Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?
For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided. Otherwise, you may have to take advantage of TWOV (visa on arrival). Its information can be found: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/708095-china-24-72-144-hour-transit-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread.html

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:14 pm

UA MR deals out of ORD for < 3cpm

any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: United, AA, Delta, Hilton, IHG
Red face need help finding ~9,800 miles ASAP for UA

Departure Airport: SDF, ORD or IAH preferred but can get to any US departure city for low fare
Miles Needed: 9,800
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): max $700
Available Travel Dates: anytime between July 6 and Sep 13, for a few days or up to one week.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA operated for lifetime miles
Route(s) You've Already Searched: ORD-GUM-HGK...
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No, but have Aussie visa

open to destinations/connections in US, Europe, HGK, BKK, SIN, TPE, AUstralia, Micronesia and Japan, including a short stay in any one location.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 12KkmCommuter; Jul 1, 2019 at 11:02 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by stinkyhelmet
any suggestions would be appreciated
“UA MR deals out of ORD for < 3cpm”
for $570 & 16,830 miles = 3.4 com >>> ord-gum-tyo-pek-ord. I tried dates 9/26, 28, 29, & return from pek on Oct 1.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Aglass2
I plan on taking a trip for nye. The return flight will be in 2020. If I purchase the round trip tickets in 2019 will both fights be logged toward my 2019 progress toward United premier silver? Or do they only apply toward your purges after the flight is completed?
Actual miles flown/completed in each calendar year are credited for that year. Im not sure how a flight in progress at midnight on December 31st counts though. If traveling at midnight, contact the airlines with that question.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 12KkmCommuter
Actual miles flown/completed in each calendar year are credited for that year. Im not sure how a flight in progress at midnight on December 31st counts though. If traveling at midnight, contact the airlines with that question.
The local departure time (on your reservation) is the determining factor. If the scheduled flight departure is before the clock strikes at 00:00, it will count as 2019 status accumulation.
12KkmCommuter likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:17 pm

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Ideas please?

Decided to tick off the last three Star Alliance members I never flew (SA, AV and CM) and I am challenging myself to do all three in one trip (almost certainly by means of multiple tickets) and here are some data points:
- While I could literally start from pretty much any airport (can position myself anywhere needed), my preference would still be to start somewhere in Europe or Asia or Africa
- The inbound should ideally include LIM-BOG-MUC/BCN/MAD (with or without an intra-Europe leg after that); I avoid LHR like the plague so BOG-LHR must be excluded; an inbound like this would tick off AV
- I would like to avoid having to get a South African visa (too complicated to my taste as it would mean having to visit a South African consulate in person), so I would ideally just do a transit in JNB or CPT or PLZ or DUR; hopefully I wont have to deal with a long layover
- given the above and CMs network being limited to the Americas, SA should probably have to be included in the first part of the itinerary, then CM, then AV
- the itinerary doesnt have to be limited to these three carriers only; if I cant switch from SA to CM (GRU apparently being the only option for that) and from CM to AV, I wont mind doing short hops on any other carrier in between
- I will do this in coach/economy; dont necessarily have a $$$ limit but I would obviously like to do it on the cheap(ish), if possible
- When? February 2020 (ideally) or April 2020 (less desirable)
First I looked at starting in HKG or PER on SA on my way to GRU but HKG and PER are quite expensive points to start. I then looked at starting on SA from MRU or SEZ or NBO or MPM or ADD or CAI; these could work, but there are probably better (cheaper) points where to start on SA?
I guess what I am trying to do is ask the collective wisdom here for better ideas than mine. Any pointers?
Thanks a million!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS & DL
UA Status Challenge Help

Hi, just was approved for a status challenge from Alaska to United Premier Platinum. I have until September 30th to complete the challenge. Any help would be much appreciated!

Departure Airport: SEA - reposition flights are OK too
Miles Needed: 18,000 PQM
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Least amount possible
Available Travel Dates: Any Friday - Sunday July through August
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA flights only

Route(s) You've Already Searched: SEA-EWR-BOS and SEA-IAH-FLL
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:17 pm

SEA-SIN last minutes trip?

Originally Posted by wildeyofatime
Hi, just was approved for a status challenge from Alaska to United Premier Platinum. I have until September 30th to complete the challenge. Any help would be much appreciated!

