Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
Is there a reason people do the personal cards first and then business card? why not do vice versa?
The goal is to choose the most optimal way... Why re-invent the wheel if you dont have to?

You can do vice versa but that means you would get only 75K on the 1st card (biz) and then 2 x 75K on the 2nd /3rd card versus 2 x 75K on the 1st/2nd card, then 75K on the 3rd card (biz).

Since biz card is not as easy as personal card(s) to get, why do it vice versa unless you have to?

Fwiw, I did vice versa because I had to wait out the "first timer" only denial to let my last set of cards older than 15 months before finally was able to get new set of personal cards.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by Happy
The goal is to choose the most optimal way... Why re-invent the wheel if you dont have to?

You can do vice versa but that means you would get only 75K on the 1st card (biz) and then 2 x 75K on the 2nd /3rd card versus 2 x 75K on the 1st/2nd card, then 75K on the 3rd card (biz).

Since biz card is not as easy as personal card(s) to get, why do it vice versa unless you have to?

Fwiw, I did vice versa because I had to wait out the "first timer" only denial to let my last set of cards older than 15 months before finally was able to get new set of personal cards.
Thanks Happy. Basically in the same situation. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot by applying for the business card first.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:31 am

My last 18+ months application (applied at 19th month) was unsuccessful.
(not first time card member). I'm a bit more cautious how I need to approach (rather than wasting more pulls). If I try again and got a pend message for personal (likely denial), does it make any more sense to continue with the second AA personal app (likely denial again based on previous experience) or switch gears and apply for another Citi branded card?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:44 am

Applied for the $1.5K 75K Visa Business card this morning after my original card was cancelled on Friday after being opened about ~10 months ago.

I got the following message: "Your application is pending further review and we need additional information from you. Please call 1-866-606-2961
now to receive an immediate decision."

I spoke to someone and verified that the bonus was indeed $1.5K and 75K miles, but she needed to work more on expediting my approval and will call me back later she said... *crosses fingers*. Wish me luck!

And edit: Got approved for my low low limit of $1K like I did before lol but woo

Last edited by Smidget; Jul 18, 2011 at 8:06 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Strategic cancellation

I applied for and received both the Citi AA personal Visa and the Citi AA Business Visa last July. I felt fortunate to obtain the Citi AA Business card because I essentially applied as a "consultant" and provided my only my SSN. I'm an attorney, but have an employer. I do some work on the side, but if push came to shove, would not want to release tax records to prove independent business status. I understand that Citi's granting of the Business Card seemed to get more conservative as the cards gained in popularity.

Now I'm looking to cancel one or both of the cards to avoid the annual fee and to start the clock ticking from when I can safely apply again for bonuses in the future. Should I keep the Business Card - just because? I'm not opposed to keeping one, but it doesn't make any sense to keep one if this will prevent me from being deemed a "new" customer after the requisite time out on the bonuses.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:38 am

I applied for the 1.5k Visa and the 4k Amex last night. Neither were approved immediately, unfortunately. The Visa told me that I'd need to call and discuss my application, but I made the mistake of applying on a Sunday night, so the call center was closed. Then immediately afterward the Amex said they'd need to review it further and they'd let me know via email within a week.

So I called to discuss the Visa application this morning, and apparently their only issue was that I've had a couple of other Citi cards for several years with a total limit of about $20k, but I don't use them much anymore (balances are $0). So they just wanted to cannibalize $7k credit from one of my cards to transfer over to the AA Visa. Approved.

What do you guys think are my chances with the Amex? Is it still possible to get snagged by the "not a first time card holder" requirement, or am I past that part already?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Sosiouxme
I applied for and received both the Citi AA personal Visa and the Citi AA Business Visa last July. Now I'm looking to cancel one or both of the cards to avoid the annual fee and to start the clock ticking from when I can safely apply again for bonuses in the future. Should I keep the Business Card - just because? I'm not opposed to keeping one, but it doesn't make any sense to keep one if this will prevent me from being deemed a "new" customer after the requisite time out on the bonuses.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
I would cancel the Citi AA Business VISA ASAP and apply for a new one if you're looking for new miles. It is said on post #2 that you cannot open a new business card with a previous one open (with the same SSN/EIN I'm assuming). I literally cancelled on Friday (from originally opening the card I'd say October or November 2010), applied this morning, and was approved again.

As far as the Citi AA Personal VISA is concerned, I've read, but not personally experienced it myself yet, that no matter if the card is closed or not, it has to be 18+ months before you can reapply for the Citi AA Personal VISA or AMEX. I would call to cancel and see if they will waive the fee (see Citi retention bonus reports (All cards) for more details of how that will work).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:51 am
gce

little bit new to the credit card game and had a couple questions. i just applied/got approved for the visa card and spending the 1.5k will be no problem. once i get the points...

-these points are only valid with american airlines, correct? they can never be transferred?
-will the ever expire?
-should i cancel the card right before the 1 year annual fee kicks in? will this hurt my credit score? will my miles still exist in my aadvantage account?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by gce
little bit new to the credit card game and had a couple questions. i just applied/got approved for the visa card and spending the 1.5k will be no problem. once i get the points...

-these points are only valid with american airlines, correct? Yes
they can never be transferred? Correct
-will the ever expire? Yes - after 18 month unless you have ANY transaction
-should i cancel the card right before the 1 year annual fee kicks in? Your choice
will this hurt my credit score? No
will my miles still exist in my aadvantage account? Yes
I hope I answered them all
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:38 am
gce

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I hope I answered them all
thanks! that really helps. so say after 17 months, i buy a $100 plane ticket, i'll still have 650,000 that are good for another 18 months?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by gce

-these points are only valid with american airlines, correct? they can never be transferred?
-will the ever expire?
-should i cancel the card right before the 1 year annual fee kicks in? will this hurt my credit score? will my miles still exist in my aadvantage account?
There's an American Airlines Forum here on Flyer Talk, and at the top of that Forum are several threads with stickies that provide good general background on the program and how it works.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jul 18, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gce
thanks! that really helps. so say after 17 months, i buy a $100 plane ticket, i'll still have 650,000 that are good for another 18 months?
Only if you use an AA credit card that puts miles generated by that $100 purchase into your AA frequent flyer account.

And you find a way to generate 650,000 miles in 17 months
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
YAY! Just got approval for my SECOND business card ~75K/$1500. Last did personal apps in early May, and my first Biz card was applied for in March and closed last month.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:49 am
gce

Originally Posted by Stoughton
And you find a way to generate 650,000 miles in 17 months
lol, typo.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
YAY! Just got approval for my SECOND business card ~75K/$1500. Last did personal apps in early May, and my first Biz card was applied for in March and closed last month.
I told my wife I think I'm adopting an "every 4 months try to churn the Biz card" plan lol Too bad I've missed... 2 or so extra opportunities to do this, but I'm still learning

Hopefully this will stay alive indefinitely... we can all hope right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.