Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Well, I bought BUD-AMS-SEA-HNL-LAX-CDG-BUD, later after purchase changed the return to HNL-MSP-JFK, two days stop and JFK-AMS-BUD. The payment for change (3800HUF) did not go through, however new flights are shown in DL, KL and AF MMB. However per Delta FB messenger when I asked for reservation to be sent on my email, I only got the original bought one. Phhhhh
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by etiene
Is there a specific instance you recall of cancellation six weeks after? I thought that they were generally quicker than that - though obviously these are not normal times.
I think in the past ET waited until people got to the airport and then downgraded them.
I don't recall how long this was between booking and flying. The first load of people were fine and then all the people afterwards got downgraded.
It may have been six weeks or more in some cases.
Another time AZ definitely waited many weeks before cancelling. It then took people several months to get their refunds. This really damaged AZ's reputation as it looked like they didn't care at all about the customer and were just trying to generate cashflow.

In terms of good deals - BA, AZ, QF, EK, AF, & ET are generally less likely to honour deals versus say QR, AA, AY, AV, LO, KL, CX, or IB. There are some exceptions in the airlines who I don't have much confidence in, but in general, they are more likely to rebuff you.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:34 pm

The AZ one is basically my core memory of this game. The deal went on for a whopping 12 days, and that thread had almost 100 pages before they shut it down. It then took them about another 20 days to start cancelling tickets, and the refund took a solid 10 months to arrive back at my cc, some claimed they never got it. The joke of "cash injection" was a serious explanation among FT'ers.
For this fare, I personally would say it is a bit safer than most others, because as I interacted with a few agents, they have absolutely no idea how much HUF is worth. 265000HUF to them sounds like exactly what a intercontinental J tix would cost. As a result, I think the level of reporting will be way less than normal, and we all know airlines can take any cash they can hold right now. Also DL consciously pulled Hawaii from the inventory but left others intact for another 20 hours is definitely something. But I do think they forgot STT, STX and SJU, and FT'ers' ingenuity as well as determination to get the best cpm.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Beyounged, when you were trying to change on DL.com, the new fare would not show "HUF 0" -- it would show the same fare as your paid. For me, I found an outbound 8 days earlier that did work (BUD-STT) and it showed HUF187,100, which is what I paid. The other days showed HUF1,150,000 etc. Just confirming that Delta doesn't show HUF 0 for anything.
However, when looking at a KLM booking I have, their website does show "US$0" when making changes. So it depends which airline's website you're on for what to look for.
It seems like that is the case. I have not changed my itinerary yet but when you search for new flights and actually click on them you are directed to the "Review and pay" page where the original ticket price is subtracted from the new price. It then shows the difference which you have to pay.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by beyounged
The AZ one is basically my core memory of this game. The deal went on for a whopping 12 days, and that thread had almost 100 pages before they shut it down. It then took them about another 20 days to start cancelling tickets, and the refund took a solid 10 months to arrive back at my cc, some claimed they never got it. The joke of "cash injection" was a serious explanation among FT'ers.
For this fare, I personally would say it is a bit safer than most others, because as I interacted with a few agents, they have absolutely no idea how much HUF is worth. 265000HUF to them sounds like exactly what a intercontinental J tix would cost. As a result, I think the level of reporting will be way less than normal, and we all know airlines can take any cash they can hold right now. Also DL consciously pulled Hawaii from the inventory but left others intact for another 20 hours is definitely something. But I do think they forgot STT, STX and SJU, and FT'ers' ingenuity as well as determination to get the best cpm.
Do agents really only see HUF? Whenever I log into Delta or KLM MyTrip I see the price in Euro.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by DRSpax
It seems like that is the case. I have not changed my itinerary yet but when you search for new flights and actually click on them you are directed to the "Review and pay" page where the original ticket price is subtracted from the new price. It then shows the difference which you have to pay.
Oh really!? I am facepalming so hard right now. Should not have cancelled and just clicked through to see what would happen. Well, at least I did not lose any money, just a bit of dignity from DL's not-so-intuitive IT!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:34 pm

