Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chris Elliott: "Elites ruining air travel"/Uses FT as example

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chris Elliott: "Elites ruining air travel"/Uses FT as example

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Lame editorial, but who cares?

People flying coach to Orlando once every three years, the only people that would agree with the author that the "elite" benefits are unacceptable and everyone should experience the same level of service, have always had an axe to grind with elites. Even though most of my travel us in E+ as required by my corporate travel policy, I realize the guy paying $2,000 compared to my $200 should receive more perks than me.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
I think most the comments here are actually just confirming what Chris Elliott wrote, unfortunately.

With the obvious exception of this pretty silly one, correct?

mike
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:10 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
"stowed away like cargo"

maybe this journalist should go to a war zone. then he would really realize what being an object really feels like.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
While some folks clearly want to wave their status in front of everyone else, I'm of the opinion that most FTers are among the most considerate with respect to GAs, FAs, other pax, etc. You'd never know that from the editorial, though!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I think this is a product of Elliott's editors trying to squeeze too much output out of him. Usually when that happens we get a harmless "list" article, but this time he hung a breaking ball on a 3-2 count when he had a base open for an intentional walk.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL FO; > 6'8" FF club
Smile

Or have airlines enabled this destructive behavior and created a toxic and decidedly un-democratic culture of entitlement?
There is a VERY good reason the USA was never meant to be a Democracy and thus the word can not be found in the constitution. The difference between Democracy and Republic kind of sums up how I feel about the article
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
From what I've seen of the folks here, he hit it right on.

"OMG MY FLIGHT WAS 5 MINUTES LATE I WANT COMPENSATION"
"They closed my flight a half second early, why won't they pay for my hotel room? I'm PLATINUM"
"My flight was cancelled, WHY WON'T they put me in first class on another airline, even tho I had a coach ticket, I'm a PLAT"

Last edited by bspencerco; Jun 22, 2008 at 8:13 pm Reason: added
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Originally Posted by davidthomson
He thinks the toilet rule (no econ use toilet in 1st) and has no idea this actually is a directive from Homeland Security! Moron mistake 2!!!
Nice try, grab a mirror.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
i do not like the term "gate lice", that some fter's use for people, that is very offensive and rude to speak of people like that, and by the way what is the difference whether one boards first,middle or last, the plane leaves at the same time and gets there at the same time, for the person in the front, middle or back of plane, i would think that it would be more important where one sat, i.e.- first class or business class as opposed to economy class, rather than when one boarded the plane, just my 2 cents worth. thanks for your time.

kctigers.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kctigers
..... and by the way what is the difference whether one boards first,middle or last....
kctigers.
Whatever difference it made in the past, it's going to be tripled now that several of the airlines have imposed their unthoughtful checked baggage fees.

Same amount of overhead space, and many more carry-ons.

Getting on first will have it's distinct advantage.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Can't believe he was able to pass off a cheap shot blaming elite fliers as the bane of the air industry as "travel journalism".

Took advantage of the "send me your comments" section at end of article to state my opinion; I encourage other FT's to do the same.

Bet all this is because his upgrade didn't clear!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
i do not like the term "gate lice", that some fter's use for people,
that is very offensive and rude to speak of people like that, .... kctigers.
The subject here is Chris Elliott's journalism,
not what you like or dislike.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by fzwinter
While some folks clearly want to wave their status in front of everyone else, I'm of the opinion that most FTers are among the most considerate with respect to GAs, FAs, other pax, etc. You'd never know that from the editorial, though!
FT'ers maybe, elites as a whole? No way. I've dated a few F/As and I have a few FAs in my family - they'd all agree that the elite pax are usually the worst because their elite status fosters a sense of entitlement. Trouble arises when that sense of entitlement makes them think that the rules don't apply to them. The stories I've heard......shocking.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
FT'ers maybe, elites as a whole? No way. I've dated a few F/As and I have a few FAs in my family - they'd all agree that the elite pax are usually the worst because their elite status fosters a sense of entitlement. Trouble arises when that sense of entitlement makes them think that the rules don't apply to them. The stories I've heard......shocking.
I am sure those same F/As forgot about all the nice elite members they have encountered as well. Although I do feel fairly entitled considering how much I spend to keep the airlines afloat, is it too much to ask to get a pre-flight glass of ice water and some warm nuts? That's all I ask.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
i do not like the term "gate lice", that some fter's use for people, that is very offensive and rude to speak of people like that, and by the way what is the difference whether one boards first,middle or last, the plane leaves at the same time and gets there at the same time, for the person in the front, middle or back of plane, i would think that it would be more important where one sat, i.e.- first class or business class as opposed to economy class, rather than when one boarded the plane, just my 2 cents worth. thanks for your time.

kctigers.
kctigers, Which is more rude and offensive, calling someone "gate lice," or rushing up to the gate area when you are not supposed to board and blocking other people from getting on the plane?

As for it not mattering when one gets on a plane, it has been scientifically proven that when the overhead bins are full then additional items can't be put in the overhead bins. More and more people now want to carry everything they own onto the plane. I only carry a computer backpack, but it is absolutely vital that it be placed in the overhead bin as I can't stretch out my legs if it is placed under the seat in front of me. For that reason, it is very, very important to get on the plane fairly early to claim a small speck of bin space before everyone tries to load their suitcases into them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.