Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Fidelity bonus offers for all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:03 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Since you think the issues are the same for new and existing Fidelity customers, I don't know why you find it so irritating to read two threads (or what you'd gain by combining them) since dumping all the posts into one thread means you'll have to read them all anyway.

For those of us who see the vast difference between being new to Fidelity and not as to this offer, having two threads saves a lot of time reading all the posts with newbie issues.

As you said-Simple logic.
As the person who started this thread - and someone who has been with Fidelity for 20+ years - all I have to say is "ditto". I don't want to have to wade through dozens of messages that only deal with offers for new customers.

Also - as a point of information. I don't know who any of you are - and what your financial/legal situations are. But think twice before setting up brokerage accounts just to get mile/points. If you're a person who's the primary wage-earner in your family and/or most of your money is in your name or under joint ownership - and you put $100k in a spouse's account out of money you've earned - well that ownership means a lot if you were to get divorced - or you or your spouse were sued as a result of an accident - etc. - etc. Also - if you're dealing with anyone other than a spouse - there may be tax consequences (like gift taxes owed). Doing this kind of stuff is very different than setting up credit card accounts under different names/SS numbers. Robyn
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:08 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
The same exact issue(s) are being discussed in each. Furthermore, there are enough questions regarding what constitutes a new member vs. an existing member and if the system will recognize a person as new vs. existing, that simple logic dictates having one Fidelity/Miles thread.
So start a third thread. Whether - if you've had a Fidelity account in the past - but don't now - when you will be considered a new customer. Robyn
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amitgu
Based on this...

AA + DL OKAY
MR + DL OKAY

so looks like you cannot get both AA and MR.
Originally Posted by HikerT
The only thing is... MR might work later, so you must weigh inability to get AA later vs. possibility to get MR later.
Excellent analysis on the options and their related possible outcomes a new customer should look at. If I am a new customer I would put the ability to get AA miles being the most important.

OK, crap, just realized I'm posting in the existing customer thread so need to re-post in the relevant thread. Mods, can we please merge just these threads?
I agree the 2 threads should merge because 70 to 80% information overlapped.

Those who are new customers can skip the posts not related to them, while the existing customers can do the same - but one single thread for all the information is more convenient to most folks, me included.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:04 pm

I would suggest the first post of the other thread be updated to include all current offers (AA, UA, DL, MR) and highlight the 2 offers (DL, MR) available to existing customers. There is also a link in the first post of that thread to one I've updated with links to all the offers and tried my best to summarize the current situation for new and existing customers. In the 15 pages of this thread I'm not sure what someone might glean that isn't summarized in those 2 posts or what value 2 different threads provides going forward since most of the discussion now relates to MR.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
its weird i had gotten the DL promo rejection email few weeks ago. but just last night, i got fidelity email that miles will post to my DL account in a few days/week.

(scratching head)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would suggest the first post of the other thread be updated to include all current offers (AA, UA, DL, MR) and highlight the 2 offers (DL, MR) available to existing customers. There is also a link in the first post of that thread to one I've updated with links to all the offers and tried my best to summarize the current situation for new and existing customers. In the 15 pages of this thread I'm not sure what someone might glean that isn't summarized in those 2 posts or what value 2 different threads provides going forward since most of the discussion now relates to MR.
FWIW, I've updated the first post over there with the Amex MR info.

Since we have no definitive strategy for getting MR points at this time, I can't provide easy steps.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:17 pm

My wife's second 25K MR points also posted yesterday for a total of 50k.

To recap - she did the Delta 50k promotion back in late April on a newly opened brokerage account. For some reason only $25k+$25k of funding generated the full 50k skymiles. Then registered for the MR promotion this month on the same account, and again $25k+$25k generated 50K MR points (though if the MR promotion considered the prior funding activity when she did the Delta, it does add up to $100k of deposits in the last 90 days).

I am now trying the MR promotion for my account where I've also done the Delta promotion but > 3 months ago.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
My wife's second 25K MR points also posted yesterday for a total of 50k.

To recap - she did the Delta 50k promotion back in late April on a newly opened brokerage account. For some reason only $25k+$25k of funding generated the full 50k skymiles. Then registered for the MR promotion this month on the same account, and again $25k+$25k generated 50K MR points (though if the MR promotion considered the prior funding activity when she did the Delta, it does add up to $100k of deposits in the last 90 days).

I am now trying the MR promotion for my account where I've also done the Delta promotion but > 3 months ago.
But the MR was signed up after the DL fundings had already occurred.

So weird and you are the most lucky one so far.

Did you ever cycle the money out?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just an FYI, I updated the original post with some consolidated info. I didn't get detailed on the in-and-out issues or most other points, but the current links and hints on strategy are there.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:48 pm

Out of curiosity (since I'm still very new at this whole miles game), how come there is more buzz about AA than UA? My initial assumption was that people would want UA miles more than AA miles since Star has more redemption partners. Would appreciate it if someone could point out the flaw in my train of thought? Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
AA currently counts all miles towards lifetime, and the expectation is that the program is going to change to only count bis/actual flown miles sometime soon so there could be a rush to hit the 1 or 2 mm mark for the related benefits. Also for me, I have earned a good amount of AA without flying them, so can redeem for a premium award while my status and most paid flying is with *A
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironchef16
Out of curiosity (since I'm still very new at this whole miles game), how come there is more buzz about AA than UA? My initial assumption was that people would want UA miles more than AA miles since Star has more redemption partners. Would appreciate it if someone could point out the flaw in my train of thought? Thanks!
UA has starnet blocking on partner award redemption.

A very important concept - having miles do not equal to having award seats.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironchef16
I also think that when Fidelity originally changed the max points to 50K, it was only for AA and Delta and not for United. So United isn't in the thread title, and the thread may not draw that crowd as much . . .
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
But the MR was signed up after the DL fundings had already occurred.

So weird and you are the most lucky one so far.

Did you ever cycle the money out?
Yes, most of it anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Happy
UA has starnet blocking on partner award redemption.

A very important concept - having miles do not equal to having award seats.
I signed up for the UA promo and transfered all my miles to my CO account. That's good enough. My own opinion is that UA/CO miles are worth way more than AA miles, because of the generous stopover & open jaw rules and the number of partners.

I think most of the newbies who sign up for these promos just happen to read all the buzz about AA on this forum and might not even be aware that there's a UA promo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.