Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I've spent a bunch of time on the AA forum, but this is my first post here, so apologies if I'm missing something. I need about 6500 EQMs (let's say 7000 to be safe) to keep my status. All set with EQD. Easy enough, right? The wrinkle is that I have a young kid at home, and a spouse who will let me do this so long as I don't miss dropping her (the kid, not the spouse!) at daycare, which means no flights before 11am by the time I drive to the airport., and no nights away I'd like to do this all in one trip.

Departure Airport: PHL (or EWR if need be, but I hate that airport)
Miles Needed: 7000
Required Spend or Budget: no required spend, so cheaper is better
Available Travel Dates: weekdays (Thursdays and Fridays, almost any week)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares fine, but no international travel
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Last Minute EQMs

I new to this forum, so hopefully I'm getting this right. I need about 7K EQM's to maintain Platinum. I have the EQDs.
Here is my request and I really appreciate any help or advice I receive here.

Departure Airport(s): DFW, TUL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7,000
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: Way under $1,000 would be great
Available Travel Dates: Most of rest of year, except 10/21-10/25, except 11/6
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

Thanks again!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LutherVP
I've spent a bunch of time on the AA forum, but this is my first post here, so apologies if I'm missing something. I need about 6500 EQMs (let's say 7000 to be safe) to keep my status. All set with EQD. Easy enough, right? The wrinkle is that I have a young kid at home, and a spouse who will let me do this so long as I don't miss dropping her (the kid, not the spouse!) at daycare, which means no flights before 11am by the time I drive to the airport., and no nights away I'd like to do this all in one trip.

Departure Airport: PHL (or EWR if need be, but I hate that airport)
Miles Needed: 7000
Required Spend or Budget: no required spend, so cheaper is better
Available Travel Dates: weekdays (Thursdays and Fridays, almost any week)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares fine, but no international travel
I am based out of PHL. For 7K (domestic) miles, you are going to need to do either Hawaii or Alaska, and neither of those will work for an 11AM outbound same day turn. There are those on here that are way better at this than I am, but i think your best bet will be to find a ~2K Mile outbound (Maybe Vegas) and a Red-Eye return in J.

Being PHL based, my favorite is the readily available LAX out and back ~11PM for $250 and 4802 EQM (Did that last year, even got one as cheap as $160).

If you can make a 10:20 flight, you can do LAX return (back at 10:45 PM with a 90 minute layover).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
I am based out of PHL. For 7K (domestic) miles, you are going to need to do either Hawaii or Alaska, and neither of those will work for an 11AM outbound same day turn. There are those on here that are way better at this than I am, but i think your best bet will be to find a ~2K Mile outbound (Maybe Vegas) and a Red-Eye return in J.

Being PHL based, my favorite is the readily available LAX out and back ~11PM for $250 and 4802 EQM (Did that last year, even got one as cheap as $160).

If you can make a 10:20 flight, you can do LAX return (back at 10:45 PM with a 90 minute layover).
Thanks. Very helpful. Can't do a red-eye, but the LAX return you point out is promising, especially if I can do one way in J.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:29 am

NYC Status Run

Departure Airport: Any NYC Airport - JFK/LGA/ERW
Miles Needed: 6000 elite miles
Required Spend or Budget: No required spend, below 400 dollars
Available Travel Dates: Thursday night to Sunday
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: N/A
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:32 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking for the cheapest way to get 4 qualifying segments on BA. I have 600 tier points from flying partner airlines, now just need to hit the 4 flight requirement.

Departure Airport(s): ORD, Anything east coast (I can position myself)
Tier points Needed: N/A
Budget: $500 or less
Available Travel Dates: Nov Thu-Sun
Max # of travel days: Thu-Sun
Class: Any
Airline: BA, IB
Goal: 4 Qualifying segments on BA or IB

Thanks!
-T
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Michael Gao
Departure Airport: Any NYC Airport - JFK/LGA/ERW
Miles Needed: 6000 elite miles
Required Spend or Budget: No required spend, below 400 dollars
Available Travel Dates: Thursday night to Sunday
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: N/A
EWR-DFW-PDX-PHX-EWR for $318 and 6,130 EQMs (just make sure it’s regular economy).

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...800*.USD.26800
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sla22
I new to this forum, so hopefully I'm getting this right. I need about 7K EQM's to maintain Platinum. I have the EQDs.

Thanks again!
You could do DFW-LAX-SEA-DFW in first class for $792. That should get you about 7,700 EQMs.

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...140*.USD.79140
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold

Thanks again!

You could do DFW-LAX-SEA-DFW in first class for $792. That should get you about 7,700 EQMs.

That looks promising, thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Hi there! I've been on FT for some time now but am finally getting around to posting.

I'm currently AA EP and should be ending the year with around 93K EQM and 11.4K EQD with my current travel plans. I'm thinking I should go for EP but I honestly can't spend too much money on an MR. I'm based in CMH but also have a residence near DFW (so overnights work well over there).

Departure Airport(s): CMH, DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7k
EQDs Needed: 600-1k
Max Budget: $1000ish
Available Travel Dates: any weekend that's not within 10/12-10/16, 11/1-11/6, 11/20-11/26, and 12/17-12/29
AA only, or Partners Okay: any
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): no
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: One World
Hello,

New member here, have finished the last few years with around 80K EQMs but on track to finish with 92.5 this year and want to try to make a run at EP. I'm looking at a BWI-CLT-LAX run for 257 that would put me close but not quite there so wanted to see if anyone has anything better.

