Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by jungly
Need about 30000 eqm in fall to hit executive.

Anyone suggest cheap long distance routes to Europe or Australia (don't have a Chinese visa unfortunately) from USA or Canada.

ive been able to do long routes within USA for same price tag going from coast to coast. I find ord DFW Mia lax phx then back to your hometown like ord gives you roughly 7k-10k eqm. But thought if anyone has any cheap euro trips or Australia or Hawaii for mileage runs.
Europe is not efficient for so many EQMs. You should be thinking SE Asia or ANZ. Start with google flights, map view.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:52 pm

Hi,

I hear that flying business class with "AA vacations" and every seat is asterisk (*) is a quicker way to getting EQD and EQM's?

I can't figure out how to calculate how many EQM's and EQD i'll get for the following flight? If EQM's are determined by miles flown, then would I get even more EQMs and EQD's for the same price$ but has more stops hence more distance flown under BusinessClass booking through "AAvacations". Lets say this ticket costs 1500$ (includes hotel) - how do I determine how many EQD's i get since I have to bundle hotel and flight?

Had I booked this through the regular AA website the cost would be $1300-$1900. So normally you'd make like 1000 EQD for a 1300$ price take.

sea to arkansas
American Airlines Flight
Boeing 737-800 Passenger, Business I*
Duration4h | 1753 mi (2821 km)
Layover: 3h 17m - Dallas Fort Worth Intl (DFW)

American Airlines Flight
*Operated By MESA AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
Canadair Regional Jet 900, First I*
Duration1h 2m | 227 mi (365 km)

arkansas to sea
American Airlines Flight
*Operated By MESA AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
Canadair Regional Jet 900, First I*
Duration1h 12m | 227 mi (365 km)
Layover: 6h 35m - Dallas Fort Worth Intl (DFW)

American Airlines Flight
Boeing 737-800 Passenger, Business I*
Duration4h 19m | 1753 mi (2821 km)

On AA vacations, its hard to find a domestic flight that will give you true "first class". But AA vacation does know how to scam the person.
Example: below is the calculations if you select "business class" at $1300 w/ hotel with all i* , yet if I select first class it'll jack up the price to 1700$ yet still only give me i* because the plane does not support first class into dallas. Even if you pay the extra cost your ticket will still show up as business class for some of the flight. Anyone encounter this? I still want to get first class and have AA recognize the bump in price up.

Last edited by jungly; Jun 14, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Europe is not efficient for so many EQMs. You should be thinking SE Asia or ANZ. Start with google flights, map view.
Yea I see a lot of flights to Asia. Question which countries allows passage through i you only have an American and Canadian citizenship? Is it worth going through the hassle of getting a China visa because all the good flights go through there? Is it easy to get?

Ball park range, if I'm flying to bangkok or hongkong, what's a good run for these? 20,000 EQM's in a single distance? And cost is under $1000?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:42 pm

If I have the luxury to fly in business class or economy. And lets say the fare is $2000.

1. $2000 for a direct flight in business class domestic to destination A
2. $2000 for a 6 stop multi-city economy to destination A

Will I get more EQD's for option 1?
I know if I was hunting for EQM's i'd choose option 2 for domestic or some 'special fare' to some far away place in asia.

For me i'd like to maximize both, but preferably get the EQD's out of the way.

I'm currently at 7,777$ EQD with 55,191 EQM.

Any advice on how to maximize EQD's or EQM using either AA.com or AA vacations or Chase. I tried aaVacations, but I only benefit EQM's if i take a 'special rate' domestic.

Last edited by jungly; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:44 pm

delete message
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Yea I see a lot of flights to Asia. Question which countries allows passage through i you only have an American and Canadian citizenship? Is it worth going through the hassle of getting a China visa because all the good flights go through there? Is it easy to get?

Ball park range, if I'm flying to bangkok or hongkong, what's a good run for these? 20,000 EQM's in a single distance? And cost is under $1000?
With US and Canadian citizenships, I wouldn't be worried about visas. Yes China needs a visa (for longer trips), but it is easy to get, maybe get a 10-year visa and be done with that. Most other countries either won't require a visa, or issue it upon arrival, or you can get it online.

Sadly airlines have made it difficult to fulfill all requirements simultaneously. For EQMs, it is usually best to fly AA, economy will be ok. For EQDs, it is usually best to fly a OneWorld partner like BA, CX, AY, QR etc.: however anything but economy (premium economy would be ok if offered)!

So you may need two trips between now and December end (to avoid the end of the year crunch, think of it as November end). They can be separate, back to back or nested / overlapping. Good luck.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 15, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond

You do not need a Chinese visa to go to Hong Kong if you are US citizen with passport. Also, if you do find something that connects through Mainland China to a third country you can do a 144 hour "transit without visa".