Hey did you went in to quarantine without popcorn or whats going on? 😎
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
To all others who never fly SkyTeam (like me), especially Europeans, why don’t you just credit the flights to VS?
They have cheap longhaul premium awards on ANA and they also have cheap shorthaul awards on KL/AF now (similar to BA).
With Delta, you only hear people complaining that they can never use their miles. And if you don’t live in the US, what is Delta status good for? Sure, you would get some status benefits flying KL/AF, but I thought that’s what you don’t do?
To me, VS is the only program that would make sense.
Interesting... If I correctly understood the rules it would be 24k miles for me in VS, however I still have 3k miles left in Delta account so kind of leaning towards Skymiles. While most of the travel is in Europe probably it is better to just forget about Skymiles account anyway

Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Forget about the Skypesos.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/redee...ir-france-klm/
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
I basically had no choice. FI is not allowing refunds/credits on my one way to KEF and charging me nearly 1.2k for rebooking till later, so I was dead set on going to Europe tomorrow until a few hours ago today that news broke out about even more travel bans. The outbound from BUD was supposed to be my return for this one way. I either lose my FI J tix or I get this fully refundable fare as a safety precaution, and it is a no-brainer. Worst case scenario, I just cancel this tix. But I am very bitter that FI is this stubborn about refund or even credit as they have struck a deal to give refunds to folks who attend a music festival but not the public.
FI is a small airline but i have a tooth on them for being unprofessional. They consistently were telling me (most agents except some) that my international ticket is only valid for one year since the ticketing date while their own terms and conditions clearly comply with IATA rules saying the ticket is valid for 1 year (or other period subject to MAX stay and other restrictions) from the date of first segment flown (if used). They also told this to Expedia 2 times that completely rules out a possitibility to change my ticket via Expedia (we know OTAs are very good with changes hahaha). Such unprofessional .......s they are...

Originally Posted by altalk08
Interesting. So DL became aware of the fare and, well, nothing happened. Hm.
Well, who did fix the fares? Of course it can be a shared services center somewhere who made a mistake and decided not to tell DL/ JV about this... Very unlikely though. I am sure they all know. Cancel or not is another story.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Oh really!? I am facepalming so hard right now. Should not have cancelled and just clicked through to see what would happen. Well, at least I did not lose any money, just a bit of dignity from DL's not-so-intuitive IT!
IIRC there was a pop up the first time I went in to the change flow saying that [app], but now it just says "available eCredit" at the bottom without the explicit notification of how it works. The KLM version looks better in that regard [from the screenshots above - none of my itineraries offer the change flow there].
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:16 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Joining in on this thread -- managed to snag two, one for Christmas holidays & one for an October vacation. Hoping the global situation dies down by then.

After having earned Flying Blue status on only SV flights last year ... I am looking forward to my first SkyTeam premium fares with alcohol and a flat-ish bed!

Many thanks to the OP for posting.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
I rember the AZ Saga well, got my money back on the first one ( the ex-Florence tickets ) via Chargeback. But...the next one, the ex-Barcelona C tickets to the US were all honoured. I flew two of them without any problems.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I liked the AZ DUS-FLR tickets. I got a refund from Expedia 3-4 days later and they threw in a 100 EUR voucher for my troubles.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:32 pm

I bought a couple of these, one that was supposed to depart this week (I'm an American who was traveling abroad and booked this flight as my repatriation flight home when my other planned flight got cancelled) and then another for later in the year.

The one for this week obviously got cancelled given the travel restrictions but with that flight cancellation, I can reschedule this for any time the rest of the year without any fee repricing. On my other booking for later in the year (which has yet to be cancelled given it's far away from now), when I try and change the schedule, fare difference fees apply (500,000 HUF + repricing). Just wanted to add this data point in case anyone was curious. I booked thru KLM.

I did also submit a cancellation request a week ago for a third one I had booked but that trip still shows up in My Trips section with refunds yet to be delivered. Given high call demands + support employees being very busy, I figure it'll take some time for that refund request to go through but just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck getting refunds if they decided to cancel after booking this itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.