Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Ana yvr - syd $559 rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nomadic.relief
ANA Sydney Fare Meetup

For those who were able to ticket, you can list your flights/dates here...

September
Sep 5 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (willtravelfortea)
Sep 6 YVR-SEA
Sep 7 SEA-HND/NRT-SYD (EmmyDee)
Sep 17 SYD-HND-YVR (willtravelfortea)
Sep 17 YVR-SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (reton)
Sep 18 YVR-SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (surfingsd)
Sep 24 SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YVR (reton)
Sep 26 SYD-NRT/HND-SFO-YVR (EmmyDee)
Sep 26 YVR-SFO (yutuyu)
Sep 27 SFO-NRT/HND-SYD (yutuyu)

October
Oct 1 SYD-HND-YVR (surfingsd)
Oct 3 SYD-HND/NRT-SFO-YVR (yutuyu)
Oct 3 YVR-HND-SYD (andrees71)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (llihlopf)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (kirker, Bugeater+1)
Oct 16 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (Fredd/Mrs. Fredd)
Oct 17 SYD-HND (andrees71)
Oct 17 YVR-SFO-NRT (mowogo)
Oct 18 HND-SYD (mowogo)
Oct 22 SYD-HND-YVR (llihlopf)
Oct 23 SYD-HND-YVR (Fredd/Mrs. Fredd, Bugeater+1)
Oct 24 HND-YVR (andrees71)
Oct 24 SYD-HND (mowogo)
Oct 25 HND-YVR (mowogo)
Oct 29 SYD-HND-YVR (kirker)

November
Nov 2 YVR-HND-SYD (thyeri)
Nov 6- YVR-SEA-NRT HND-SYD (dany2k3m)
Nov 7 YVR-SFO-NRT HND-SYD (YYCCL3, acomp27)
Nov 8 YVR-HND HND-SYD Nov 11 (schnapperin)
Nov 8 YVR-HND-SYD (dlandz)
Nov 8 YVR-HND-SYD (Tracon, Mrs Tracon & Tracon jr.)
Nov 8 YVR-SEA (overnight)-NRT/HND-SYD (foxflyer)
Nov 8 YVR-SEA (overnight)-NRT|HND-SYD (pushmyredbutton)
Nov 13 SYD-HND-YVR (YYCCL3)
Nov 13 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR (acomp27)
Nov 14 SYD-HND HND- YVR Nov 15 (dany2k3m)
Nov 14 SYD-HND HND- YVR Nov 15 (Tracon, Mrs Tracon & Tracon jr.)
Nov 14 YVR-HND-SYD (VladQ)
Nov 15 SYD-HND NRT-SEA-YVR Nov 16 (schnapperin)
Nov 15 SYD-HND|NRT-SFO (pushmyredbutton)
Nov 19 SYD-HND-YVR (dlandz)
Nov 20 YVR-HND-SYD (stratofortress, Majuki)
Nov 22 YVR-NRT AC 3 (canadiancow)
Nov 25 HND-SYD NH 879 (canadiancow)
Nov 27 SYD-TYO-SFO-YVR (stratofortress)
Nov 27 SYD-HND-YVR (Majuki)
Nov 27 SYD-HND-YVR (VladQ)
Nov 29 SYD-HND NH 880 (canadiancow)
Nov 30 NRT-SFO NH 8 (canadiancow - upgraded to F)
Nov 30 YVR-HND (flmyngo)
Nov 30 YVR-HND-SYD (raccoon)

December
Dec 2 HND-SYD (flmyngo)
Dec 5 YVR-HND (devguybc)
Dec 6 YVR-SEA-NRT HND-SYD Dec 9 (seks)
Dec 6 YVR-SEA (overnight) (nomadic.relief)
Dec 7 SEA-NRT HND-SYD (nomadic.relief)
Dec 7 YVR-HND (jerryhze)
Dec 7 YVR-HND (pushmyredbutton)
Dec 10 HND-SYD (pushmyredbutton)
Dec 10 SYD-HND-YVR (raccoon)
Dec 11 HND-SYD (jerryhze)
Dec 13 SYD-HND NRT-SFO (pushmyredbutton - upgraded to F)
Dec 13 HND-SYD (devguybc)
Dec 18 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR Dec 19 (seks)
Dec 18 SYD-HND (devguybc)
Dec 19 HND-LAX-YVR (devguybc)
Dec 19 SYD-HND NRT-SFO-YVR (nomadic.relief - upgraded to F)
Dec 24 SYD-HND-YVR (jerryhze)
Dec 25 SYD-HND (flmyngo)
Dec 26 HND-YVR (flmyngo)

