Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

LAX-NAN (Nadi, Fiji) - $51 all in - Travelocity! (fare gone - discussion only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-NAN (Nadi, Fiji) - $51 all in - Travelocity! (fare gone - discussion only)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:12 pm

Could someone please post a # for those who still haven't got the call
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by vickh
Could someone please post a # for those who still haven't got the call

Last edited by KatTwinkles; Apr 14, 2005 at 6:35 pm
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:32 pm

thanks!

Last edited by vickh; Apr 14, 2005 at 6:50 pm
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:34 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Kat,

That's a number for 'special people' - like me and you. NOT FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC. In fact, TL asked that that number NOT BE MADE public. Mebbe you might want to edit your post... or just e-mail the person w the original request.

Thanks.

Your post is kinna like giving out the UA 1K 1-800 number for all to see.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by tvl4free
Kat,

That's a number for 'special people' - like me and you. NOT FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC. In fact, TL asked that that number NOT BE MADE public. Mebbe you might want to edit your post... or just e-mail the person w the original request.

Thanks.

Your post is kinna like giving out the UA 1K 1-800 number for all to see.
Sorry - I had no idea - they did not mention that to me - it seemed like a general number. I think I will go back to lurking.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:39 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally Posted by KatTwinkles
I think I will go back to lurking.
Please dont. Your posts are entertaining.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YWEM
Build your own package and price it on Travelocity. Then price each item individually and compare. Take the lowest "total trip" price and then go out to the individual supplier sites , low cost travel .coms, even calling direct and compare. Last year alone I traveled 8x to the same place needed air/car/hotel and I saved over $1300
So are you saying that the packages were better, or booking separately was better?

Sometimes the packages are a better deal (e.g. sometimes an air/hotel package is cheaper than airfare alone). Othertimes booking separately is a better deal.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:21 pm

Wow. Some people are really pessimistic.
I wish all of you a great time in Fiji. I only wish I had been lucky enough to book it and to have been able to get the time off.
Have a drink for me!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:26 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Ring! Ring!

I got my phone call! Tony was very professional and went through the same spiel the rest of you got. However, I did cut him off when I excitedly said "I'm going to Fiji!" just like the NFL players say about Disneyland after winning the Super Bowl...ha ha!

He did try the passport scare tactic and seemed surprised that my 7 year old has a passport (ahhh...one that has many stamps already!).

The poor guy never did get a chance to offer me the $250 vouchers.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by YWEM
YWEM....

Call it what you will, Any way you slice and dice it the only way for Travelocity to prosper is by their own mistakes.

I won't comment any longer on the Fiji fiasco until I hear that everyone who was able to purchase the fare actually travel and return home safely and without any incident.

I will happily eat crow should no-one reports any problems with the actual fare/ticket or any problems with their pre-paid hotel and/or car reservation.
Some of us have been on Flyertalk for seven years (holy crap...time flies) and have prospered from many many fare mistake opportunities. You know what? They always unfold pretty much the same way. I knew from the moment this was posted that it would turn out just fine.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Apr 14, 2005 at 7:32 pm
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got my call, too. Well, I got a message and returned it.

Before the nice woman could get a start, I said, "I'm aware of the offer, but I already have air and hotel reservations in Fiji."

She confirmed they'd honor the tickets, and I thanked her and mentioned that I'd do my best to use Travelocity in the future.

I'll see many of you on 5/28!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:37 pm

Our Fiji guinea pig is due home in 2 days!

Newportgambler's jaw is gonna drop to the floor when he gets back from Fiji and sees how long this thread has grown!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up I was in Fiji a couple of months ago - Accom Option

I was in Fiji a couple of months ago and can vouch for this place:

http://www.octopusresort.com/

The photos on their website are not the best but I would be happy to email some of mine to anyone that is interested. The beach front bures are a really nice retreat from the hustle and bustle of the real world. Just don't expect to be in touch with the real world much as it is secluded and they have one phone! The meals were excellent (plan includes Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) - things like fresh grilled fish, east Indian dishes, a Fijian buffet and show on the Fri night (included). Great people there too. Some side trip options, largely pretty basic. A basic dive operation there as well. I really liked it, didn't meet anyone that didn't have a great time. Oh, and its pretty cheap and a 2 hour boat ride from Nadi.

There are no nice beaches in or near Nadi and not much in that regard on Viti Levu, the main island. Octopus is on Waya Island in the Wasaya chain. I took the Awesome Adventures boat there, air con and a smooth trip.

PM me if you would like to see some better photos along with an email address.

Altaflyer
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
He did try the passport scare tactic and seemed surprised that my 7 year old has a passport
It's not necessarily a scare tactic, it's actually a valid concern. Keep in mind some like 85% of Americans don't have a passport, and since this deal ended up getting cross-posted to some of the generalized deal sites (slickdeals, fatwallet, etc.), there is a real possibility someone might have jumped in and not realized there was a passport requirement. Or just didn't think of it in the "frenzy" to book something.

In fact, when I got my folks in on the Iceland deal last year, I had to remind them to check the expiration on their passports, as my father doesn't travel out of the country much, and we needed to make sure it was still valid.

Similarly, the cost of hotels could be a valid concern, and as a savvy traveller I knew to check. Note on the first page the time difference between me posting the deal, and when I posted that I'm in. It's only a few minutes, but I wanted to get the deal out for all, and at least give myself a rough idea of hotel costs to ensure they would not be prohibitive.

And if Travelocity can use this type of logic to get people to cancel, or drive more business, great. And for everyone else, I'll see you in Fiji!
Old Apr 14, 2005, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Some of us have been on Flyertalk for seven years (holy crap...time flies) and have prospered from many many fare mistake opportunities. You know what? They always unfold pretty much the same way. I knew from the moment this was posted that it would turn out just fine.
Yes, it makes perfect sense that they would all unfold pretty much the same way. I thought the ticket holders were in the clear after 48 hours with no info. Time is generally on the side of the ticket holders in these situations, since the longer an airline/agency waits to try to nullify the deal, the more liability they would incur for the ticket holders' "detrimental reliance" (i.e., nonrefundable costs they incur while relying on the airline/agency to honor the tickets, such as buying an air ticket to LAX).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.