Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2016 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/One World: 2016 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mdd100
Do you know the visa requirements for CGK? I was thinking ORD>DFW for $64 then https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...2349;a=AA;eo=e
No visa is needed for U.S. citizens to enter Indonesia.

Your plan is OK. On the outbound direction, you are taking a risk that the ORD-DFW flight gets to DFW in time for you to make the outgoing flight - presumably you are planning to travel to DFW the previous day and spend the night there. If your flight is cancelled to DFW or somehow you don't make it to DFW on time, AA does not owe you anything.

With respect to skipping the last flight, the only warning that I have heard from others is that if AA cancels your flight from NRT-ORD, it could put you on a NRT-DFW flight. Then you'd need to find your own way back to ORD.

You have to decide whether these risks are worth the lower cost of the MR.

Last edited by jbeckett; Oct 13, 2016 at 12:30 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:54 am

Hello, I need a little help finding the right MR. See bottom for more info.

Departure Airport: HPN/JFK/LGA - EWR/BDL (if i have to)
Miles Needed: 20,000 to be safe
Required Spend or Budget: Open - domestic coach (5 CPM) ok - prefer premium (under 10 CPM or so) if Intl or redeye.
Available Travel Dates: Can start on Thursday night or all day Friday, can end on Monday for 2 day turns. If 1-day turn it can be any day. Most weekends ok but prefer single day turn unless Intl.
Required Metal or Codeshares: Either

I saw a few here and looked myself. jbeckett posted a BOS-ANC, and it could work as JFK-ANC but the Alaska codeshare looks terrible with bad Y (and F) product on a redeye (LAX-ANC). Maybe I am being too picky but thats why I am asking for help.

Thanks in advanced!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by ZoomVT

Required Spend or Budget: Open - domestic coach (5 CPM) ok - prefer premium (under 10 CPM or so) if Intl or redeye.
Available Travel Dates: Can start on Thursday night or all day Friday, can end on Monday for 2 day turns. If 1-day turn it can be any day. Most weekends ok but prefer single day turn unless Intl.

I saw a few here and looked myself. jbeckett posted a BOS-ANC, and it could work as JFK-ANC but the Alaska codeshare looks terrible with bad Y (and F) product on a redeye (LAX-ANC). Maybe I am being too picky but thats why I am asking for help.

Thanks in advanced!
Probably more than enough you would need, you can do NYC-FAI/ANC for $2,300. Books in F so it earns 3x EQMs. Something like JFK-PHX-SEA-FAI r/t with next day turn would earn ~28,700 EQMs (8 cpm). Plenty of options on AA.com.

https://goo.gl/flights/6t7s
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ZoomVT

Here are four day trips that will net 20000 miles for a little under $1000.
JFK-PHX-RNO-LAX-JFK day trip on 11/15 is $238, 5612 miles.
JFK-LAS-LAX-JFK day trip on 11/16 is $260, 4946 miles.
JFK-PHX-JFK day trip on 12/3 is $231, 4300 miles
JFK-PHX-RNO-LAX-JFK day trip on 12/13 is $246, 5612 miles.

If you want premium, look at BOG or UIO. Each can be found for around $1000 and two trips will be sufficient. Sample below.

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...-15;a=ONEWORLD
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...180;a=ONEWORLD
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...985;a=ONEWORLD
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...JFK0AA180;a=AA

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...c=b;a=ONEWORLD
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:05 pm

Smile Aa: Best way to reach executive plat? | help!

Hello,

I am new to the whole Frequent Flyer World. I was just wanting to know how you all find the most efficient mileage run deals to gain status faster. I fly to Los Angeles from Miami every Tuesday through Thursday. I singed up with AAdvantage so I have about 4,836 miles right now. I want to gain status so I can travel around the world in business class if that becomes possible in the near future. I cannot get a credit card so I know it will be very difficult to reach the finish line by just flying. Thank You all for the help, I really appreciate it! *Please do not be rude*

Sincerely, Ethan.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:18 pm

1. Read the Mileage Run Deals forums for economy and premium flights.
2. Learn how to use google.com/flights.
3. Consider signing up for a status challenge from AA to gain platinum status.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ight=challenge
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
1. Read the Mileage Run Deals forums for economy and premium flights.
2. Learn how to use google.com/flights.
3. Consider signing up for a status challenge from AA to gain platinum status.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ight=challenge

Thank You
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Welcome eshinn!

You can also get creative with your regular trips, if your time and costs permit. For example, rather than take the nonstop to LAX, take the scenic route with a couple/few legs and maximum miles. Those extra miles add up over time.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MsSTL
Welcome eshinn!

You can also get creative with your regular trips, if your time and costs permit. For example, rather than take the nonstop to LAX, take the scenic route with a couple/few legs and maximum miles. Those extra miles add up over time.
Not when your mileage earnings are based on $ spent..
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Not when your mileage earnings are based on $ spent..
But the OP is interested in status. Miles for status (EQM) are based on distance with AA. MsSTL's advice is sound.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbeckett
But the OP is interested in status. Miles for status (EQM) are based on distance with AA. MsSTL's advice is sound.
Not gonna "travel the world in business class" on status alone

But if status is the goal, seeking out higher eqm fares is prob more efficient that routing... the idea of suffering through longer routes in coach sounds painful to me..

I hope op becomes ummmm more realistic with his plans..
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
OP - you're not going to get to free business class flights around the world through mileage running. On AA you only get Award miles based on the amount you spend, not the flight distance.

These days award miles come a lot quicker with credit cards than with flying. If you can't get a credit card then you're going to be at a disadvantage in trying to get award miles and flights.

As much as it's disappointing, right now is far from the best time to attain status and miles. For many of the benefits from status, you can just spend a bit extra per trip and get just about the same perks.

On AA, Executive Platinum is just not worth it any more. With award miles based on spend the act of flying to China or Europe just to get miles does not help any more. Those $595 US-PVG flights don't get you any more Award miles than a $595 JFK-BOS flight.

You have 4836 Award miles. A business class ticket to Europe will cost you at least 115000 miles. Thats 110k more that you need to earn. With EXP, that would be 10k spend. With no status it'll cost more. Compare that to getting 2 credit cards with a 50k sign up bonus. Much less time involved. I realize the CCs are not an option for you. But, I would not recommend mileage running as a way to get Award miles. Definitely not if you're trying to go for the low cost model.

You may have been sold on free travel for nothing by the Bloggers. Unfortunately, that's a dream. It's jut not going to happen.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Mlife Gold
Departure Airport: RIC (Although I could go to DCA, IAD, or BWI pretty easily)
Miles Needed: 4100
Required Spend or Budget: $300
Available Travel Dates: Pretty flexible - most days are fine except end of October
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares okay
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zohyeahz
Departure Airport: RIC (Although I could go to DCA, IAD, or BWI pretty easily)
Miles Needed: 4100
Required Spend or Budget: $300
Available Travel Dates: Pretty flexible - most days are fine except end of October
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares okay
Try BWI-CLT-LAX-CLT-BWI 4,800+mi $225. Same day turn various week days in Nov and Dec. Good luck^
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Try BWI-CLT-LAX-CLT-BWI 4,800+mi $225. Same day turn various week days in Nov and Dec. Good luck^
Wow! That was quick! Thank you But wondering if this is an attempt to get me not to vote hahaha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.