in your name match the card in your name." Admittedly, this doesn't completely answer your question; this is where some thought must come into play. If you don't need a business, you don't need business income. Many have reported success putting down $0 as the business income. There are such things as startup companies, and startups need tools, such as office space, copiers, and, yes, credit cards, all of which may be acquired before a cent of business income is earned.

You ask: "Also, my wife had a citi aadvantage GOLD account that we cancelled 10 months ago. Would it be advisable to apply for the Visa PLATINUM personal and AMEX personal, or would the citi aadvantage gold account she previously had be counted as "not a first-time" customer."

From post #2: "If you have had an AA card long term (18-24 months to be safe) without churning, reports are you'll get approved." Again, a bit of thought. You say your wife had a citi advantage gold cancelled ten months ago but don't mention when she qualified for it. In addition, you and your wife for the purposes of these applications are considered separate so her cards will not affect your ability to qualify now nor will your cards affect hers.

Can you seriously tell us that you read post #2 thoroughly and did not match up these comments with your questions? People on this forum want to help, but there are an awful lot of posters who seem to be unwilling to take the time to review the readily available information to get their answers.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:34 pm

I got approved for the 75k visa and amex. But I have been declined for every other card on the forum!

Southwest 50k - declined!
Hilton HHonors 62,500 - declined!
United 50k targeted offer - declined!
Delta gold amex 20k - declined!

Rather ticked off here.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL
Add data point to add...

My citicard Visa will hit the $85 fee in September so I called to cancel.

They offered me a $85 credit now for general purchase which will in essence offset my fee when September hits. They said they couldn't directly offer to take off the fee but it must be a credit then I got to pay the fee when it is due....

In addition was offered 750 bonus miles for every month for the next 16months each cycle I spend over $750.

She asked what I looked for in a card and I said mileage earning opportunities...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.