Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
What! How is HNL-LAX/SFO-LAX-XXX allowed on the same ticket?!
I am not sure what is going on at all with this fare
I've tried to come up with several alternative routes for the inbound in ITA and noticed the following for September flights:

- Atlanta, Portland, Seattle work when it comes to HNL-LAX / LAX-[one of these three] / [one of these three] - BUD
- cities such as SFO or NYC or New Orleans do not, I don't know why
- LAX-JFK / BOS-BUD works

Last edited by altalk08; Apr 8, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,

managed to get klm.hu to work (but only on Firefox, did not work on Chrome) and tried to make changes to my flight for the return portion for early Jan 2021, sadly all options and most dates had an addition of 1800+ Euro (660,000 HUF) for the change per person.
Leaving it as it is for now...
Tried to also help another friend to change so we fly on the same date, that also wanted additional ticket price of 1300+ euro for the outbound (basically wanting to change the 2nd LH flight to the same as the short haul).

In both cases, I saw the required J,I,I class available. Anyway, I'll wait and check again later...

Cheers!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi all,

managed to get klm.hu to work (but only on Firefox, did not work on Chrome) and tried to make changes to my flight for the return portion for early Jan 2021, sadly all options and most dates had an addition of 1800+ Euro (660,000 HUF) for the change per person.
Leaving it as it is for now...
Tried to also help another friend to change so we fly on the same date, that also wanted additional ticket price of 1300+ euro for the outbound (basically wanting to change the 2nd LH flight to the same as the short haul).

In both cases, I saw the required J,I,I class available. Anyway, I'll wait and check again later...

Cheers!
So I class was available and still the charge would have been 1800 Euros?

Last edited by altalk08; Apr 8, 2020 at 7:49 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:49 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by altalk08
So I class was available and still the charge would have been 1800 Euros?
no you were right on the first one - I wanted to change only the return/inbound portion - but still there was a fare difference of +1800+ Euros pp

Cheers!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
So I wanted to do this:

Worked perfectly, I wanted to do Virgin once anyway and with about 5 hours in Clubhouse (there is earlier AMS-LHR with I availability too), lie flat from Hawaii and desired New York for my girlfriend again with maximising possible stops creating one evening in Rome where drink with friends would be for sure, I was called from Delta after texting on Facebook. They aren't able to get me on this Virgin free of charge as it would rise the price up even there is "I" available, so anyway. After minutes on phone when I was not let to tell agent correct and exact flight numbers where I see "I" he told me the only way to get to HNL in September on my date +-2 days is to go BUD-AMS-LAX-HNL, back HNL-LAX-JFK and JFK-FCO-BUD without being able to get it via FRA and FCO. Fair enough....I only said something hmm is there any way to get Suites as we have it on our booking? So he came back with JFK-DTW-AMS-BUD and A350...I could not get backtracking in Matrix so was quite pleased to get it rather than 763 to Europe. After 45 minutes on the phone I got it with KLM to LAX on day flight and triple seven...........and with A350 via DTW back.

Not to mention he asked me three times "Sir, you paid just a little, what do you want, it is business class anyway."....

I am glad I postponed it from July to September but I am not leaving with feeling I make the most out of it
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:18 am

I currently have BUD-PRG-JFK-SJU//SJU-JFK-DFW//DFW-CDG-BUD booked. Would there be any problem with changing the second stopover to LAX instead (SJU-JFK-LAX//LAX-CDGorAMS-BUD)?

