Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
I had similar scenario as you describe;
i.e. had two cards early 2010, cancelled 6-8 months later.

Applied again early 2011, declined,
Applied again last month, approved.
I don't know what changed except more time had passed....
Thanks. This gives me hope... (If the Citi application is still working in 2 months)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Even putting in "read post #2 first" in the other thread's title apparently hasn't worked.

From that post, point 7:

If denied for reasons other than "only for first time cardholders", you can contact Citi through mail or phone and ask them to reconsider or negotiate your approval. If lower level CSRs can't help you, contact the following:

CitiBank Executive Review Department
P.O. Box 6000
Sioux Falls, SD 57117

And then point 13:

"If you have had an AA card long term (18-24 months to be safe) without churning, reports are you'll get approved."

I know there's no clear answer there, but there's a clear implication, inference, conclusion to be drawn that your chances of reconsideration are, as the old joke goes, "slim and none, and slim just left the building."

Your multiple attempts to apply have simply restarted the clock on when you might be able to qualify again for these offers.

By the way, I'm sure the mods will soon be moving this thread over to the other thread. Just a head's up.

I perceived that statement from the OP when I read it. However, I was wondering if anyone was in a similar scenario as I am, and managed to get them to approve it anyway.

Also, for this specific denial, are they tracking previous applications by SS number, or by AA number? When I spoke to customer service, they said that "AA will only allow CITI to give this offer once per customer", which makes me think that perhaps this is based on my AA number rather than SS. (I.e. if I were to make another AA account...)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Just FYI in the future.

Citi AMEX has nothing to do with AMEX AMEX. I saw Stoughton answered you in short form which you might or might not understand so I would give you a bit more info below and for the other readers of the thread.

The only AMEX part of Citi AMEX is it uses AMEX processing network, as a result of court ruling several years ago that AMEX must open its brand for others. As a result, Citi and BofA got into the AMEX brand (there should be one or two more but I forgot who they are). Chase on the other hand chose NOT to use the AMEX brand.

No need to call, just wait for the cards, activate them and put on your spend.
I understood stoughton and saw my obvious error, and realized it was only the processing network. I haven't churned, app-o-ramaed, or anything else for some time now after a lot of the good, more cash-oriented deals disappeared. Just now started working on miles/hotel stuff. So, I get the point. But, thanks for the additional information, didn't know about the court ruling stuff.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zalee
I perceived that statement from the OP when I read it. However, I was wondering if anyone was in a similar scenario as I am, and managed to get them to approve it anyway.

Also, for this specific denial, are they tracking previous applications by SS number, or by AA number? When I spoke to customer service, they said that "AA will only allow CITI to give this offer once per customer", which makes me think that perhaps this is based on my AA number rather than SS. (I.e. if I were to make another AA account...)
No to both your wishful thinking. Hundreds of others before you have already tried what you are wondering.

The AA thread is a rare exception on FT that it has a wealth of collective data points (empirical data) and a poster diligently update Post No.2 based on any meaningful date comes to light.
It is exceptional because it really helps many people who really believe / trust the collective wisdom and proceed accordingly.

It is a very valuable resource but it is up to an individual to decide whether he/she would use such resource or try to re-invent the wheel.

The outcome tells which method one should pick if one wants to have the highest probability of success.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinion
But, thanks for the additional information, didn't know about the court ruling stuff.
A bit of history. No wonder I forgot who was the other bank at the time this court ruling was handed down - it was MBNA which was subsequently acquired by BofA.

The AMEX brand has value and to this day many consumers still think AMEX is just AMEX. The other banks of course would like to keep it that way at the dismay of AMEX AMEX.

Until 2004, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibited issuers of their cards from issuing American Express cards in the United States. This meant, as a practical matter, that U.S. banks could not issue American Express cards. These rules were struck down as a result of antitrust litigation brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, and are no longer in effect. In January 2004, American Express reached a deal to have its cards issued by a U.S. bank, MBNA America. Initially decried by MasterCard executives as nothing but an "experiment", these cards were released in October 2004. Some said that the relationship was going to be threatened by MBNA's merger with Bank of America, a major Visa issuer and original developer of Visa. However, an agreement was reached between American Express and Bank of America on December 21, 2005. Under the terms of the agreement, Bank of America will own the customer loans and American Express will process the transactions. Also, American Express will dismiss Bank of America from its antitrust litigation against Visa, MasterCard, and a number of U.S. banks. Finally, both Bank of America and American Express also said an existing card-issuing partnership between MBNA and American Express will continue after the Bank of America-MBNA merger. The first card from the partnership, the no-annual-fee Bank of America Rewards American Express card, was released on June 30, 2006.

Since then, Citibank, GE Money, and USAA have also started issuing American Express cards. Citibank currently issues several American Express cards including an American Airlines AAdvantage co-branded card. In early 2006[29] Amex issued Dillard's American Express card in joint cooperation with GE Money, however, in Mar 2008[30] GE sold its card unit to Amex for $1.1bn in cash only deal. HSBC Bank USA is currently testing both HSBC-branded and Neiman Marcus co-branded American Express rewards credit cards, with a full rollout scheduled for late 2007 or early 2008. Also, UBS launched its Resource Card program for US Wealth Management clients issuing Visa Signature credit cards and American Express charge cards linked to their customers accounts and employing a single rewards program for the two cards. Fidelity operates a similar program, issuing both American Express and Visa Signature cards through FIA Card Services.[31]
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
No to both your wishful thinking. Hundreds of others before you have already tried what you are wondering.

