Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by humanoid94
It may well be true that "fares are not guaranteed until ticketed", but that is not what a lot of airlines say on their websites. Here is the line from NW's booking page, "Fares and availability are not guaranteed until purchase.". I think it is clear that purchases ocurred (I have a 600 dollar charge on my credit card)
It really doesn't matter what is said on an airline website, it matters what legall terms are used in the carriers Contract of Carriage. Indeed NW for one has a specific policy about misfiled fares in their contract of carriage:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363676

I do not know for a fact, however, whether all airlines, including AZ in this case, have updated their own contracts of carriage to mirror NW's.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by miguel0881
I find it hard to believe that the final word is going to come down from AZ in Milan, or even NY, at 10 PM. I think AZ has already made up its mind, and the Orbitz legal team has requested until 10 PM to finish researching the case law, and prepare the memo. Then Orbitz will decide what it can really do, and what position it should take with AZ. All pure speculation, of course, but what else do we have?!
Or we could word it this way:

I think AZ has already made up its mind, and the Orbitz spinmeisters have requested until 10 PM to finish deciding how to spin this so they don't look bad, and prepare the cancellation e-mail everyone will get blaming someone else.

Edit: I really, really hope this isn't the case, but if we're speculating...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
If they do honor these tickets then you really have to feel bad for the AZ frequent fliers that might have wanted to book a J class ticket to the states using miles. I bet that availability just got shot.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by sjc_longhorn
With AZ, fares are not guaranteed once ticketed.
Then how do they work through ATPCO?

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Quick question - has anyone been cancelled yet that was ticketed for flights that did not include a domestic (US/CAN) segment? I have YYZ-MXP-FCO-LCA-MXP-YYZ. I know a lot have been cancelled with the connection but I havent heard any that did not.

Originally Posted by tcook052
It really doesn't matter what is said on an airline website, it matters what legall terms are used in the carriers Contract of Carriage. Indeed NW for one has a specific policy about misfiled fares in their contract of carriage:

I do not know for a fact, however, whether all airlines, including AZ in this case, have updated their own contracts of carriage to mirror NW's.
Meh. I've traveled on a hanful of NW zero (or near zero) fares since that update.

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold
Maybe they'll do something a-la Air Canada and honor only one of the reservations, vs. multiple ones.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Orbitz has seriously got to send an email out to their reservation agents on this one and try to coordinate responses/policy. This whole situation is making them look terrible.
Agreed. I just called back regarding my second cancellation and was given a totally different story. Second Orbitz agent tells me Alitalia cancelled my reservation, call them. This is such bull.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: US Chairman's, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Etc.
Originally Posted by tcook052

I have read AZ's Conditions of Carriage and I see nothing about misfiled fares. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I think either AZ or Orbitz is on the hook for any reservations that had a valid reservation code.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by gldwebs
If they do honor these tickets then you really have to feel bad for the AZ frequent fliers that might have wanted to book a J class ticket to the states using miles. I bet that availability just got shot.
Do you know what fare class their upgrades go into? If not D, then what's the concern?

I don't feel too bad. I have difficulty getting award inventory on AZ when using my NW miles from time to time. Ebb and flow.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by IrishRed
Or we could word it this way:

I think AZ has already made up its mind, and the Orbitz spinmeisters have requested until 10 PM to finish deciding how to spin this so they don't look bad, and prepare the cancellation e-mail everyone will get blaming someone else.

Edit: I really, really hope this isn't the case, but if we're speculating...
Probably the most realistic outcome. Can you tell I'm making my expectations really low, saving energy in case of that slight chance the tix get honored, so that I can partake in the euphoria allover again?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
They are actually having a meeting in their conference room, with this FT thread on the overhead projector and refreshed every 60 seconds

Originally Posted by MACH81
AZ Headquarters are in Rome and not Milan,close to FCO.I'm sure that Orbitz,travelocity and chaptickets are over the phone with AZ as of now.No one is sleeping at AZ,I'm sure,even though the losses will not be as many as previously posted.Many of those seats would have gone unsold anyway.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:36 pm
Suspended

I had 2 reservations.

1 was cancelled, and the other one is still available.

We'll see what happens.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
I have read AZ's Conditions of Carriage and I see nothing about misfiled fares. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I think either AZ or Orbitz is on the hook for any reservations that had a valid reservation code.
It's the airline not Orbitz.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by bigbrownboy
Yeah, my CheapTickets UPS 2-day tracking says there is a 'return to sender'. I hope I have the same luck as you with my driver tomorrow (for whatever it might be worth to have the paper, in hand)!
This is why I pointed out that it was worth it to pay the extra $5 to Cheaptickets to get next day delivery. In the long run, I don't know that it will help, but they certainly can't say it's a mistake, as I have paper tickets...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.