Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?
For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided. Otherwise, you may have to take advantage of TWOV (visa on arrival). Its information can be found: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/708095-china-24-72-144-hour-transit-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread.html

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
BKK is your best bet

Originally Posted by Euflyer
Departure: Ewr/NYC
need as much as possible 19K+
I'm currently a 1k
would love a premium fare deal, for economy willing to pay upto $600 premium $1200 business $2000
Available to travel from aug 25 till Sep 16. Should not require a Saturday stay, would love to stay only 1 day or night. Prefer travel that starts Sunday morning.
Metal: prefer UA but can mix Code shares
Don't have a Chinese Visa yet
First time trying a Milage run
Thank you
$531.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...83*2.USD.53083
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have, but the fares I was getting were almost $3k....crazy spend. Trying to minimize costs as much as possible, but the fares that I'm getting under $1k were giving me 50% mileage accrual which doesn't help either....any suggestions?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA
Hey all, I wanted to post how I just met my 1k challenge for $1,200 in case it helps anyone else. I found that premium economy fares to HKG were quite reasonable on many dates leaving from RDU (other airports too). I routed outbound in normal eco from RDU - SFO (extra miles) then SFO - HKG normal eco. I originally could only stay 1 night for the low fare, but when I booked I called United and they moved me to the next day no problem (so I had two nights). The return I booked in Premium Plus (50% bonus, same as business somehow) HKG - EWR - RDU. This netted me a little over 22,400 PQM and got me over the 35,000 mark by 300 miles!. If I had not routed through SFO I would not have met the requirement. Price for 1-way eco 1-way premium plus was $1,200, and you could have done the whole trip premium plus for $1,459 and netted close to 27,000 PQM's off a fairly easy trip with some time to see HKG. Normal eco on the whole route was $919, so I only spent an extra $280 to net an extra 50% PQM on my return.

I haven't checked if these fares are still this cheap, but I think with everything going in HKG right now prices are down. I will say there are not many issues once you are in HKG. The protests aren't really in the tourist areas and not hard to avoid (also usually not on weekdays). On a tour I booked I did walk through where there was a protest the night before and you could still smell the tear gas, so that was interesting I guess. There are also great hotel options in Central for reasonable rates (look up Butterfly on Wellington, or other similar properties). And public transport is superbly efficient.

I just finished this trip Yesterday, so I have a check mark showing I finished my PQM requirement but still waiting for it to update and specifically state I completed the challenge. Hopefully this might help someone. I think looking up all the airports United flies premium plus to and plugging them into google flights is a good way to maybe find a low fare to somewhere and get many more PQM's than in base eco. It's not the cheapest run ever, but very convenient and gets the job done.
mnfilmer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Euflyer
Departure: Ewr/NYC
need as much as possible 19K+
I'm currently a 1k
would love a premium fare deal, for economy willing to pay upto $600 premium $1200 business $2000
Available to travel from aug 25 till Sep 16. Should not require a Saturday stay, would love to stay only 1 day or night. Prefer travel that starts Sunday morning.
Metal: prefer UA but can mix Code shares
Don't have a Chinese Visa yet
First time trying a Milage run
Thank you
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...3*2.USD.143393

EWR-HKG Premium Plus Sept. 6 - 8
$1,434 in all PP. If you go to United.com and select one way in normal eco it should be closer to $1,150 or so. This is over your stated spend for PP but you get the same bonus in PP as business, so I would do it on such an easy route. Many other options open on the same route.

Last edited by Jkrun03; Aug 9, 2019 at 10:06 am
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:29 am

25,000 PQM to hit 1K

I hit 1K the past couple years, but my work schedule has had me in the office more than usual this year. I should hit $15,000 PQD but looks like I will still barely hit Platinum. I am hoping to remain 1K, if possible. Has anyone seen any deals out there? Bonus points for a fun vacation spot where I can use my global upgrades!!

Departure Airport: IAH
Miles Needed: 25,000
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Cheapest is best. Budget preferred is less than $1000, but if needed for global upgrade usage then to $1500.
Available Travel Dates: Now until EOY just prefer no more than 3 vacation days, so most likely I will need to incorporate the weekend. (I have done a less than 24 hr turn to get miles once before though.)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: As long as PQM total is for United it can be a *A
Route(s) You've Already Searched: IAH to MNL
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Honestly for star alliance, it looks like right now the flights to HKG are the best bet for a mileage run since they're so cheap. Especially if departing from the west coast
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

