Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think it's totally worth it. I think I read somewhere that subsequent visa applications will be easier to obtain.
As a USA citizen applying for the visa in the USA, you would apply for a ten year multiple entry visa. It's about $160 plus visa agency service fees, passport photo costs, and FedEx fees.

Originally Posted by LJMSP
New to Mileage Running and looking for some help.

Departure Airport: MSP
MQMs Needed: 7,900 (silver), 32,500 (gold)
Required Spend or Budget: I'd like to keep it under $1.5k (if possible)
Available Travel Dates: I'm pretty flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:
If you normally travel only 17,000 miles per year, is this a worthwhile use of time and money. To get 32,500 MQMs from MSP for under $1500, you're probably looking at three RTs to mainland China in coach.

MQD requirements?

Originally Posted by rt1337
Looking for the below to get Diamond under "Reclaim my Status". Have to go this weekend.

Departure Airport: CMH
MQMs Needed:
Required Spend or Budget: $1,011 or more
Available Travel Dates: This weekend Aug 24 depart, return Aug 25. Possibly could leave Friday night.
For about 18,000 MQMs in one weekend, look at PS fares to Asia (probably HND, maybe ICN or maybe a roundabout routing in coach).
LJMSP likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Thanks. Already have MQD covered (spent $7k so far, mainly last minute work travel).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Starting the Gold Medallion status challenge as of 8/21. So, have until 11/21 to complete this.

Departure Airport: MCI. Could position to MSP for a good deal.
Miles Needed: 12,500 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: Need 1,500 MQD. Based on the MQD/$ ratios I'm finding, I'm thinking I'm looking at $1,800-$2,000 for min. budget. Would like to keep it as minimal as possible beyond that.
Available Travel Dates: Weekends preferable, can tack on days at the beginning or end if needed.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares OK as long as I'm earning MQM/MQD.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jm0933
Starting the Gold Medallion status challenge as of 8/21. So, have until 11/21 to complete this.

Departure Airport: MCI. Could position to MSP for a good deal.
Miles Needed: 12,500 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: Need 1,500 MQD. Based on the MQD/$ ratios I'm finding, I'm thinking I'm looking at $1,800-$2,000 for min. budget. Would like to keep it as minimal as possible beyond that.
Available Travel Dates: Weekends preferable, can tack on days at the beginning or end if needed.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares OK as long as I'm earning MQM/MQD.
A consideration would be MCI-ATL-LHR on Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight. Earns 12,000 MQMs and $2400 MQD. Some tickets available for $1185 in November (e.g. Nov 8 - 10). Would require a day in London. Bookable on Virgin Atlantic.

You can pick up the remaining MQMs with quick trip to MSP, MEM, ORD, etc.
LJMSP likes this.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Aug 23, 2019 at 8:36 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
A consideration would be MCI-ATL-LHR on Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight. Earns 12,000 MQMs and $2400 MQD. Some tickets available for $1185 in November (e.g. Nov 8 - 10). Would require a day in London. Bookable on Virgin Atlantic.

Wow, that's fantastic. I didn't even consider booking through a partner airline. I'm so used to the United system where you don't earn PQD unless you're on a United ticket. This opens up a bunch of options I wasn't even considering. Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:29 am

Okay, need some help. Hopefully I'm missing something here.

I'm finding this rate but it's booking into O, which earns only 5% MQDs (not the 20% you reference). Similar story for other options I've looked at with AF, KLM, and a few others - everything around this price point books into some kind of discount economy class that only earns 5%.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:07 pm

I'm finding this rate but it's booking into O, which earns only 5% MQDs (not the 20% you reference). Similar story for other options I've looked at with AF, KLM, and a few others - everything around this price point books into some kind of discount economy class that only earns 5%.
Economy Delight (V)class earning as shown on the Delta Earnings page for Virgin Atlantic :

When booking on the Virgin Atlantic website click on Economy and then select Economy Delight.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Economy Delight (V)class earning as shown on the Delta Earnings page for Virgin Atlantic :
When booking on the Virgin Atlantic website click on Economy and then select Economy Delight.
Here's what I see when I make these selections, and click on "Fare breakdown":

MCI > ATL = Fare code OLGY46C3
ATL > LHR = Fare code OLGY46C3
LHR > ATL = Fare code OLGY46C3
ATL > MCI = Fare code OLGY46C3
I'm confused too - doesn't this mean this is an "O" fare? What are we missing?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Here's what I see when I make these selections, and click on "Fare breakdown":

I'm confused too - doesn't this mean this is an "O" fare? What are we missing?
This is the same thing I'm seeing, and my understanding is that this is an "O" fare so will earn 5%. Also, Economy Delight does not fall into the category of "premium economy" according to the chart, it is grouped with regular economy. To get in the 20% range you have to book true premium economy, which is looking more like $2200 RT (in K):

Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are getting confused. Fare basis code is not the same as fare booking class. The second to last letter is a 'C' which indicates it is an Economy Delight fare and all Economy Delight fares book into 'V' booking class. Mileage is awarded based on the booking class, not the fare basis code. The fact that the first letter of the fare basis code is an 'O' is not relevant.
mnbp likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:20 am

This is the same thing I'm seeing, and my understanding is that this is an "O" fare so will earn 5%. Also, Economy Delight does not fall into the category of "premium economy" according to the chart, it is grouped with regular economy. To get in the 20% range you have to book true premium economy, which is looking more like $2200 RT (in K):

Premium Economy earns 150% MQM and 30% MQD.

Economy Delight earns 125% MQM and 25% MQD.
mnbp likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
You are getting confused. Fare basis code is not the same as fare booking class. The second to last letter is a 'C' which indicates it is an Economy Delight fare and all Economy Delight fares book into 'V' booking class. Mileage is awarded based on the booking class, not the fare basis code. The fact that the first letter of the fare basis code is an 'O' is not relevant.
Interesting - thanks for the explanation. Now that I know what to look for, I see the same results using EF - booking class is V.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I just booked Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight JFK - LHR - JNB. On the E-ticket email from Virgin it clearly states booking Economy Delight (V) on all flights.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: DL
Hey guys, going to be a little short on my gold status for next year. Looking for some help cheaply getting 12,000 mqm. I've already hit mqd. Spending a day or two in a city is more than ok!

Departure Airport: BOS
MQMs Needed: 12,000
Required Spend or Budget: no required spend,
Available Travel Dates: weekdays preferably, but after October 15.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: yes
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by flyingpigg
Hey guys, going to be a little short on my gold status for next year. Looking for some help cheaply getting 12,000 mqm. I've already hit mqd. Spending a day or two in a city is more than ok!

Departure Airport: BOS
MQMs Needed: 12,000
Required Spend or Budget: no required spend,
Available Travel Dates: weekdays preferably, but after October 15.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: yes

BOS-LHR-TLV :
would earn 16494 RDMs / MQMs 3299 MQDs 2.29 MQD Ratio with Virgin Premium Economy $1436 via Google Flights (Thanksgiving)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.