Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRU MR Turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by ahcjar103
if you are transiting, does the onward segment out of brazil need to be on the same ticket/itinerary? i decided to change my end destination after booking the original to GRU and have a separate ticket for the onward/last segment.
from timatic
Brazil - Transit Visa

Visa required.

Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Holders of onward tickets in transit through Rio de Janeiro Galeao International (GIG) or Sao Paulo Guarulhos (GRU).

TWOV (transit without visa) does not apply to passengers in transit through Sao Paulo Guarulhos (GRU) who hold a separate ticket, purchased on or after 1 October 2015, for their connecting flight.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat 2 mil miler, SkyMiles basic, Mileage Plus basic
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Agreed. It's not like it can't be done and I'd highly recommend visiting Brazil. I love Brazil and have been many times. Getting a visa isn't hard, but it isn't exactly painless either (at least when I got my mine). I feel (and YMMV) that its a lot of work and money for a MR turn. If you're going to go to Brazil, it's absolutely worth it.

When I got mine, you needed to have travel booked and have to have the visa stamped in-country within XX days since getting it back. So timing and other things are important.

My point is that it isn't free in terms of time and money and the goal of a MR is to minimize both.
I did a couple of mileage runs through GRU--having obtained the 10 yr visa, I feel comfortable searching for more future bargains as it appears to me, the "pre-Olympics" period has been especially good for bargain hunting to GRU and on occasion to GIG and other points in Brazil. I would imagine if you ONLY wished to use GRU for mileage runs, you could try to get in and out without a Visa, but I would amortize the cost of the visa over 10 years and consider it cost of membership in a possible future "discount club" location--understandably the period around the Olympics would be out of reach, but imagine the discounted fares which might be possible months afterwards!

Just thinking out loud (I was able to find flights to Beijing for $299 several months before their Olympics for instance and <$600 several months later...not sure if it is in any way related).

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.