Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:26 am

C2-C1e ST € 159,35 All-in R/T
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA CO DL
Originally Posted by Flying4less
Quite right too

WWE did share valuable information openly for ALL of us to see and use.. Showing "relationships" between certain airlines and the routing involved!! I had success with the first relationship i tried to recreate

Whether they are currently active or not on a screenshot of one particular routing to me is irrelevent as there are many variations and OTAs where the relationship as i found does indeed work!!
Darn, and as fate would have it.... I was in the shower during that 20 minutes or so that the screen shot was posted. Pure frustration now....
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club Executive, Toys R Us Kid Lifetime Status
Hi there and welcome, great news on your first FD..

I posted a *A and ST C1w-C3 just a few days ago.. feel free to send me a pm of the route you booked if you like as there are some variations on my post that are also effective from other C1w cities to other C3 destinations

Thank you! Will do.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by airboss
Darn, and as fate would have it.... I was in the shower during that 20 minutes or so that the screen shot was posted. Pure frustration now....
guess it just wasn't meant to be hey lol Your post did make me smile though..

I'd highly recommend a waterproof phone/tablet cover just so you don't miss out again :P

On a serious note though.. I'd say good work to anyone who shares useable and useful information on here.. No matter who it is! As i was able to use the information given a few pages back by WWE to last night create a working 2x from the airlines mentioned
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA

I'd highly recommend a waterproof phone/tablet cover just so you don't miss out again :P

On a serious note though.. I'd say good work to anyone who shares useable and useful information on here.. No matter who it is! As i was able to use the information given a few pages back by WWE to last night create a working 2x from the airlines mentioned
Hey it was a Once-Monthly event. Actually He did want to get to the computer right away but the two chicas in the shower grabbed on to him ( and it was not his arms) to hold him back. Now I only hope they are not frustrated too.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Menalcas
Hello Supermonzon, I am a beginner myself, but I think I see what happened here. The major issue is that it's not enough to simply find a good BF. You need to be sure that the fare you have found can be combined with the strike.

When you added the strike, the BF was not compatible with it, so the website you were using had to jump to an airline/fare that was compatible with your strike (at a significantly higher cost - incidentally, a frequent occurrence). So, your strike did not "dump" the fuel surcharge from the KLM flight. Rather, you found a different fare without a surcharge (this either bc it WAS dropped by your strike, or because it never had one to begin with). It is also possible that the strike would have worked with a different travel agent. Reading the fare rules is the only way to understand which flight combinations are allowed.

Best of luck!
Thank you, I will try to check different options. Rephrase the request to the search engine to see if I find a way to do the 3x properly.
I'm not on the proper 3x yet. I try to find areas with many airports clumped together. Expensive locations seem a poor option. Remote and isolated are also poor. Something in the middle should be ideal. Let's see. I am relying more on the map than airfare search engines when it comes to checking 3x options. Then I go to the airfares. Slow learning. I'm not in a hurry to fly myself...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:34 am

You are welcome....

I will give that a try, sounds doable.

^

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Hey it was a Once-Monthly event. Actually He did want to get to the computer right away but the two chicas in the shower grabbed on to him ( and it was not his arms) to hold him back. Now I only hope they are not frustrated too.
Actually I shower 2 times a month, otherwise they stand to far away for conversation.

Two chicas??? I only wish !!!!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I think WWE was referring to HIS sharing moment being a once a month event.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I think WWE was referring to HIS sharing moment being a once a month event.
naaah.... I have met the man, he has a rare sense of humor....
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by ImAWanderer
Hello All!

Although a long-time lurker/learner I am new to the forum. I want to thank everyone for all the information that has been shared in the thousands of pages here. A few months ago I dived face first into all this 'data' and since I've been obsessive about learning I've actually achieved my first FD (exciting!) Although my trip was already booked at regular fare, I wanted to see if I could get it down and I did. It actually might be a route that was posted earlier but it is C1w-C3 for $454. I've been playing with some other trips I have in mind for Sept and achieved minimal success, but I'm here to learn and always open to tips and more tricks. I look forward to interacting!
That is awesome. Congrats on your first FD. I am also looking for the same route C1w-C3 but can only do $540 with a 3x on Worlds largest OTA. Maybe I'm not searching enough obscure OTAs.
Out of curiosity, did you use a program to search, or just manually?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club Executive, Toys R Us Kid Lifetime Status
Originally Posted by cooldesi
That is awesome. Congrats on your first FD. I am also looking for the same route C1w-C3 but can only do $540 with a 3x on Worlds largest OTA. Maybe I'm not searching enough obscure OTAs.
Out of curiosity, did you use a program to search, or just manually?
Thanks!

Try a different OTA. Close, but no canoe. I actually searched on ITA and lucked out after some random 3x trials. Finding what to actually try was very manual.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Supermonzon
Thank you, I will try to check different options. Rephrase the request to the search engine to see if I find a way to do the 3x properly.
I'm not on the proper 3x yet. I try to find areas with many airports clumped together. Expensive locations seem a poor option. Remote and isolated are also poor. Something in the middle should be ideal. Let's see. I am relying more on the map than airfare search engines when it comes to checking 3x options. Then I go to the airfares. Slow learning. I'm not in a hurry to fly myself...
I'm glad you found it helpful. I have been working on 1x and 3x constructions for some time. I would emphasize again that a given strike may only work with certain combinations of airlines/routes, so it's not really a question of finding "the strike" that will reduce YQ on any base fare. And, the fare rules are vital for finding the right base fare. In my experience, if the fare rules say "No EOE permitted" with no exceptions, they will not combine with any strike I have tried (although certain small travel websites might allow these to sneak through the cracks).

When looking for strikes, I am definitely not an expert, but I am willing to share what I have learned - perhaps by PM? I am a *A flyer, so have concentrated on those airlines. I would suggest looking at short routes in Oceania, Europe, the Middle East (think islands, low cost carriers, different combinations of alliances). I have not been able to fully dump YQ with just a 3x, although often the return segment (i.e. 50%) is possible. My biggest success so far with 3x has been dumping UA surcharges on LH/UA combined fares leaving from C1 (where I reside).

1x's are easier to find using these same strategies, but often are not practical to fly.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Menalcas
I'm glad you found it helpful. I have been working on 1x and 3x constructions for some time. I would emphasize again that a given strike may only work with certain combinations of airlines/routes, so it's not really a question of finding "the strike" that will reduce YQ on any base fare. And, the fare rules are vital for finding the right base fare. In my experience, if the fare rules say "No EOE permitted" with no exceptions, they will not combine with any strike I have tried (although certain small travel websites might allow these to sneak through the cracks).

When looking for strikes, I am definitely not an expert, but I am willing to share what I have learned - perhaps by PM? I am a *A flyer, so have concentrated on those airlines. I would suggest looking at short routes in Oceania, Europe, the Middle East (think islands, low cost carriers, different combinations of alliances). I have not been able to fully dump YQ with just a 3x, although often the return segment (i.e. 50%) is possible. My biggest success so far with 3x has been dumping UA surcharges on LH/UA combined fares leaving from C1 (where I reside).

1x's are easier to find using these same strategies, but often are not practical to fly.
This is helpful. I'd love to pick your brain concerning the dumping of surcharges leaving from C1. I've noticed a similar pattern in my few successes.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
C1-C5 Star Alliance €313

Still some taxes left, so better maybe possible.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by flylonghaul
C1-C5 Star Alliance €313

Still some taxes left, so better maybe possible.
$399

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.