March
Mar 4 SYD-HND-YVR (thyeri)
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Ana yvr - syd $559 rt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by keitherson
Sometimes I do wonder why airlines bother honoring these. I mean, even Swiss has gone all the way to court over this, and in the end, they're the winners. The airline is still profitable and highly regarded even without mistake fare fliers. They even block F award space to Star Alliance with no repercussion. The people that book mistake fares aren't exactly valuable clients, either.
Honestly, I think it may simply be due to Japanese culture. I haven't spent enough time there to understand all the complexities of it, but the concept of honor is taken very seriously there, as is "saving face." In ANA's case, the error was entirely their own fault, plus some ticket buyers succeeded in getting ticketed immediately and others didn't, so it wouldn't surprise if their upper management hedged at first but then decided to honor ALL of the purchased tickets, even the ones they'd already cancelled.

An alternate reason could be them pulling out all the stops to counter the looming threat from JAL. For decades ANA has been considered the "superior" Japanese airline, but JAL is swiftly catching up (but still has a ways to go, considering they don't yet have 180-degree flat beds on all of their transpacific flights). What better way to generate some good will (even if they'll suffer some short-term revenue shortfalls) than by honoring their own mistake?

Finally, note the declining reputation SWISS has generated by being so dickish on mistake fares, allowing F upgrades for *A fliers, and pretty much everything else -- and now compare it to all the kind words bestowed on ANA on this thread!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by kaka
YVR
Hotels
Transit Hotels
Transport
Food
Spots
TYO
Hotels
Transit Hotels
Haneda First Cabin (5000-7000 yen) for a "dorm style" capsule
Narita Hilton (8000-13000 yen)
plenty nice hotels in fowntown
Transport
Food
Spots
SYD
Hotels
Transit Hotels
Transport
Food
Spots

transit points
SEA

SFO

SJC

LAX

Hi I am flying in and out both in HND, I will either stay in the Royal Park Hotel THE Haneda (first cabin does not allow guest under 12), or I'll go to IC Yokohama (about 40 mins by shuttle bus, 30 mins if uber).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by kirker
Honestly, I think it may simply be due to Japanese culture. I haven't spent enough time there to understand all the complexities of it, but the concept of honor is taken very seriously there, as is "saving face." In ANA's case, the error was entirely their own fault, plus some ticket buyers succeeded in getting ticketed immediately and others didn't, so it wouldn't surprise if their upper management hedged at first but then decided to honor ALL of the purchased tickets, even the ones they'd already cancelled.

An alternate reason could be them pulling out all the stops to counter the looming threat from JAL. For decades ANA has been considered the "superior" Japanese airline, but JAL is swiftly catching up (but still has a ways to go, considering they don't yet have 180-degree flat beds on all of their transpacific flights). What better way to generate some good will (even if they'll suffer some short-term revenue shortfalls) than by honoring their own mistake?

Finally, note the declining reputation SWISS has generated by being so dickish on mistake fares, allowing F upgrades for *A fliers, and pretty much everything else -- and now compare it to all the kind words bestowed on ANA on this thread!
It is definitely a culture thing. Last year JAL/AA honored the 4/1 error fare too.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by schwimmair
I know this is HIGHLY subjective but is it worth it to upgrade to F on this segment?

I don't have UA miles so would need to transfer a 50K Ultimate Rewards to cover the cost.

I did look at the one way cost difference from J to F and it's looks like it would be a great redemption but just curious what y'all thought.
While I haven't flown F on NH, it's gotten some considerable raves from travel bloggers:

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/05/ana...-class-review/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-tokyo-narita/
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by seks
My overall plan so far is to fly off to another Aussie city/town as soon as I get to SYD. Come back to SYD 3-4 days before my departure back to HND. Any recommended SPG or Marriott properties in SYD?
Same. I was actually planning a sidetrip to Auckland too, but the cheapest flights are still a bit expensive. I've personally stayed at both the Marriott downtown in SYD and The Pier One (autograph collection)

The Marriott downtown is right in the core, but feels extremely business-like. They have an awkward conference-room-with-showers set up for early arrivals if your room isn't ready at least. I personally preferred the Pier One hotel, since it was right on the water and gave a great (free for Gold) breakfast. It's also reasonably close (10 min) to the sights and ferries, albeit up and down some hills.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:57 am

I was curious about this too. Would the wiki be a good place to share tips on transit hotels, bus vs. train going to/from NRT/HND, Australia ETA's, UBER vs. subway in Sydney, sim cards, etc. Curious where everyone is going to stay too.
I have no idea yet, but just FYI, Vancouver is the only major city in North America without Uber (or any other ride-hailing services). Yes, this is annoying and ridiculous, particularly for a city that's so progressive in most other contexts.

