Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by altalk08
Chaos at KLM Had to call three times today:

1) to change the flight. Agent: "sure, no problem". I did only receive one out of two etickets for two passengers though (ticket no. had changed for the passenger in question). So I had to...
2) call again. This time the agent confirmed that everything was okay. Second eticket would arrive in my mailbox in 15 minutes. Nothing, so I had to...
3) call a third time. This time the agend was confused and said her colleague made a mistake and that such a change costs 4.000 Euros and this is why only one eticket was re-issued (???!!). So I had to undo all the changes made.
What changes were you trying to make?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:40 am

Postponing flights / changing dates.

edit: appears to be similar to what fridgy mentioned further above.

Last edited by altalk08; Mar 30, 2020 at 3:54 am
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:09 am

Postponing flights / changing dates.

edit: appears to be similar to what fridgy mentioned further above.
Outbound, inbound or both?

For the one itinerary I can modify online I can only get a sensible change cost from modifying the inbound [and even then only the TATL portion, not the detached final leg to BUD]. Puzzled because my reading of the fare rules plus the fact that others have reported changing the first flight suggests that any leg ought to be changable if the appropriate fare class is available - hence trying to work out what others have/haven't been able to do.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:13 am

The return segment only, from SFO to BUD (via CDG). Fare class is available and KLM states in its fare rules (KLM.com) that flights can be changed prior and after departure.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by fridgy
Just got a call from Delta as well as I changed my itinerary 4 days ago and It did not go through... They asked for 3500 USD per person for the change... Im speechless (the summary was 250 usd per person lol)
So I told them to reset the itinerary into the original one and Im stuck with my BUD LAX RT for now.. (I didnt catch the HNL fare)
What change did you make? I also booked BUD-LAX RT via delta.com and want to change the first leg from 5/31 to 9/30. Online it looks good (even get a small refund in credit), but I definitely don't want to try to change it if they'll ask for an additional 3500 USD for the change.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:17 am

1) to change the flight. Agent: "sure, no problem". I did only receive one out of two etickets for two passengers though (ticket no. had changed for the passenger in question). So I had to...
2) call again. This time the agent confirmed that everything was okay. Second eticket would arrive in my mailbox in 15 minutes. Nothing, so I had to...
3) call a third time. This time the agend was confused and said her colleague made a mistake and that such a change costs 4.000 Euros and this is why only one eticket was re-issued (???!!). So I had to undo all the changes made.
So the 3rd agent undid all the previously made changes and kept the booking intact the way it was before any changes were made? and they didn't charge you anything right?

if so, then surely these tickets are valid, ie ok to fly?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:22 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
I wanted to extend my trip a bit and tried changing the first flight to a few days earlier. Everything worked, I was even supposed to get a refund of 5k HUF per passenger but then the payment confirmation page gave me an error and the option to change flights become unavailable afterwards. Any idea why?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by hkgg
So the 3rd agent undid all the previously made changes and kept the booking intact the way it was before any changes were made? and they didn't charge you anything right?

if so, then surely these tickets are valid, ie ok to fly?
Yes, correct.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by B0gdan
I wanted to extend my trip a bit and tried changing the first flight to a few days earlier. Everything worked, I was even supposed to get a refund of 5k HUF per passenger but then the payment confirmation page gave me an error and the option to change flights become unavailable afterwards. Any idea why?
Someone mentioned in this thread that because of restrictions in the GDS, only one change can be made online. Additional changes require a manual intervention from an agent. That would explain why the option is no longer available.
I guess you'll have to contact them.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:25 am

The return segment only, from SFO to BUD (via CDG). Fare class is available and KLM states in its fare rules (KLM.com) that flights can be changed prior and after departure.
The agent said that...? If so then what basis did they give for the additional charge?!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by etiene
The agent said that...? If so then what basis did they give for the additional charge?!
Agent said what? The agent said that what her colleague did ("yeah, no problem", changing free of charge, only one eticket received) was a mistake and they had to charge me 4.xxx Euros. So I had them undo the change.

The fare rules are visible online in my KLM/AF account. See attachement.

edit: the "basis" for her statement was apparently a talk to your supervisor, I was on hold for about a minute. I did not press her for a change free of charge on that call.

Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:46 am

Agent said what? The agent said that what her colleague did ("yeah, no problem", changing free of charge, only one eticket received) was a mistake and they had to charge me 4.xxx Euros. So I had them undo the change.

The fare rules are visible online in my KLM/AF account. See attachement.
[SNIP]
That just indicates no change fees, I think - the trick of course is to find when things can be changed without being repriced. So I was wondering if the agent had [essentially] said "no repricing will occur here".

Have discovered that I can swap my open jaw around too, in addition to changing the date of the start of the return - but I can't change the date of the outbound TATL at all nor the final leg to BUD [as mentioned that's a few weeks later - the start from BUD is a few weeks before the TATL portion too]. I really don't have a solid picture of what's going on, TBH.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:35 am

Not sure how to phrase this... but I just received the etickets for the CHANGED itinerary O_O
However and again, for one out of two passengers only. This probably won't end well

edit: called again to request the eticket for the second passenger, got it (updated itinerary) and I'm going to hide now until departure

Last edited by altalk08; Mar 30, 2020 at 5:46 am
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:56 am

I have my tickets for September booked both on delta.com and airfrance.com. Today I logged in and realized the HNL-LAX leg is canceled with no option given and no notification. So my itinerary now consists of BUD-AMS-YVR-HNL and LAX-CDG-BUD. Sounds weird, right? The flight HNL-LAX is still bookable online so it might be some kind of glitch. I will wait for several days and then try to solve it. Who do you think is better to contact? AF or DL service center? Does anyone of you have a similar problem? And do you think guys I will be able to make a week layover in YVR when the change occurred?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
Originally Posted by aquanine
What change did you make? I also booked BUD-LAX RT via delta.com and want to change the first leg from 5/31 to 9/30. Online it looks good (even get a small refund in credit), but I definitely don't want to try to change it if they'll ask for an additional 3500 USD for the change.
I changed BUD - LAX to BUD LAX HNL SLC BUD.. they just cancelled the changes and I have the original flights I have booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.