Somebody mentioned upthread that the fare rules allow a limited number of connections in the continental US. I'd like to maximize the fare to try the best products and earn as many VS miles as possible.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I really doubt you can change it to LAX because of MPM. But just give it a try in ITA Matrix?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:40 am

When I plug in F dl.bud+sju.I2FFHU into the extension box, and my original multi-city itinerary, it's displaying fares that are significantly higher than originally booked. How do I determine what itineraries are valid for a change without paying a fare difference?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
When I plug in F dl.bud+sju.I2FFHU into the extension box, and my original multi-city itinerary, it's displaying fares that are significantly higher than originally booked. How do I determine what itineraries are valid for a change without paying a fare difference?
Its the same fare, just at the “current” price - so whatever you get there should be possible. Of course, changing the outbound is split between those who can and those who can’t - the inbound ought to be fine.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Ignore the price. What you see should be available at the same price.
For the price to remain the same, you can officially only change the inbound (outbound must remain the same), or you must have taken at least the first flight from your booking. But some report they were able to change the outbound without repricing anyway.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
So I wanted to do this:
Worked perfectly, I wanted to do Virgin once anyway and with about 5 hours in Clubhouse (there is earlier AMS-LHR with I availability too), lie flat from Hawaii and desired New York for my girlfriend again with maximising possible stops creating one evening in Rome where drink with friends would be for sure, I was called from Delta after texting on Facebook. They aren't able to get me on this Virgin free of charge as it would rise the price up even there is "I" available, so anyway. After minutes on phone when I was not let to tell agent correct and exact flight numbers where I see "I" he told me the only way to get to HNL in September on my date +-2 days is to go BUD-AMS-LAX-HNL, back HNL-LAX-JFK and JFK-FCO-BUD without being able to get it via FRA and FCO. Fair enough....I only said something hmm is there any way to get Suites as we have it on our booking? So he came back with JFK-DTW-AMS-BUD and A350...I could not get backtracking in Matrix so was quite pleased to get it rather than 763 to Europe. After 45 minutes on the phone I got it with KLM to LAX on day flight and triple seven...........and with A350 via DTW back.

Not to mention he asked me three times "Sir, you paid just a little, what do you want, it is business class anyway."....

I am glad I postponed it from July to September but I am not leaving with feeling I make the most out of it
Wow, your return flights via FRA look awesome. Thanks for posting, I might try the same.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
I booked BUD-CDG-ATL//ATL-LAX//LAX-ATL//ATL-AMS//AMS-LIS//LIS-CDG-BUD. Since I backtrack through ATL, I'm pretty sure my fare is BUD-LAX. My outbound is in the beginning of June, with the rest of the flights in 2021. I've tried changing the dates of the outbound on DL.com and through the app, but I don't seem to be one of the lucky ones as everything causes a re-price at higher fares. Given the persistence of the coronavirus situation, I'd like to push my outbound back a few months. Am I SOL as far as outbound changes go until there is a cancellation by either AF/DL, or is there something else I should be trying?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 747jetter
So I wanted to do this:

Maybe take this approach of trying to wring Delta for every last penny, if you don’t have status or an account with a lot of sky miles.

But be aware that agents can and do report people who seem ‘abusive’ for audit. The agent pushed back on you three times for paying nothing, basically...

I certainly wouldn’t send Delta any screenshots from ITA.

I had trouble with DL on the full J NBO fare; and that’s with status. A phone supervisor accused me of ticketing fraud, when I tried to change my last segment (a domestic segment) to another flight in the same class of service. That’s after I had flown all else as originally ticketed.

You aren’t even following the fare rules - a change before any flights flown should trigger a reprice. They are accommodating you by not charging you for the reprice, and you still want more?

Again - I am all for maximizing fare rules - and I am not standing by any airline taking action against any passenger - this is just a PSA
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by altalk08
Wow, your return flights via FRA look awesome. Thanks for posting, I might try the same.
You can go via MUC, ZRH, BRU, MAD, LHR too!! also what I tried but these are 763, I thought A330 is better and if not, I haven't done it unlike many flights on 763 (+ 2 more on this trip). For me it looked like you can have 2 stopovers in Europe, of course Sky Team (Tarom and Air Europa did not work haha). I could also do JFK-FRA-PRG-BUD etc etc but as Czech citizen I decline to support Smart Wings group aka Czech Airlines.

I am not happy with my selection too much tho, can anybody give me any advanced codes that works in October and later?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You aren’t even following the fare rules - a change before any flights flown should trigger a reprice.
No, changes to the inbound will not trigger a reprice, as long as the outbound remains the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.