Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Premium Fare Gone]: EK:KUL-DXB in First Class RT for $1307

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Premium Fare Gone]: EK:KUL-DXB in First Class RT for $1307

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by shintz
How does calling Emirates and asking for a confirmation number jeopardizing the deal?
Any time you call with one of these spacial fares you run the risk of the agent notifying a supervisor, and the supervisor notifying the fare department. Agents deal with fares everyday and if they see something that looks out of place they can pass on that information.

With all of these fares it is never worth the risk to call the airline. When they access your booking the agent will see everything, including the fare. It doesn't hurt to wait a few days.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by nzthunderboy
Do you know if its the same story for BA. No accrual ? Thanks
This won’t earn any miles/TPs on BAEC.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:14 pm

I've asked before, but it is buried deep in the thread, can anyone with GDS access pull the fare rules, please? Fare Basis is ASYRAF
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:16 pm

So what FFP, apart from MH, would earn anything with these fares?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Thanks, noted.

Although I do think reasonable people can have a difference of opinion here. This seems like extremely small risk -- usually when I call an airline, the agents can barely perform the most basic function like change a seat assignment. The likelihood of the agent (who probably has a queue of many calls) taking the time to look through the res and proactively noticing something and then taking action seems infinitesimally small. It's not like I called and asked a question about the fare, the booking class, where I would be seated, or anything else that might trigger suspicion. I guess I'm just smarting a bit from someone calling me selfish for having called. I certainly wouldn't have done so if I thought it would jeopardize the deal for others.

BTW, I think the biggest risk to the deal is all the people booking it. The airline is far more likely to have automated systems that detect unusual booking patters -- like a ton of people all of a sudden booking a specific flight in a specific fare basis -- than a human in a call center catching based on someone simply asking for a conf number, which probably happens many, many times a day for totally innocuous reasons.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kyle47
Still not dead, seems not many people opt in this one compared to the CX&AZ error fares previously.
For folks not based in SE Asia, more positioning flights to get there, and even if you are connecting error fares together, you would still have to find yourself home. There is also the $ issue, no matter how cheap each fare might be; as well as having to go back to work at some point for most people
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Repooc17
For folks not based in SE Asia, more positioning flights to get there, and even if you are connecting error fares together, you would still have to find yourself home. There is also the $ issue, no matter how cheap each fare might be; as well as having to go back to work at some point for most people
Indeed ... but if you are sitting in KL as I am, it is very tempting. Only downside (apart from it being cancelled!) is the FF accrual situation.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Thanks, noted.

Although I do think reasonable people can have a difference of opinion here. This seems like extremely small risk -- usually when I call an airline, the agents can barely perform the most basic function like change a seat assignment. The likelihood of the agent (who probably has a queue of many calls) taking the time to look through the res and proactively noticing something and then taking action seems infinitesimally small. It's not like I called and asked a question about the fare, the booking class, where I would be seated, or anything else that might trigger suspicion. I guess I'm just smarting a bit from someone calling me selfish for having called. I certainly wouldn't have done so if I thought it would jeopardize the deal for others.

BTW, I think the biggest risk to the deal is all the people booking it. The airline is far more likely to have automated systems that detect unusual booking patters -- like a ton of people all of a sudden booking a specific flight in a specific fare basis -- than a human in a call center catching based on someone simply asking for a conf number, which probably happens many, many times a day for totally innocuous reasons.
People used similar phrases about the idea of calling fares which were simply very well priced "Error Fares" on internet forums.

"Airlines don't pay any attention to internet forums"
"There's no way that's enforceable"
"The risk of it is infinitely small"
And other associated statements claiming it's not an issue.

That was until an airline actually used the fact people had drawn attention to it and referred to it in that way as leverage and named it as one of the reasons they cancelled the tickets. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27610841-post2414.html

The longer things go without having attention drawn to them, no matter how irrelevant you think that attention is, the better for everyone's collective outcome. Patience is key with these great sale fares - I've had agents from airlines comment how great the fare was I paid when phoning for various things on tickets that weren't anywhere near as good as this one - you think they won't notice and flag it up the chain if the fare is amazingly good? Please, don't call the airline.
margarita girl and ft543 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QR OWS
Originally Posted by maxvor
I've asked before, but it is buried deep in the thread, can anyone with GDS access pull the fare rules, please? Fare Basis is ASYRAF
CheapOair allows you to view the fare rules (though not the fare basis) which clearly states it is an Economy fare despite being presented by the OTA as First Class.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks, noted.

We've consistently seen that airlines don't in fact have automated systems in place to detect these things... Swiss Air, United, Hong Kong Airlines, Cathay... these seem to get picked up when fares appear on various sites, not by automated systems.

In this case you might turn out to be right. But the standard request for all these things is to not risk it. To leave it alone if yuor enquiry is not an emergency.

Understand you may be smarting... but don't take it personally Every one of these threads is the same.
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hkgg
So what FFP, apart from MH, would earn anything with these fares?
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I believe a large majority of FT readers are US based, so its hard to spontaneously book a fare like this without already having some need for it.

The CX and AZ fares had destinations available to US cities which allowed people like myself to book and use miles/points or one ways to fill in the rest, or nest with a RT fare originating in the US.

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Jan 5, 2019 at 5:19 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: CX DM
How does calling an airline and just asking for a confirmation number going to make this deal go away? I never mentioned that this was a great deal, or that I wasn't sure if it would put me in business or first, or anything else other than ask for a confirmation number so I could choose seats on the website. The rep then said she could just give me seats, so I said sure, go ahead.
There is always a chance for the agent to pick up any piece of information showing on your ticket. You might think it is super rare or just assume they don’t care and won’t given look at it, but you will never know whether the agent you were talking to actually pick up these items or not and of course it also depends how senior that agent is. We are not trying to argue the top cases how airline pick up these so called error fare. We are trying to eliminate the chances they can potentially find out and allow enough time for everyone to catch the deal. It is definitely selfish (even though you don’t want to admit) to do anything with any potential “small risk” (you identified as) to ruin this deal after you have got yourself secured.
ft543 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:16 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
If one doesn't mind the first and last segments in Y, you can get the first class segments for a total of under USD1000:

Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: NZ
The cheapest I have seen is KNO/KUL/DXB/KUL/LGK at $909 12-14 January via Orbitz. The connecting sectors are in Y but you may be able to get them in J
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:49 pm

Can anyone get me a link for second week of july, one way from kul to dxb, it seems that i can only find january.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.