AA 35% bonus for points conversion from hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 35% bonus for points conversion from hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by josephstern
What I really can't believe is that I didn't do the Wyndham Discover America deal - that was a great way to get some cheap miles!
Indeed. Sometimes it would pay off to know what the future brings. Then again, I guess airline miles would not really be of much interest anymore !
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by MilesMark
Would appreciate thoughts on this.....

To buy 20,000 SPG points costs $700.

So, 20,000 SPG points converts to 25,000 AA miles.
Adding the 35% premium adds 8,750
Putting the charge on SPG Amex adds 875 miles (converted later),
For a total of 34,625 AA miles,

At a price of $700, or 2.02 cents per mile.

Did I get that right? Anyone think that's worth doing?
Not quite, for 1 transfer of 20,000 SPG points you only get 25% bonus, to get 35% you have to transfer more than 20,000, in the same transaction. That changes the cpm.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Indeed. Sometimes it would pay off to know what the future brings. Then again, I guess airline miles would not really be of much interest anymore !
The Wyndham deal was actually a pretty excellent deal even without this bump.

I got the SPG deal in that set, and I was satisfied, so I didn't dig for more. My mistake.

But I never moved the SPG point over to AA, waiting for a deal like this. So I did something right.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Just remember you can only transfer 60k max per transfer to get all the bonus miles. If you want to move 140k be sure to break it up into smaller transfers every 24 hours (60k, 40k, 40k would work.)
Where did you see this?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Where did you see this?
It's really up to 79,999, but with the 25K for 20K, it's wise to limit yourself to 60K per transfer.

Full info on the limit is here:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...tner_list.html
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lovetotravel
Not quite, for 1 transfer of 20,000 SPG points you only get 25% bonus, to get 35% you have to transfer more than 20,000, in the same transaction. That changes the cpm.
SPG adds the 25% bonus before they transfer to AA, correct? Thus he'd be tranfering 25,000 to AA and would qualify for 35% (right?)
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
SPG adds the 25% bonus before they transfer to AA, correct? Thus he'd be tranfering 25,000 to AA and would qualify for 35% (right?)
20000 at 25%

5000 at 35%
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's all in one transfer, I think it would be 35% on all of it:

To earn the 35% conversion bonus, member must convert points from eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants that equate to 20,001 or more AAdvantage miles within the Promotion Period.
That doesn't seem to suggest that it works in the tiered way, for one transfer.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum - Lifetime
Originally Posted by buschoi
Thanks for pointing this out. That was my first reaction, too. I was wondering if I should pay next year's MVCI maintenance fee now and get the points for a travel package redemption. With this exclusion, I don't have to consider it anymore. I have literally decided to give up achieving LT status and just convert my points into Alaska in the future, which gives me better redemption rate on CX's J and F.
I didn't see anything that indicated you couldn't request a travel package and transfer the miles to AA and get the bonus. I don't think AA knows how the miles come over as package or straight point conversion. Did I miss something?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by floyddl
I didn't see anything that indicated you couldn't request a travel package and transfer the miles to AA and get the bonus. I don't think AA knows how the miles come over as package or straight point conversion. Did I miss something?
This is taken directly from the terms and conditions on the AA website:
Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer.

You reach this from http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...n.jsp?from=Nav
Then click on the terms and conditions link
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
makes no sense for Marriott transfer

if i transfer 30k Marriott points i only get 10k aa points... throw in a few more with the 35% but still a loss.

Last edited by shadabing; Jun 15, 2010 at 11:20 am
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - I just did my second SPG -> AA transfer, 24 hours and 7 minutes after my first.

Am I cutting it too close?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
OK - I just did my second SPG -> AA transfer, 24 hours and 7 minutes after my first.

Am I cutting it too close?
I think that once every "24 hours" means once per calendar day, not per 24 hour period.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovetotravel
I have more than 20k points but not close enough to 40k for a neat, even-number transfer.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
I have more than 20k points but not close enough to 40k for a neat, even-number transfer.

Any suggestions?
Short of buying points (or having them transferred to your account by a person authorized to do so; that is someone with the same address), I think acquiring SPG points in within the time frame needed for this promo is tough. Very little transfers into SPG in a way worth doing. If there's another way to get SPG into the account quickly, I'm anxiously watching this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.