Departure Airport: SEA - reposition flights are OK too
Miles Needed: 18,000 PQM
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Least amount possible
Available Travel Dates: Any Friday - Sunday July through August
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA flights only

Route(s) You've Already Searched: SEA-EWR-BOS and SEA-IAH-FLL
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=S...43*2.USD.86643

This trip will give you more than 18K PQM. You can keep looking on Wednesdays/Thursdays to see any last minute good fares to Singapore!
Good luck.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS & DL
Thx for the help!!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC Silver
Due to my permanent residence move to Germany, I'll change my flight patterns, mostly flying LH and EW to BCN and LHR on a weekly basis on Y (paid by my employer). To make the experience more bearable, I intend to get FT as fast as I can and potentially work my way towards Senator.

Departure Airport: CGN, DUS, FRA
Miles Needed: As Many As Possible but at least 35k for FT
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): around 1000€ / month until end of year
Available Travel Dates: Mostly weekends
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: OK

Route(s) You've Already Searched: LIS, IST, AYT...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:53 pm

Hi folks - I've been approved for a status match challenge for 1K due to my EP with AA. I have until 1 Oct to complete travel and have about 12,000 miles already booked, but I am looking to do a mileage run over labor day weekend and I'm hoping to get assistance from the savy veterans out here. Thanks for the help

Departure Airport: DCA, IAD, BWI
Miles Needed: 24,000
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Budget $1,600
Available Travel Dates: Weekends from now until 1 Oct, but best dates are evening of 29 Aug - 2 Sep (4 day labor day weekend)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Must be on United or United Express

Route(s) You've Already Searched: IAD-SFO-SIN, SIN-SFO-IAD (but only gives me 21,600 EQMs)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:11 pm

DC-HKG via GUM for $671 over Labor Day weekend

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
Hi folks - I've been approved for a status match challenge for 1K due to my EP with AA. I have until 1 Oct to complete travel and have about 12,000 miles already booked, but I am looking to do a mileage run over labor day weekend and I'm hoping to get assistance from the savy veterans out here. Thanks for the help

Departure Airport: DCA, IAD, BWI
Miles Needed: 24,000
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Budget $1,600
Available Travel Dates: Weekends from now until 1 Oct, but best dates are evening of 29 Aug - 2 Sep (4 day labor day weekend)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Must be on United or United Express

Route(s) You've Already Searched: IAD-SFO-SIN, SIN-SFO-IAD (but only gives me 21,600 EQMs)
$671 DC to Hong Kong
https://www.google.ca/flights?lite=0...13*2.USD.67013
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu

$671 DC to Hong Kong
Thanks for the link and route.....However, I need to fly out Thursday night and return by Monday night of that holiday weekend. I was looking at DCA-EWR-HKG; HKG-EWR-DCA and paying for Premium Plus (Premium Economy). The ticket will cost me $1800, but give me almost 25,000 EQM.... This is would be a pricey ticket though.....Thinking I might need to make 2 mileage runs over separate weekends. Any routes out there that would not require an overnight, can be done over the weekend and maybe give at least 12-15,000 EQMs per trip and cost no more than $900 per trip.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:34 pm

$721 same route

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
Thanks for the link and route.....However, I need to fly out Thursday night and return by Monday night of that holiday weekend. I was looking at DCA-EWR-HKG; HKG-EWR-DCA and paying for Premium Plus (Premium Economy). The ticket will cost me $1800, but give me almost 25,000 EQM.... This is would be a pricey ticket though.....Thinking I might need to make 2 mileage runs over separate weekends. Any routes out there that would not require an overnight, can be done over the weekend and maybe give at least 12-15,000 EQMs per trip and cost no more than $900 per trip.
It still requires one night in Hong Kong. You can find cheap guest-house type of accommodation for $30-40.
https://www.google.ca/flights?lite=0...13*2.USD.72013
wildeyofatime likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu

It still requires one night in Hong Kong. You can find cheap guest-house type of accommodation for $30-40.
Thanks again, but please note, I cannot have my flight on Thursday depart any earlier than 2PM Eastern. When I check for later flights to Guam, there are none, so the route you recommended will not work.....I do appreciate the effort very much though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.