Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE]Travelocity.ca quotes LX YYZ-DEL base fare at ZERO.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE]Travelocity.ca quotes LX YYZ-DEL base fare at ZERO.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
well - there is a HUUUUUGE difference in a 0$ base fare between a short inner european economy flight and a business class fare including two intercontinental sectors one way.

btw, there are NO 0$ revenue fares - they have to be at least 0,01$. ryanair never gave away tickets for free (= 0$) but the ticket cost 0,01€.

BTW, i am still entertained by this thread
I've booked a $0 fare from STN to HAU on RyanAir before.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:28 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Just curious ...wouldn't a mistake be something that's covered by a travel agency's and/or airline's errors and omissions insurance?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Just curious ...wouldn't a mistake be something that's covered by a travel agency's and/or airline's errors and omissions insurance?
Interesting point. Although the deductible is probably pretty high, but probably not as high as 78 times $5,000.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 30, 2008 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
There was no fare, hence there should be no ticket. You have only been charged taxes. If there has been a fare, say even $1, then there might be something there to say that hey, it s a fare after all.
I'd like to agree with you - no consideration means no contract.

However, given the airlines choice to generate revenue through "taxes" and "fees" instead of through "fares", I'd say everyone whose credit cards has been charged has an enforceable contract. Those who haven't been charged, tough luck...maybe next time
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
There was no fare, hence there should be no ticket. You have only been charged taxes. If there has been a fare, say even $1, then there might be something there to say that hey, it s a fare after all.
The quoted price (at least on the Swiss.com site) never broke out any separate charges. How the price was arrived at was never explained. I was quoted a total price per passenger. I never saw a zero dollar base fare or any number other than the total.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I too a minute to call Travelocity.ca in India (800-457-8010).
They advised me that LX cancelled my ticket yesterday due to an 'internet error.' The agent stated LX had 'thousands and thousands' of customers who purchased these tickets (my ticket was YYZ-VIE via Zurich). I requested to speak to a supervisor, and the agent took my # down to have a supervisor call back.

I asked them whether hypothetically, I also had a right to call and change my mind regarding a ticket I purchased two days ago and request a refund, since Swiss has decided to do the same with my ticket. This reverse psychology apparently got lost in translation and did not get me too far...

I will also attempt to get resolution via other means - such as contacting Swiss Corporate directly.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostonbali
I too a minute to call Travelocity.ca in India (800-457-8010).
They advised me that LX cancelled my ticket yesterday due to an 'internet error.' The agent stated LX had 'thousands and thousands' of customers who purchased these tickets (my ticket was YYZ-VIE via Zurich). I requested to speak to a supervisor, and the agent took my # down to have a supervisor call back.

I asked them whether hypothetically, I also had a right to call and change my mind regarding a ticket I purchased two days ago and request a refund, since Swiss has decided to do the same with my ticket. This reverse psychology apparently got lost in translation and did not get me too far...

I will also attempt to get resolution via other means - such as contacting Swiss Corporate directly.
Thousands and thousands. LOL.

The agent I spoke with seemed pretty confident that 78 reservations were booked through Travelocity.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Thousands and thousands. LOL.

The agent I spoke with seemed pretty confident that 78 reservations were booked through Travelocity.
Is it possible that the 78 number relates to the DEL reservations only, and perhaps more people than that booked trips to Zurich and other European destinations???
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You know... that is excatly why airlines wanted to go all e-tickets. They have full control of the tickets! They can then do what they want with it.

The agency ie Travelocity may have issued the ticket, but effectively it is the airlines that have the control. Just like the AZ ticket from CMB to NYC when people issued e-tickets on SQ stock. SQ effectively cancelled their portion of the flights rendering the entire ticket unusable. SQ just simply refused to honor their ticketing agreement.

So this is exactly what is happening here. LX is cancelling their agreement to issue the tickets. Nothing wrong with that. They have the right to refund whatever you had paid in full. If paper tickets had been issued then it would have been a different case. As then the agency would have to physically take the ticket to refund. Therefore the agency can then say - not our problem to do that.

But with e-tickets, that is what will be.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Is it possible that the 78 number relates to the DEL reservations only, and perhaps more people than that booked trips to Zurich and other European destinations???
Sure. My guess is that there were 78 total travelocity.ca bookings, but I could be wrong. In any event, I don't think this was around long enough for "thousands and thousands" of bookings to be made.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this is exactly what is happening here. LX is cancelling their agreement to issue the tickets.
My reservations show that LX canceled only the AC segments of my tickets. AC confirms this, saying that it was LX who canceled, not AC.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know... that is excatly why airlines wanted to go all e-tickets. They have full control of the tickets! They can then do what they want with it.

The agency ie Travelocity may have issued the ticket, but effectively it is the airlines that have the control. Just like the AZ ticket from CMB to NYC when people issued e-tickets on SQ stock. SQ effectively cancelled their portion of the flights rendering the entire ticket unusable. SQ just simply refused to honor their ticketing agreement.

So this is exactly what is happening here. LX is cancelling their agreement to issue the tickets. Nothing wrong with that. They have the right to refund whatever you had paid in full. If paper tickets had been issued then it would have been a different case. As then the agency would have to physically take the ticket to refund. Therefore the agency can then say - not our problem to do that.

But with e-tickets, that is what will be.
Nothing wrong with that?

And what ended up happening with the AZ deal?

Are you sad that you did not get in on this one?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I've still only been contacted about one of my three tickets, and we're going on 72 hours.....
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
So I've still only been contacted about one of my three tickets, and we're going on 72 hours.....
Hope that means good news for you. Do you have ticket numbers?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Hope that means good news for you. Do you have ticket numbers?
Well I booked through swiss.com and it says my reservation can't be viewed online, so how would I find out? I haven't seen anything that would suggest I have a ticket number. This is an area in which I'm clueless.

It seems like a lot of people haven't been contacted yet, at least of those that are booked on LX metal across the pond, no? I'm not really that confident anymore, but I'm just a bit surprised that I still haven't been contacted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.