Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood LP, Marriott P, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaVinciDeal
I have not looked too closely at your planned travel, but my thought would be to take 2 trips to Asia (first to HKG, then either Hanoi, Bangkok, or Jakarta) in Premium economy with Cathay. Here is an example: https://goo.gl/flights/GjEaW. Another option would be to use AA Vacations and look for the special fare code booked into economy. If you took a trip similar to this twice, then you would earn roughly 7500 EQDs, more than enough if you add in your flights to Europe and South America. Hope this helps!
Originally Posted by sgan317
Book via AA Vacations on JL metal. DFW-HAN. October 18-22. Books into P* so 1 round trip would earn 26223 EQM and 3496 EQD. Total cost with the cheapest hotel was $1675.00. This will give you more than your 9k eqd with less than 5k actual spend for 3 R/T's.
you guys really are brilliant! Thank you much!
Old May 9, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by A651346
Hi there... I am currently Platinum through challenge and would like to get to EXP asap. Home airport is Phx Sky Harbor but can be flexible to LAX, SNA, or SAN. Would like any advice on how to accelerate EQDs and EQMs to reach EXP.

Departure Airport(s): PHX (preferred), LAX, SNA, or SAN
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 75k miles
EQDs Needed: $5000
Max Budget: $3000
Available Travel Dates: flexible
Max # Travel Nights: 2-3
AA only, or Partners Okay: either (which ever gets more EQDs or EQMs)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

Curent AA Dashboard:
$4k EQD
28000 EQMs

Booked travel:
PHX-JFK-CLT-PHX
PHX-SEA-PHX
PHX-LAX-HKG-BKK-NRT-LAX-PHX (HKG to BKK AA flight # operated by CX) and (BKK to NRT AA flight # operated by JAL)

I plan on traveling to BKK later in the year (Nov-Dec) and hope to achieve EXP prior so that i can use the earn SWU for that trip when becoming EXP.

Thank you all for any assistance.

So, how many miles (EQMs) will you need IN ADDITION to the flights you have booked above? I'm not an expert at searching for these low fares, but a look on google flights indicated a LAX Hong Kong flight for $1593 in June - you get 14,500 EQMs for it r/t - so if you need say 45k miles, you can do it for about $4800 - more than your budget, but, if you also need 5000 EQDs you will need to spend that (plus tax and fees). Some of the MR pros may have better suggestions, but Asia sounds like a least cost region this time of year.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Thank you for your response. After calculating what is booked and my dashboard, looks like i’ll Need another 50-60k EQMs and $5k EQDs. I am so new to this and trying to find threads if i should book with CX or JAL flight numbers to “beef” up EQDs?
Old May 9, 2018, 5:18 pm

ChicGeekUno;29725345]Im looking to maximize miles and eqds on some upcoming travel

Departure Airport(s): DCA, IAD, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 50,000 EQM
EQDs Needed: $9000
Max Budget: $6000ish
Available Travel Dates: Varies
Max # Travel Nights: 4
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners preferred to maximize EQDs
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Booked Travel
included above

Another choice would be to fly CX to Ho Chi Minh. I have one booked for October but the fares are good late summer as well. M
May be a few more or less EQM's depending on AA status, but you'll be way over on EQM's.

Here's some example out of JFK in Sept. - https://goo.gl/flights/zmEk3 and to BKK - https://goo.gl/flights/KvD8c

A couple of those or similar and a trip to Europe should get you close to $9K.

Last edited by CJPacker; May 9, 2018 at 5:33 pm Reason: finish
Old May 9, 2018, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by A651346
Thank you for your response. After calculating what is booked and my dashboard, looks like i’ll Need another 50-60k EQMs and $5k EQDs. I am so new to this and trying to find threads if i should book with CX or JAL flight numbers to “beef” up EQDs?
I'm finding it easy to get the EQD, just buy booking PE/biz fares with partners (plus the Barclay MC helps too). The trouble I'll have this year is EQM.

There's a CX ORD-HKG-CMB biz fare for about $2500 right now. It would give about $5k EQD and 30k miles. I'm doing this later in summer, PM if you want details.
There was (may still be) a CX PE fare for about $1800 to many cities in Asia.
Plus a very quick way to get EQD and EQM is to book a BA PE fare, through LHR to Asia. Not necessarily the most comfortable though

I'd keep an eye on the Premium Fare forum.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJPacker

A couple of those or similar and a trip to Europe should get you close to $9K.
How are you getting 41k EQM?

The JFK-YVR-HKG-SGN round-trip is just under 20k miles. 150% of that is about 30k miles. Not sure where that 41k is coming from.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
How are you getting 41k EQM?

