Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

LAX-NAN (Nadi, Fiji) - $51 all in - Travelocity! (fare gone - discussion only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-NAN (Nadi, Fiji) - $51 all in - Travelocity! (fare gone - discussion only)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by jpdx
Because FTers don't happen to spot every single mistake Travelocity's software catches -- and rosj (whose software also catches these mistakes) can not be convinced to share them all.
rosj has a tool? News to me... gotta be nice to rosj from now on, I guess...

:-: :-:
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Because FTers don't happen to spot every single mistake Travelocity's software catches -- and rosj (whose software also catches these mistakes) can not be convinced to share them all.
Yes, but with FC's alerts and the size of this community, it seems to me more than a handful of those 800 would have made it to this forum. Maybe smaller markets where there are few alert subscribers?

What do you mean by "can not be convinced to share them all"? Human or HAL?

PS - The current numbers: Replies 1,366 Views 136,361
I think I'll go out and buy a lotto ticket.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:15 pm

I'm surprised to read that the Fiji deal cost them $2m -- I always thought they negotiated much more favorable terms with FJ.
They did mitigate their exposure somewhat - by the CEO's own admission Air Pacific accepted some free advertising on Travelocity in lieu of payment, and several ticket purchasers (myself included) accepted a voucher for future Travelocity purchases in exchange for canceling their trips.

The $2M figure is a bit of a red herring anyhow since we don't know how it was established... it could simply be the number of tickets sold multiplied by the normal full Y fare, which has little basis in reality.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Interesting how the article doesn't mention that Travelocity later ignored the spirit of their guarantee with the Osaka Hilton fiasco.
^
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
channa still lives... well I know two of the 400 :)

In no time, Channa's discovery had helped prompt more than 400 bookings among the frequent-flier cognoscenti eager to take advantage of the fare, which was displayed to travelers as $0 plus $51 in taxes.

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
It seems clear from the interview and article that the only reason the fare was honored was because they were about launch their marketing campaign about their new service guarantee. Clearly they felt their marketing campaign was worth more than the $2 million the mistake filing would cost them.

How many total tickets does $2 million equate to?

It's also interesting how she spins the manual review as a "brilliant idea" and "as a heart of what the guarantee is supposed to do" which is clearly to save Travelocity money, make them money and perhaps a distant third "protect" customers.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I still can't believe I missed this fare.

I'm headed to Taveuni in a few months to dive the Somosomo Strait.

Having always wanted to go to Fiji, I picked a really crappy day to be stuck in an out-of-town deposition.

Oh, well . . . you win some . . . you lose some.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:05 am

ahh.... thanks travelocity for that great trip...

never forget stepping up to the airline desk with my tickets and stepped on the plane.. greatest trip...

interesting explanation but doesn't it show that bad mismanagement runs that company. a bad ceo only blames others for her mistakes. It's all the IT department's fault right Michelle?

You goofed Michelle... admit it and suck it up...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:42 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
In no time, Channa's discovery had helped prompt more than 400 bookings among the frequent-flier cognoscenti eager to take advantage of the fare, which was displayed to travelers as $0 plus $51 in taxes.
You know more than two! Have any cravings for Fijian spaghetti lately?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:43 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer

Having always wanted to go to Fiji, I picked a really crappy day to be stuck in an out-of-town deposition.

Relax, this is an old thread that has be resurrected. This deal was from two and a half years ago.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Relax, this is an old thread that has be resurrected. This deal was from two and a half years ago.
I know. My depo, which operated to the exclusion of paying attention to FlyerTalk that day, was in April 2005. Pouring salt into old wounds!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by notsosmart
I resent the fact that we are being labeled as "trolls"!!!

True. Although being called a cognoscenti is not so bad

an expert able to appreciate a field; especially in the fine arts; connoisseur.

...and as you can see I missed this one completely by five months - glad to be here now though
Old Sep 26, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer

Have a great dive trip! SomoSomo has beautiful soft corals!

Be careful drinking your Kava. ^
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by newportgambler
interesting explanation but doesn't it show that bad mismanagement runs that company. a bad ceo only blames others for her mistakes. It's all the IT department's fault right Michelle?
If I'd been able to get in on that deal, I'd probably view it as good mismanagement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.