Departure Airport(s): BWI (DCA or IAD could work if better)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7,500
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: 750
Available Travel Dates: Preferably weekends but pretty flexible if it is a day trip. Anything other than 11/23 & 12/15
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat 2 mil miler, SkyMiles basic, Mileage Plus basic
Haven't posted in a long time... I have a bigger shortfall than you and with only $600 EQD's & 7k miles to go for EP, -I wonder if the option of LAX-TYO might be worth considering-if you can get to LAX by using award travel or, can also find CMH-TYO for about $700-800 RT in economy from LAX and about $100 more from CMH-- would yield plenty of miles and EQD's in a short time, maybe over a weekend. I have been finding BA's PE fares are sometimes about 20 or 30% higher than economy, but can yield 20% of the miles flown in EQD's especially useful in long haul routes. I had spent $1700 on a 20,000 routing that yields (at 20%) $4000 in EQD's. Something to think about for next year perhaps.
Good luck!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Exec Plat long shot??

Hi all,

So I've been Platinum for 3 years in a row. It's been my goal to hit Exec Plat at least once. Not sure how feasible it is this year, but I'm the closest I've been so far at this time of year. As of today, the only KNOWN trip that I have to complete this year is personal: LAX > DFW > LAX, and I will be staying for a few days/week. So, if you can help me figure out my best option, I would consider this DFW trip outside of any mileage run (but will still help me close the gap to EP).

That said, here's where I'm at:

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 17,526
Required Spend or Budget: $3,830
Available Travel Dates: Pretty flexible, but weekends are usually best
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA is best but code shares okay
China Visa: Yup

That said, I'm also curious, but do you think this mileage run is worth it having to spend close to $4K? I'm not 100% clear on business travel next year; might trend down. However, I've personally paid the $350 copay for at least 4 upgrades on my international flights this year.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Thanks again. Cheers!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat 2 mil miler, SkyMiles basic, Mileage Plus basic
Hi Casey,

I think getting to EP status is well worth the effort and money if you can do it, especially as close as you are, that is just my opinion of course, the value has gone down a bit over the years.

I am doing the following trip this month and next: DFW-ORD-LHR-BLR return MAA-ORD-LHR-DFW on BA Premium Economy (booked using AARP discount of $65) on the BA site, for $1834. This trip yields 31,000 EQM (you may get less as platinum), and $4200 EQD's for me.

Since you have a Chinese visa, maybe you can try a similar route to Beijing or Shanghai from Dallas not on AA, but using the BA website, and premium economy fare (T or W class). AA will credit 20% of the miles flown as EQD's.so at 20,000 miles would be $4000 EQD's.

There maybe other destinations with a ticket price sub $2k for premium economy and still be long-haul enough of 20,000 miles from/to DFW--besides India and China..(?Sourh Africa, Australia/NZ) .which would allow you to get to EP for least investment.

hope it helps

Ram
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Casey Mugar
Hi all,

So I've been Platinum for 3 years in a row. It's been my goal to hit Exec Plat at least once. Not sure how feasible it is this year, but I'm the closest I've been so far at this time of year. As of today, the only KNOWN trip that I have to complete this year is personal: LAX > DFW > LAX, and I will be staying for a few days/week. So, if you can help me figure out my best option, I would consider this DFW trip outside of any mileage run (but will still help me close the gap to EP).

That said, here's where I'm at:

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 17,526
Required Spend or Budget: $3,830
Available Travel Dates: Pretty flexible, but weekends are usually best
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA is best but code shares okay
China Visa: Yup

That said, I'm also curious, but do you think this mileage run is worth it having to spend close to $4K? I'm not 100% clear on business travel next year; might trend down. However, I've personally paid the $350 copay for at least 4 upgrades on my international flights this year.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Thanks again. Cheers!
Originally Posted by rampatt
Hi Casey,

I think getting to EP status is well worth the effort and money if you can do it, especially as close as you are, that is just my opinion of course, the value has gone down a bit over the years.

I am doing the following trip this month and next: DFW-ORD-LHR-BLR return MAA-ORD-LHR-DFW on BA Premium Economy (booked using AARP discount of $65) on the BA site, for $1834. This trip yields 31,000 EQM (you may get less as platinum), and $4200 EQD's for me.

Since you have a Chinese visa, maybe you can try a similar route to Beijing or Shanghai from Dallas not on AA, but using the BA website, and premium economy fare (T or W class). AA will credit 20% of the miles flown as EQD's.so at 20,000 miles would be $4000 EQD's.

There maybe other destinations with a ticket price sub $2k for premium economy and still be long-haul enough of 20,000 miles from/to DFW--besides India and China..(?Sourh Africa, Australia/NZ) .which would allow you to get to EP for least investment.

hope it helps

Ram
@Casey—I agree with Ram that PE on a partner carrier is the way to go in terms of getting your required EQM and EQD without spending anywhere close to $4000. For example, LAX-SIN with CX PE will get you around $3500 EQDs and 26,000 EQMs, and right now it's $1445. CGK is another potential option to look at if you need more EQDs. (Just be careful to make sure that the intra-Asia segment is booked into Premium Economy (E), instead of Economy.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.