FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Premium Fare Gone]: EK:KUL-DXB in First Class RT for $1307
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:46 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by shintz
Thanks, noted.

Although I do think reasonable people can have a difference of opinion here. This seems like extremely small risk -- usually when I call an airline, the agents can barely perform the most basic function like change a seat assignment. The likelihood of the agent (who probably has a queue of many calls) taking the time to look through the res and proactively noticing something and then taking action seems infinitesimally small. It's not like I called and asked a question about the fare, the booking class, where I would be seated, or anything else that might trigger suspicion. I guess I'm just smarting a bit from someone calling me selfish for having called. I certainly wouldn't have done so if I thought it would jeopardize the deal for others.

BTW, I think the biggest risk to the deal is all the people booking it. The airline is far more likely to have automated systems that detect unusual booking patters -- like a ton of people all of a sudden booking a specific flight in a specific fare basis -- than a human in a call center catching based on someone simply asking for a conf number, which probably happens many, many times a day for totally innocuous reasons.
We've consistently seen that airlines don't in fact have automated systems in place to detect these things... Swiss Air, United, Hong Kong Airlines, Cathay... these seem to get picked up when fares appear on various sites, not by automated systems.

In this case you might turn out to be right. But the standard request for all these things is to not risk it. To leave it alone if yuor enquiry is not an emergency.

Understand you may be smarting... but don't take it personally Every one of these threads is the same.