Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife

They said the word just came down (4:00 PM EST-ish) that AZ will not honor any of these. Period.

OK...well at least we know now,,,I think
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by rcs85551
2:00 hours (same for DL to AF*/DL - both AZ and AF depart out of terminal 1)
I should have been more specific - both flights are operated by Delta, with the JFK-FCO flight carrying an Az code but operated by DL.

I did notice that Expedia sells it as valid when its under native DL code - I realize though that the AZ code might throw it off...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:02 pm

canceled around 4:15 EDT

I was in the same boat as many... Confirmed flight but not ticketed. My flight was just canceled around 4:15pm.

After the flight was canceled I broke down and called Orbitz. Everyone there must be getting beat up because the supervisor I spoke with was very defensive on the phone. Without much discussion he basically told me that Alitalia has refused to honor the tickets and is refunding everyone. At this point Orbitz is not doing anything about it.

He said my two courses of action were to take it up with Alitalia or to contact Orbitz corporate office. I think I'll be contacted Orbitz corporate. Maybe they can bully Alitalia into honoring the fare.

Here's the Orbitz corporate address for anyone interested.

Office of the President
200 S. Wacker Drive
Suite 1900
Chicago, IL 60606

On a seperate note... Just a little rant after following this thread beyond the 2000th post...

I'm willing to pester Orbitz and Alitalia with phone calls and letters to have them honor the fare, however it seems like some people are taking this a bit far. Put yourself in Orbitz or Alitalia's shoes. Are you telling me you would honor an obvious fare mistake and lose potentially millions of dollars. I doubt it...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
I should have been more specific - both flights are operated by Delta, with the JFK-FCO flight carrying an Az code but operated by DL.

I did notice that Expedia sells it as valid when its under native DL code - I realize though that the AZ code might throw it off...
DL op to DL op is 1:10.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
I had two reservations cancelled by Orbitz. Just telephoned Orbitz and the agent advised that AlItalia cancelled the reservations and Orbitz are still trying to resolve the issues with them. Agent added that they expect to resolve this in the next two hours and requested that I call back then.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Kahuna
Agent added that they expect to resolve this in the next two hours
Call me skeptical. Do you know what time it is in MXP?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:06 pm

I had two reservations cancelled by Orbitz. Just telephoned Orbitz and the agent advised that AlItalia cancelled the reservations and Orbitz are still trying to resolve the issues with them. Agent added that they expect to resolve this in the next two hours and requested that I call back then.
Orbitz has seriously got to send an email out to their reservation agents on this one and try to coordinate responses/policy. This whole situation is making them look terrible.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
She probably just hasn't gotten the above message yet. If they really do cancel, I think I will sue both AZ and Orbitz in state court here in TN. If their legal department is wise, they'll probably just phone and offer to "settle" by letting me fly. Time to look up filing fees.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Call me skeptical. Do you know what time it is in MXP?
I doubt anyone is getting much sleep over there!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by miguel0881
She probably just hasn't gotten the above message yet. If they really do cancel, I think I will sue both AZ and Orbitz in state court here in TN. If their legal department is wise, they'll probably just phone and offer to "settle" by letting me fly. Time to look up filing fees.

Honestly, if you didn't have ticket numbers issued for your ticket you are facing an uphill battle. Just remember. "Fares are not guaranteed until Ticketed"
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:09 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
My res and ticket nos. are still intact; I think I might make a nonrefundable hotel booking (using Orbitz of course) for Larnaca and tie it to the itinerary. Hmmm. Do I feel lucky?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Just clarify about the ACCURATE 'opportunity cost' vs. hard cost' to AZ.

They only sold D inventory which is likely 2 seats, maybe up to 4 seats max per flight. Now spread those 2-4 seats over AZ flights from YYZ, ORD, IAD, JFK and EWR. However many tickets were sold in D, will only marginally dilute the ability of AZ to sell more J seats. FT might have maxed AZ out of D inventory, but certainly not out of the other J fare buckets.

Further, for those of us who booked during non-peak season (say after August), then there is less likelihood that AZ's J cabins are full in any event, so there's no real hard cost.

Some intriguing middle ground might be getting AZ to agree to a guaranteed/no hassle reinstatement of YYZ-LCA tickets with the proviso that we travel outside of certain 'peak' time periods (May-Aug; Xmas vacation;etc.). I'm happy to scratch their back if they'll keep scratching mine!!!!

Programs: Delta Platinum, AAdvantage 1MM, Bonvoy, Hilton, IHG, Emerald (National), BA Emirates
A name? A face? A press release?

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
Am I the 2000th poster?!?! Sweet!

Orbitz just cxl-ed mine on their site. I finally broke down and called them. They said the word just came down (4:00 PM EST-ish) that AZ will not honor any of these. Period. I think that's why travelocity users are seeing these at the same time. I told the CSR that my "friend" had his reinstated and they said it will be axed too. FYI - he said Orbitz booked 500 seats on this itin (people were speculating early on in this thread how many booked it). So maybe a few thousand? Who knows.

The word "came down"? with Charlton Heston? on stone tablets?

There is nothing like a press release on the alitalia website.

mama mia!
i'm so exhausted
several hours on the phone with orbitz

they reinstated my reservation earlier today but the return city was Boston
now they are saying AZ changed my return flight to arrive in Toronto (on the different day) that just happened 15 minutes ago, but the information in the Orbitz system will not be updated (yet?)

now orbitz shows my reservation as not cancelled, still showing Boston return, I have ticket numbers, but no paper tickets, virtuallythere and other sites do not show my reservation

I had reservations, no tickets #, showed up as cancelled this afternoon. I called Orbitz and was told to call back after 10pm CST to find out if I can receive any compensation for the cancelled reservation. The CSR said that AZ was going to inform Orbitz before 10pm CST of what they were going to do. Anyone else get that story as well?

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.