Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
Has anyone flown a FD itin in winter when all hell potentially can break loose with the weather?
Yes, including several cancellations/changes on one itinerary.

When it comes to weather IRROPS, when they deal with many passengers requiring assistance, there is no time to analyse the whole booking - they will just do whatever best/easiest/fastest to get you there.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:13 am

C2w-C1e 246€ dessert

Last edited by Acmo; Dec 26, 2015 at 9:46 am
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, OZ Diamond
C1e-C5s 430EUR *A rt
with space for improvement (base fares of dump and actual flight)
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Any chance someone could point me to where I could learn how to understand the shorthand/codes on this thread? Is "start at page 1" my only bet?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by AmeriKop45
Any chance someone could point me to where I could learn how to understand the shorthand/codes on this thread? Is "start at page 1" my only bet?
Plenty of us have started at page 1. After you get the gist, then you can start skipping a hundred pages at a time.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Plenty of us have started at page 1. After you get the gist, then you can start skipping a hundred pages at a time.
I did exactly that actually and know the basics (the "Cs" 1-7, e,w,n,s, alliances and some airlines). What I am finding hard is to actually find/price these fares.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Brooks Beta Runner
I did exactly that actually and know the basics (the "Cs" 1-7, e,w,n,s, alliances and some airlines). What I am finding hard is to actually find/price these fares.
Some tips from someone who found this thread in like may and have "earned my wings" (I'm self declaring it that i've earned this, but if someone needs to like check my passport to make sure it's legit get in touch)

Once every few weeks, somebody posts something like "I've found a good candidate fair and I have some strikes but every time I add one the fair jumps up like $2000. [Please somebody spoonfeed this to me because i've read for like an hour and I have a strong sense of entitlement]"

I have 2 things here that I think are important. First, the answer to the question is the most important factor to X based tricks.

Second is that we all know that these people have not found a few strikes, and lying won't get you far here.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Mrpinkca
Some tips from someone who found this thread in like may and have "earned my wings" (I'm self declaring it that i've earned this, but if someone needs to like check my passport to make sure it's legit get in touch)

Once every few weeks, somebody posts something like "I've found a good candidate fair and I have some strikes but every time I add one the fair jumps up like $2000. [Please somebody spoonfeed this to me because i've read for like an hour and I have a strong sense of entitlement]"

I have 2 things here that I think are important. First, the answer to the question is the most important factor to X based tricks.

Second is that we all know that these people have not found a few strikes, and lying won't get you far here.

I hear you. Thanks for the reply. In no way am I trying to get spoonfed. That is the reason why I did not ask about something I wanted to fly. I am simply trying to understand some of the basics and was wondering what the best and most time productive way to go about that would be. I guess I know now. Does this thread come in an AudioBook?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:28 am

I hear you. Thanks for the reply. In no way am I trying to get spoonfed. That is the reason why I did not ask about something I wanted to fly. I am simply trying to understand some of the basics and was wondering what the best and most time productive way to go about that would be. I guess I know now. Does this thread come in an AudioBook?

No audio books, unfortunately

Your best bet is to read the thread and search it. Use Google. Find additional resources.

ITA is your starting point for fare and fare information.

Lastly, try and try again.

Good luck.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
C2c-C3s.e. 131 Euro

C2c-C3s.e. 125 Euro all in with appet. on *a
very rare availability. The fare is open for traveling from APR-JUN16

Last edited by bertheike; Dec 24, 2015 at 4:43 am Reason: price gone down
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Air Canada from NYC/LAX/SFO/BOS/IAH/DFW/IAD to Dubai € 263,31 All-in R/T with 3X

Air Canada from NYC/LAX/SFO/BOS/IAH/DFW/IAD to Dubai € 263,31 All-in R/T with 3X

People from Toronto can take one-way positioning bus to Boston. On return just go home after clearing and exiting Canadian customs at Pearson Airport.

Q2/16 Availabilities.

Also bookable on US$ based site JUSTFLY.com.

For $ 40.00 more the 3X can be an Inter-Continental Flight from USA to the City with the most beautiful women in the world.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Dec 24, 2015 at 8:25 am
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: BA, Gold Hilton, Gold SPG
Very nice Christmas gift. I wish it was in Q1 but Q1 BF is very high.
Played with it and I'm able to get down to only $450 US so far.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks WWE, one of the least cryptic posts I've seen in a while!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Thank You WWE. That was a nice Christmas present.
I actually bought one of these, it works from SEA as well. I didn't quite get the same low fare, but close enough for me.

^^^ Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
For $ 40.00 more the 3X can be an Inter-Continental Flight from USA to the City with the most beautiful women in the world.
That would have to be in Colombia but don't think that's the 3x. Guess our tastes are different...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.