Look at runs from LAX to Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta. Those will get you 15-20k miles round-trip and easily for less than $1000.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by badkneeski
You do not need a Chinese visa to go to Hong Kong if you are US citizen with passport. Also, if you do find something that connects through Mainland China to a third country you can do a 144 hour "transit without visa".

Look at runs from LAX to Hong Kong, Singapore, Jakarta. Those will get you 15-20k miles round-trip and easily for less than $1000.
I would also suggest if you want to avoid international travel then try some Business class trip LAX-CLT-SJU Return for 800 dollar for 13K EQM. I am sure there are better other business class trip in US you can find to reach your goal
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I have $10k EQDs with 50k EQMs.
I'm based out of DFW and travel often for work. But it's often last minute short haul flights (ie: DFW to MSY), and being out of DFW, domestic mile accurage thru Economy seems a bit more difficult. My goal is to hit Exec Plat status. My upcoming travel for the next month I'll hit the $12k spend, but I'll be wildly short on miles (~11k miles).

Departure Airport: DFW or NYC
Miles Needed: 25k
Required Spend or Budget: minimum as possible
Available Travel Dates: Fall/Winter 2018
*Edit, I do have a Chinese Visa, I did HKG last year, prefer to not do that run again.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: n/a

Last edited by jasflysalot; Jun 19, 2018 at 4:51 pm Reason: Forgot to add abt Chinese Visa
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by jasflysalot
I have $10k EQDs with 50k EQMs.
I'm based out of DFW and travel often for work. But it's often last minute short haul flights (ie: DFW to MSY), and being out of DFW, domestic mile accurage thru Economy seems a bit more difficult. My goal is to hit Exec Plat status. My upcoming travel for the next month I'll hit the $12k spend, but I'll be wildly short on miles (~11k miles).

DFW-HKG is available in PE for about $1600 through much of the fall, here's one example. This would give you about 24,300 miles. You can play around and connect for possibly more miles. You don't need a visa to visit Hong Kong, just a US passport.

If you have a Chinese visa (you don't indicate), PVG is about $300 less.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasflysalot
*Edit, I do have a Chinese Visa, I did HKG last year, prefer to not do that run again.
What have you found so far? Where do you want to go? For this many miles, you'll need something beyond Europe.

I found this to JNB in PE, about $1800. Gives just over 30k EQM.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Hello everyone,

I have a day and a half or so unexpectedly free and am hoping to get in an MR to help me re-qual for Plat or Plat Pro. Anyone have ideas on a decent MR for July 5 out of Kansas City, ending up in DC either late that night or by noonish the next day?

Departure Airport: MCI
Ending Airport: DCA/IAD/BWI
Miles Needed: As many as possible - premium cabin OK
Required Spend or Budget: Willing to spend up to 2k or so
Available Travel Dates: Begin anytime 7/5/18. Need to arrive at a DC-area airport no later than 1 pm the next day, Friday 7/6.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Hello everyone,

I have a day and a half or so unexpectedly free and am hoping to get in an MR to help me re-qual for Plat or Plat Pro. Anyone have ideas on a decent MR for July 5 out of Kansas City, ending up in DC either late that night or by noonish the next day?

Departure Airport: MCI
Ending Airport: DCA/IAD/BWI
Miles Needed: As many as possible - premium cabin OK
Required Spend or Budget: Willing to spend up to 2k or so
Available Travel Dates: Begin anytime 7/5/18. Need to arrive at a DC-area airport no later than 1 pm the next day, Friday 7/6.
I found this itinerary. $485 for coach, about $2400 for business, or an extra $100 to be in F for the LAX-JFK leg.

With just a day, you don't really have time for an elaborate run to Europe or Asia
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I found this itinerary. $485 for coach, about $2400 for business, or an extra $100 to be in F for the LAX-JFK leg.

With just a day, you don't really have time for an elaborate run to Europe or Asia
Thanks so much, aztimm! You've inspired me - I re-arranged my schedule a bit and am now free to travel July 5-8. Just need to start in MCI and end in WAS by Sunday evening. Any more ambitious ideas involving Europe or Asia? I do have a Chinese visa.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Thanks so much, aztimm! You've inspired me - I re-arranged my schedule a bit and am now free to travel July 5-8. Just need to start in MCI and end in WAS by Sunday evening. Any more ambitious ideas involving Europe or Asia? I do have a Chinese visa.
This itinerary to PVG is $1880, but just a night in Shanghai. Still enough time to head into town, stay a night, explore the underground market near the science museum (or walk along the Bund), then head back to PVG.
I don't know what time the last train is from BWI into DC; you may need to taxi or Uber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.