Departure Airport: SEA/SFO (need to be in D.C. by 8/20, so return to WAS/NYC preferred)
Miles Needed: ~12000
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): budgeting ~$800; required spend met
Available Travel Dates: 8/16 - 8/19
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares ok
Route(s) You've Already Searched: SEA/SFO to HKG/SIN/BKK/TPE
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Departure Airport: DCA/IAD
Miles Needed:14,905
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): $500ish
Available Travel Dates: Can travel basically anytime. Prefer a mini-vacation or two rather than a straight turn around. Have been searching last weekend in October and Christmas/New Years mostly.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:Prefer UA, but doesn't matter for status.
Route(s) You've Already Searched: IAD-KIX, IAD-SGN, IAD-HKG, IAD-CDG (would do it 2x), IAD-AMS (would do it 2x)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
PVG or PEK from PHL

There is a lot of options to PVG or PEK if you get a Chinese visa. PHL-PVG, $367 on Air Canada or PHL-PEK for $400 on UA.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...83*2.USD.36683
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond/ Altitude SE100K/ SPG Platinum/ Marriott Platinum
Need 10K Miles to Maintain AC 100K SE

This is my first time needing to do a mileage run. Looking for 10,000 Star Alliance miles to maintain 100K SE on Air Canada. Will have the required AQD on AC so just need the miles on SA to maintain.

Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed: 10,000
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Budget ~$1200
Available Travel Dates: All Sept, last 2 wks of Oct and Nov
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshare ok
Route(s) You've Already Searched: None really as I wasn't sure where to start
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: marriott platinum, AS Gold
Need 20K for Asiana airline.
Departure Airport: Singapore/KUL/BKK/CGK/MEL/SYD
Miles Needed: 20,000
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Budget ~$1200
Available Travel Dates: All year end
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: code share for Star alliance only
Route(s) You've Already Searched: Asiana from SYD to ICN to CDG/FCO, dont want to reach US.
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? Yes.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
UA:CAD$1178 YYZ-ANC in First (P-fare 150%) 10500AQM

Originally Posted by dcmic
This is my first time needing to do a mileage run. Looking for 10,000 Star Alliance miles to maintain 100K SE on Air Canada. Will have the required AQD on AC so just need the miles on SA to maintain.

Departure Airport: YYZ
Miles Needed: 10,000
Available Travel Dates: All Sept, last 2 wks of Oct and Nov
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshare ok
Route(s) You've Already Searched: None really as I wasn't sure where to start
A lot of cheap fares earn only 50%, so I was thinking the other way...

UA:CAD$1178 YYZ-ANC in First (P-fare 150%) 10500AQM
Mon 23 Sep
UA211 YYZ-ORD 1116-1203 B73G
UA1280 ORD-ANC 1535-1921 B738
UA1104 ANC-DEN 2344-0650(+1day) B738
Tue 24 Sep
UA554 DEN-YYZ 0955-1513 A320

Link: https://flights.app.goo.gl/L8ZxM

I also see YYZ-SIN for <$1000 CAD on multiple dates, but at L-fare (50% earning) that would be 6x 3x more flying for only $250 savings (in CAD). Ugh. Maybe someone else can find something cheaper that makes it worth sitting in back?

And please verify earnings, as I'm not familiar with AC program, and had to look up earnings on the website.

Good luck!
Kmxu and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by wh6cto; Aug 22, 2019 at 8:07 pm Reason: 1.5/0.5=3 times more flying
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond/ Altitude SE100K/ SPG Platinum/ Marriott Platinum
This sounds like a great flight. Since I am arriving at ANC and then leaving 4 hours later would I need to exit the area and come back in through check in and security or is there a way to get my boarding pass on that side?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Turn in Anchorage

Originally Posted by dcmic
This sounds like a great flight. Since I am arriving at ANC and then leaving 4 hours later would I need to exit the area and come back in through check in and security or is there a way to get my boarding pass on that side?
It's been years since I have been to ANC, but it looks like UA uses gate B3, and appears you end up airside with no separation between arriving and departing passengers (as is typical of US domestic terminals). Perhaps someone who has been there can confirm?

In any case, I have typically received all four boarding passes at check-in under similar circumstances. If for some reason this doesn't happen, you should be able to get the rest of your boarding passes at ORD, either using the kiosk or at one of the many customer service desks.

And being an international itinerary, you should have access the United Club in ORD/DEN. There isn't one in ANC, though.

Happy travels!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: hyatt diamond,spg gold,merriot gold
Need PQM 35K UA in September

Departure Airport: YEG
Miles Needed: 35K PQM United Air
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): $1000
Available Travel Dates: 8/28-September ( hope 3-4days)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Staralliance

Route(s) You've Already Searched: YEG-SFO-HKG/SIN
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? NO but Korean passport can stay 3days I think

Last edited by hariyaa; Aug 24, 2019 at 9:06 pm Reason: change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.