Also, as for SIM cards, I'm amazed the service isn't more well-known, but Google's Project Fi offers flat-rate pricing in 175+ countries -- including data (!!). Regardless of your locale, they charge $10 per GB -- including use of the phone as a wifi hotspot for your laptop! -- plus you don't have to deal with either hunting down SIM cards upon arrival in a new country or not being able to receive calls on your usual mobile number. You can read all about it here:

https://fi.google.com

The only major downsides are a) you have to buy a literal Google phone to use it, namely a Pixel or Nexus, and b) YMMV (or, rather, your speed may vary) depending on location. Some countries have 4G LTE data speeds; quite a few only allow 3G speeds, at least for Fi; and a handful still use 2G connections, though I've only seen that in places like Laos which have little infrastructure of any sort.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by nattino
Hi I am flying in and out both in HND, I will either stay in the Royal Park Hotel THE Haneda (first cabin does not allow guest under 12), or I'll go to IC Yokohama (about 40 mins by shuttle bus, 30 mins if uber).
I was looking at the same hotels but my < 12 year old son will be with me so was leaning on the IC Yokohama.

I have a 17 hour layover so depending on how tired we are I may take him to DisneySea and maybe get a room in the Tokyo Bay area for a few hours instead.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
The new Sofitel is opening in Sydney this fall (think its October). For Toyko I plan on staying in one of those japanese hotels with their own sento/onsen
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:31 pm

I was looking at the same hotels but my < 12 year old son will be with me so was leaning on the IC Yokohama.

I have a 17 hour layover so depending on how tired we are I may take him to DisneySea and maybe get a room in the Tokyo Bay area for a few hours instead.
Hi there, would you mind to share your flight connection time so I can give you some suggestion? and how old is your son? I've been to Tokyo a few times.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Yes, it's a bit hidden. But it works with the ANA confirmation number, and it doesn't have to be booked on United. And congrats, did your upgrade go through??
Got my ticket issued by NH and went to UA site to request upgrade but it did not go through. Still an amazing fare on a fantastic airline and good to know UA has this functionality.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kirker
Honestly, I think it may simply be due to Japanese culture.
Agreed, the Japanese airlines especially ANA are honored to serve their customers.

If anyone reading this thread has an early morning departue from NRT, do yourself a favor and get to the front of the ANA business class checkin line at the counters. When they open for the day all the agents have a ritual/performance, in their elegant Japanese uniforms, which they conclude by thanking and bowing down to their customers.

An American carrier would be more likely to push down, or walk away from their customers before showing this much respect to their customers, coworkers, and employer.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:46 am

I just upgraded one of my legs to first. I noticed that it upgraded into First (O) fare class. According to United, O fare on ANA doesn't earn any award miles when crediting to United. Do I still actually get to earn miles according to the original booking class (Z), or none at all??
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by nesnith
I just upgraded one of my legs to first. I noticed that it upgraded into First (O) fare class. According to United, O fare on ANA doesn't earn any award miles when crediting to United. Do I still actually get to earn miles according to the original booking class (Z), or none at all??
You'll earn based on your original booking class, if it was upgraded with United miles on a United ticket.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
You'll earn based on your original booking class, if it was upgraded with United miles on a United ticket.
Sorry, I should have provided more details in my previous post. It was on an ANA ticket. I used United miles to do the Star Alliance upgrade award.

Would that make a difference?

EDIT: Never mind, earning is indeed based on original booking class. I just read through the Q&A on the Star Alliance Upgrade Award page on united.com.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by nesnith
Sorry, I should have provided more details in my previous post. It was on an ANA ticket. I used United miles to do the Star Alliance upgrade award.

Would that make a difference?

EDIT: Never mind, earning is indeed based on original booking class. I just read through the Q&A on the Star Alliance Upgrade Award page on united.com.
Is the new ticket number ANA or UA ticket stock?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.