The JFK-YVR-HKG-SGN round-trip is just under 20k miles. 150% of that is about 30k miles. Not sure where that 41k is coming from.
Im sorry to not clarify but I will be Sapphire when i take the flight in Oct.
But I did say - May be a few more or less EQM's depending on AA status, but you'll be way over on EQM's. Appears OP is going to fly a lot and will get bonus EQM's as flights accumulate.
Typically... it's harder to achieve EQD's than EQM's or in my case I'll be way over on EQM's before getting $12,000 EQD's and Exec- Plat. When the bonus miles kick in. 40, 60, 80% bonuses.

Elite mileage bonusExpand
Elite status members earn additional bonus miles on base flight miles earned when traveling with:
  • American Airlines
  • American Eagle
  • British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Dragon Air
  • Finnair
  • Iberia
  • Japan Airlines
  • LATAM Airlines Chile
  • Malaysia Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways

Last edited by CJPacker; May 10, 2018 at 9:31 am
Old May 10, 2018, 9:51 am

Im sorry to not clarify but I will be Sapphire when i take the flight in Oct.
But I did say - May be a few more or less EQM's depending on AA status, but you'll be way over on EQM's. Appears OP is going to fly a lot and will get bonus EQM's as flights accumulate.
Typically... it's harder to achieve EQD's than EQM's or in my case I'll be way over on EQM's before getting $12,000 EQD's and Exec- Plat. When the bonus miles kick in. 40, 60, 80% bonuses.
It sounds like you mean RDM's (redeemable miles). EQM's for CX are found here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp

For PE, biz, and F, the EQM's are all 150%. So if the trip is 20k miles, you'd earn 30k EQM's. Status has nothing to do with earning EQM's (but does with earning RDM's).
Old May 10, 2018, 10:35 am

For PE, biz, and F, the EQM's are all 150%. So if the trip is 20k miles, you'd earn 30k EQM's. Status has nothing to do with earning EQM's (but does with earning RDM's).
OK I had that wrong... Must change my strategy. Thanks
aztimm likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:51 pm

So this may be more accurate but always appreciate learning. Still a good status run at $2.72 EQD's / dollars spent.
aztimm likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:29 pm

So this may be more accurate but always appreciate learning. Still a good status run at $2.72 EQD's / dollars spent.
That does sound accurate and is definitely a good status run. It is especially good not to be in regular coach.

I think you need a visa for Vietnam, so just allow enough time (and money) for that. I went to SGN 2 years ago, but I think the process changed since then. I lucked out on my return flight (JL to NRT) and got an op-up to business (but not on the AA NRT-DFW leg).

There's some threads in the AA forum on earning EQM or EQD with partner airlines, here's the one for CX.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:20 am

That does sound accurate and is definitely a good status run. It is especially good not to be in regular coach.

I think you need a visa for Vietnam, so just allow enough time (and money) for that. I went to SGN 2 years ago, but I think the process changed since then. I lucked out on my return flight (JL to NRT) and got an op-up to business (but not on the AA NRT-DFW leg).

There's some threads in the AA forum on earning EQM or EQD with partner airlines, here's the one for CX.
Thanks for the response. I leave for HAN in a few weeks on a AA vacation * special and have submitted for a Visa, $6 + $25 at the Han airport. I hope I'm as lucky as you with an upgrade... but with only AA gold status it's probably a futile hope. Later in the year to SGN on CX. It's a long MR to each locations which are both on my bucket list. As well as Exec status this year.

Thanks again
Old May 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
I need to some suggestions on getting some better mileage runs on my return official travel trips. My home airport is AUS now-a-days I am traveling to Tampa or Miami on Monday Mornings and my returns are on Thursday evenings and I am looking for some help to get better mileage trips from TPA to AUS or MIA to AUS.

I am ok doing same day trips or 1+ day (leave TPA on Thursday and return on Friday to Austin).

I have tried few trips MIA - LAX - AUS or MIA-SEA-AUS. If possible wanted to keep the Thursday trips between 350 - 450 dollars. Thanks in Advance for suggestions.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:34 pm

Trying to reach Plat Pro

Departure Airport(s): SEA (can position to anywhere west coast)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20k
EQDs Needed: $3000
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: now to Sept.
Max # Travel Nights: Any Fri to Mon
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA, BA, Iberia, JAL, or Finnair
Old May 16, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by gemini5165
Departure Airport(s): SEA (can position to anywhere west coast)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20k
EQDs Needed: $3000
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: now to Sept.
Max # Travel Nights: Any Fri to Mon
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA, BA, Iberia, JAL, or Finnair
Need mostly same parameters except departing from GRR/LAN/DTW.....(ORD/First/Business for the right price) and can fly pretty much whenever.

Thanks for any assistance.......if I can maximize temp gold status (lol,,,yes I know) that may be a helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.