Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chris Elliott: "Elites ruining air travel"/Uses FT as example

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chris Elliott: "Elites ruining air travel"/Uses FT as example

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:45 am
Suspended

2 to 3 years ago, a a mr.philip.. something from microsoft financials used a few quotes from flyertalk to illustrate his point that Frequent flyers from flyertalk abuse corporate rate codes and are a prime group who "steal" money from companies. Now im reading a article from msnbc, is it a coincidence that this topic seem to eminate from affliates or are related to the microsoft group....
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
From my "e" to Elliott...

......it was a little odd to lump "FlyerTalkers" in with the boorish examples you gave. Anyone who tries the stunts you catalogue in the article will most definitely get lambasted by FlyerTalkers, who are most definitely savvy in knowing what they benefits they are to receive and not receive.

The "rules are for the little people" attitude will certainly pop up from time to time, but anyone posting with such an attitude on FlyerTalk will quickly get put in their place.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
It's not sweeping, nor is it a generalization. The generalization writes itself for the uninitiated: this board almost entirely focuses on accrual of miles and points so as to attain status. OK, fine. Having said that, some cursory reading here will indeed reveal that there is a lot of complaining about minutiae along with whining about upgrades and airline policies that prevent overuse of same. Let's add to this that there are a group of posters spread all over the airline boards who seem to live for nothing else other than status, thereby leading the uninitiated to think they are status-obsessed and have nothing else in their lives. Never mind that these people are probably road warriors, so their status is indeed very important to them. But someone who peeks in on the site and doesn't have background information can easily reach the conclusion that any one poster on any given day could be a self-important toolbag.

Whether or not most FTer's are elitists in their off-website lives doesn't matter: perception by outsiders of their writings on the board is what counts in this example. And if they look to be elitists, that outsider (Elliott) will label them such. I personally think there are tons of people here who look down their nose at those who fly in Y or those who fly WN...and with terms like "Kettles" and "great unwashed" getting thrown around fairly regularly, I'm afraid that there might be a loss of understanding among those who do not frequent FT. Those people who look down their nose also do a great job of looking like they come off as better than those other people who do fly WN or regularly sit in Y, whether because of their personal means or their lack of status.

Long story short: perception is way more important than truth. And the truth is that a perception of elitism is dominant here. YMMV of course.
Mr. Elliot may not spend a whole lot of time here which explains his perception. But, I'd have to agree with C.Mike here. There are some tools here, like it or not.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: Lots
Chris Elliott has certainly found the trick to making a name for himself: Write sensationalist nonsense and people will read it.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:58 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
We have been questioning Chris Elliott's travel knowledge for years on FT it seems. Maybe if a journalist doesn't have the expertise, perhaps they can create a sensationalist concept to create interest in their articles?

Best you can do is not pay attention. I don't even bother reading them anymore.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 98103
Mr. Elliot may not spend a whole lot of time here which explains his perception. But, I'd have to agree with C.Mike here. There are some tools here, like it or not.
well said! We can be a Home Depot at times
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by mc4bbs
His mention of Flyertalk in a negative light was unwarranted.

I've seen a much higher percentage of "issues" coming from coach than I've ever seen from the front of the plane. Any of us that fly weekly know this to be true.

In one way or another, people pay to be in first class, if someone in coach wants "the best of both worlds", they need to book in business class (if their airline has 'middle class') and shut up.

<snip>...

Leave the folks in the front of the plane alone. We're paying for the airline to exist for your benefit!
Hammers, nails, warm nuts: Aisle 12.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 98103
Soooo...is that any different for any other boards, groups or segments of society ... even Presidents of the USA?

mike
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS
Elliot is an idiot. I have seen much worse behavior coming out of economy than first class in my flying experience.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
The fact is, if he has such a problem with elites and first class passengers, he can get pretty much anywhere in the country on Southwest, JetBlue, and Spirit and never have to worry about red carpets, lavish meals, or self-entitled card wavers again. Of course, he wouldn't get an F class seat then....
I had the impression that although Spirit eliminated first-class service, they still sell first-class seats. Does anyone know differently?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:05 pm

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Well, I don't think he is an idiot. He got, what, 24 of you to read his column?

I do think he is a jerk, which is why I stopped reading his useless column. (I didn't read this one.... probably just more of the past drivel.)

Remember, that as a journalist, he must sell his words. Sensationalism sells. Even "quiet sensationalism" like (non-existent) gourmet meals in domestic first.

BTW, I am sure he is gleefully reading this thread. DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
....and don't forget when USA Today fired him back in 2003....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265893
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA, AA
Mr. Elliott is just unhappy that the airlines operate in a capitalist environment. He would be much happier if all airlines were run in a single class, perhaps communist style, set up.

Here's what I wrote to him:

What I find ironic to your story is your example of Mr. Signore who seems to be one who wants to enjoy the perks of the "priviledged" class. Although I don't know the specifics (perhaps there were 10 people in line in back and maybe nature called in haste) he wanted to feel entitled to something he didn't pay for or earn.

Most of the time I'm in coach, and I know my place. If I had paid to sit in business or first class, or am there as a reward for loyalty, I can partake in the little luxuries that come with being up front. It's difficult for airlines to differentiate themselves, and having first class cabins is one way they can. For those who don't like this arrangement, there are plenty of single class airlines to fly on. Namely: Frontier, jetBlue, Expressjet and Southwest.

Last edited by oceanside greg; Jun 17, 2008 at 12:32 pm Reason: spelling correction
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Elliot is an idiot. I have seen much worse behavior coming out of economy than first class in my flying experience.
Amen to this. I too can attest that in general, and there are exceptions, that behavior in the back of the plane is a lot worse. Now, I guess this guy is suggesting that airlines treat a 100K pax the same as a flyer that will fly the airline once solely on price probably never to be seen again.

Just about every consumer business out there has a loyalty program to one extent or another, aimed at constant repeat business. This jerk needs to get a job.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold
My response:

I'm not a first class flier, just someone who feels the need to point out the ridiculousness of your diatribe. The best part is that you used Naomi Campbell and a third world airline as examples to strengthen your "argument." Here's the deal...THEY PAID FOR THE PRIVILEGES. Sounds like someone didn't do so well in economics. If you didn't realize this, we live in a free market society. That's right, comrade, we actually get to choose how to spend our money, and most companies even have the privilege of offering different levels of service at multiple price points! I look forward to your next column, let me guess..."The proper way to look disapprovingly upon luxury car owners?" Or maybe "I can't see the game from up here: Why the NBA should give me free courtside seats." Tell the sans-culottes "hi" for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.