Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by beaubo
To repeat...

AZ is supposed to advise Orbitz within 24 hours of the MCT issue, so that in theory, Orbitz could rebook an earlier flight to keep reservation intact.

So, either AZ cancelled these tickets because they PURPOSELY waited beyond 24 hours to advise Orbitz about the MCT issue, and thus trigger the cancellation.

Or, AZ sent Orbitz back the tickets within 24 hours, and Orbitz PURPOSELY chose not to rebook earlier MCT-compliant flights within 24 hours, to thus trigger the cancellation.

Both parties had seeming good reason to use the 24 hour MCT window as pretext for cancellation instead of the normal course of action of simply rebooking on an earlier MCT-compliant flight

The ancillary issue here is obviously, why would Orbitz and/or AZ permit an itinerary to even be selected if it had MCT issues. Obviously, we make our bookings based on good faith that MCTs are within the rules. If I see an Orbitz option with a 55 minute connection, I assume its legit or otherwise Orbitz software wouldn't display it.
I booked on CT, not that it really matters, it's all the same company in the end.

If it comes down to it I will use that excuse (I could book it, so it's not my fault, it's yours) and demand they reinstate the tickets with an earlier YYZ-IAD flight. But it could all be a moot point, no sense in worrying until some sort of definitive answer comes down the line either way.

Last edited by IrishRed; Apr 6, 2006 at 2:26 pm Reason: speeling airor
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:24 pm

Wait, there is not a whole lot else to do. I will probably wait to tomorrow and then call asking why my reservation was cancelled. Hopefully they will have an official response by then.

Originally Posted by MrZhu
Mr. Zhu's flights have been canceled.

What to do?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by zxcvbs
did anyone who didn't get a tracking number receive their tickets? if so, what booking site and shipping service?
I booked my tickets on Orbitz at 1115 yesterday AM. No tracking number ever appeared and my itin. has been cancelled except for my BOS-YYZ leg on MQ. But my paper tickets did just arrive......

MCT in milan and rome?

anyone know the MCT in milan and/or rome? this is a transfer from an intl flight to an intra-EU flight...
sry if this was already asked...

thnx
r

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Wait, there is not a whole lot else to do. I will probably wait to tomorrow and then call asking why my reservation was cancelled. Hopefully they will have an official response by then.
Better yet.....Mr. Zhu will go get some ice cream!

Still given they took over 24 hours to cancel my reservation, I don't think they can get it away with it.

No communication from anyone is bad form too.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA-Plat, UA Prem Ex, Delta Gold, SPG-Gold, Priority Club-Gold
Update

My ticket that had ticket numbers issued is still ok - and Alitalia confirmed it is ok to travel.
My other ticket which had NO ticket number, just got cancelled by ORBITZ. On with a supervisor now.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:28 pm

Orbitz

Alitalia is trying to cancel this on me. Who was successful in getting re-instated and for what dates?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by angus1999
My ticket that had ticket numbers issued is still ok - and Alitalia confirmed it is ok to travel.
My other ticket which had NO ticket number, just got cancelled by ORBITZ. On with a supervisor now.
Please update us on what the Supervisor said.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MrZhu
Mr. Zhu's flights have been canceled.

What to do?
Mr. Zhu should hang tight and see what happens over the next few hours/days.

Mr. Zhu might end up going to Cyprus after all.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA-Plat, UA Prem Ex, Delta Gold, SPG-Gold, Priority Club-Gold
Update 2

Orbitz International coordinator says as of 4.00pm EST, Orbitz is still awaiting clarification from AZ and has NOT made a decision on what action to take on any of these tix.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
Originally Posted by umguy
I'm still a bit groggy about all of this. If fares are not guaranteed until ticketed. And they had to go to AZ to be tickted. And they were in fact ticketed. How does AZ really think they can get around this beast? I issue tickets in SABRE and as long as it autoprices and it's ticketed. There isn't much recourse the airline can do if it's offered.
AZ has very much an FY attitude on this. I called Travelocity this morning after receiving the "Issued by Alitalia" paper tickets, Travelocity called AZ after noting that the rez had been cancelled by AZ, got some Italian AZ rep on the phone who kindly offered a) refund of fare and taxes (and I eat the shipping charge? Screw you AZ!), or b) the option to pay the difference between what they charged for the fare and what they wanted to charge for the fare. I passed. I'm really hoping Travelocity and the rest will come through on this. The CEO has claimed they're big on "customer advocacy" so now's the time to step up. Yeah, it was obviously a mistake fare, but there was no fraud involved, they got exactly what they were asking for the tickets, and tickets were printed and received by customers. They had a million and one chances to spot this one before it went crazy but failed. Whose fault is that?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by angus1999
Orbitz International coordinator says as of 4.00pm EST, Orbitz is still awaiting clarification from AZ and has NOT made a decision on what action to take on any of these tix.

Isn't that the same info that was posted 3 hours ago?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AAdvantage 1MM, Bonvoy, Hilton, IHG, Emerald (National), BA Emirates
Subthreads or better way to share information needed...

So many different kinds of circumstances, among the hundreds of people who thought they bought tickets yesterday - - and there doesn't seem to be a good way to get people with like information needs, communicating with each other... regarding effective strategies for getting a resolution for these canceled tickets and reservations. It seems like going directly through Alitalia has a higher chance of being left out in the cold than going through Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz.

Has anyone who booked directly through Alitalia found a worthwhile channel of communications... for discerning the status of the purchase or reservation you made?

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
What's the INTL-INTL MCT at JFK for DL -> AZ*/DL (codeshare)?
2:00 hours (same for DL to AF*/DL - both AZ and AF depart out of terminal 1)

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
Travelocity update:

Your reservation is no longer active or has been canceled. If you need further assistance, call our Customer Service Center. In the United States call 888-872-8356 (En Espaņol 7am-11pm: 866-828-3933, TDD/Hearing Impaired: 800-555-7585). Outside the United States call 210-521-5871.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.