The AA thread is a rare exception on FT that it has a wealth of collective data points (empirical data) and a poster diligently update Post No.2 based on any meaningful date comes to light.
It is exceptional because it really helps many people who really believe / trust the collective wisdom and proceed accordingly.

It is a very valuable resource but it is up to an individual to decide whether he/she would use such resource or try to re-invent the wheel.

The outcome tells which method one should pick if one wants to have the highest probability of success.
+1. If people want to ignore the advice and suggestions provided in the other thread, that's fine. There is no absolute way to guarantee the outcomes suggested in post #2 of the other thread--in other words, you may follow all of the suggestions there and get declined, or you may ignore all of that advice and get approved.

But, if you're someone who's trying to stack the odds in your favor and are seeking realistic, reasonable advice, the other thread has all you need.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
+1. If people want to ignore the advice and suggestions provided in the other thread, that's fine. There is no absolute way to guarantee the outcomes suggested in post #2 of the other thread--in other words, you may follow all of the suggestions there and get declined, or you may ignore all of that advice and get approved.

But, if you're someone who's trying to stack the odds in your favor and are seeking realistic, reasonable advice, the other thread has all you need.
A very important thing anyone in this pursuit of sign up bonus needs to understand is, there is NO GUARANTEE. All we try here is exactly as you said, to stack the odds in our favor by going the ways that have shown to produce the highest success rates.

I cannot stress enough that a lot of this is really common sense that we normally would and should apply to our daily decision making process in handling our daily life... but I digress.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:50 pm

Got the Citi Visa AAdvantage card sometime around February and had the 75k miles posted May. I've already used up the miles and would like to close the citi card but am concern about closing the card too early which may cause Citi to yank the miles back.

There are 400 pages here and it is just way too many to read through, to find the answer I'm looking for.

Anybody knows? Anybody had issues with closing Citi card within 6 months of opening?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by blueflyertalk
Got the Citi Visa AAdvantage card sometime around February and had the 75k miles posted May. I've already used up the miles and would like to close the citi card but am concern about closing the card too early which may cause Citi to yank the miles back.

There are 400 pages here and it is just way too many to read through, to find the answer I'm looking for.

Anybody knows? Anybody had issues with closing Citi card within 6 months of opening?
I would keep the account open for at least 6 months, so that I continue to remain in Citi's good books (for future offers/applications)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by blueflyertalk

There's certainly nothing in the T&Cs that suggests that Citi would do this nor have there been any reports of Citi taking this action as far as I know.

The annual fee's not due for another six months, however. I don't see the advantage in closing the account now (especially since most reports about applying for the same card later seem to indicate the opening, and not the closing date on the card is relevant to your chances of success), and from a credit perspective, I see several disadvantages in closing now. Plus, there's an entire thread on the potential bonuses (albeit much smaller than the original sign-up bonus) that Citi may offer if you contact them before closing the card: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...all-cards.html.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:10 pm

QUESTION: How does an application for which you are denied for a promotion show up in your credit report? Because technically they are not denying the card.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by eloraculo
QUESTION: How does an application for which you are denied for a promotion show up in your credit report? Because technically they are not denying the card.
I don't know, but I would guess that it doesn't show up at all, if for no other reason than it would be in Citi's best interest for this to be the case: If they're going to deny the application based on "churn," then they can easily determine this BEFORE doing the credit report pull, thus saving them the cost. A side benefit of this would be that the customer doesn't have an extra pull on their credit report.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by eloraculo
Seriously? How in the world can you say you technically weren't denied the card?! Of course you were!

You chose to apply for a *card* that happens to have a *promotion* despite a clear warning in the T&Cs that you weren't qualified to do so. In order for Citi to determine this, they hard pull your credit. Now, they *could* theoretically run this internally before pulling your credit, but considering your case represents <.1% of all their applications (and you're trying to game them), why should they take the time and money to build a separate IT system to do this?

Look, I've churned these, been burned occasionally by the "not first time" rule, and hate Citi, but come on folks-- take some personal responsibility when you choose to dance with the devil on these things

P.S. Steve M, never assume Citi gives a **** about its customers.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:08 pm

I was denied the 75K AA Visa because I previously had the AAdvantage card and that was several years ago, maybe 2007 or even earlier. I did have it for a very long time when I did, though. I was accepted for the AMEX version.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't know, but I would guess that it doesn't show up at all, if for no other reason than it would be in Citi's best interest for this to be the case: If they're going to deny the application based on "churn," then they can easily determine this BEFORE doing the credit report pull, thus saving them the cost. A side benefit of this would be that the customer doesn't have an extra pull on their credit report.
Dont count on it.

The inquiry shows up on my report on each and every denial that is based on "first time cardholder only".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.