Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRU MR Turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

GRU MR Turnaround

I searched all over the various fora (including Brazil, MR Turnarounds /Turnabouts /Transits, etc.) and could not find the exact answers to my questions, so I will put them to you experts.

I will be flying AA (marketed and operated) MIA-GRU-MIA. I have 3 hours on the ground at GRU. I am a US citizen.

1. Is a Brazil visa required for this type of transit?
2. Will I be able to remain airside for my turnaround? I assume I will be required to get my return BP at a transfer/connection desk, but am hoping to avoid immigration.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:16 pm

Not 100% certain, but I would expect AA to deny you boarding without a Brazilian visa as your destination is GRU.

If you were doing MIA-GRU-SCL or something, it would be different discussion but that is not the case here..
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Not 100% certain, but I would expect AA to deny you boarding without a Brazilian visa as your destination is GRU.

If you were doing MIA-GRU-SCL or something, it would be different discussion but that is not the case here..
Thanks for info. I always play it better-safe-than-sorry anyway. Have plenty of time to secure a visa...just wanted to save the $$ if i could.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn
Thanks for info. I always play it better-safe-than-sorry anyway. Have plenty of time to secure a visa...just wanted to save the $$ if i could.
You're probably better off eating the change fee and rebooking to someplace that makes the visa process easier... I remember mine being a pain and the process not terribly efficient (costs aside). You're net costs will end up being the same.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

You're probably better off eating the change fee and rebooking to someplace that makes the visa process easier... I remember mine being a pain and the process not terribly efficient (costs aside). You're net costs will end up being the same.
Haven't booked yet, but your points are well taken.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Yes, it's a pain if you're not close to an embassy or consulate. However, keep in mind that the visa is good for multiple entries over 10 years (used to be 5); if there's a good chance you'll want to visit in that time, that changes the cost trade-off.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally, MR turnarounds are ok in GRU and don't require to go thru immigration/formally enter the country.
How about booking a refundable onward ticket, which would allow you to stay in the transit area?
The separate onward ticket could then be refunded afterwards.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Yes, it's a pain if you're not close to an embassy or consulate. However, keep in mind that the visa is good for multiple entries over 10 years (used to be 5); if there's a good chance you'll want to visit in that time, that changes the cost trade-off.
Interesting, I didn't have any issues. In fact, I applied for it without any firm plans to visit Brazil.

I was moving to Argentina and would need the visa eventually. I created a "fake" flight itinerary, filled out all the necessary docs and got it back within the time allotted.

So I guess, YMMV as always.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Agreed. It's not like it can't be done and I'd highly recommend visiting Brazil. I love Brazil and have been many times. Getting a visa isn't hard, but it isn't exactly painless either (at least when I got my mine). I feel (and YMMV) that its a lot of work and money for a MR turn. If you're going to go to Brazil, it's absolutely worth it.

When I got mine, you needed to have travel booked and have to have the visa stamped in-country within XX days since getting it back. So timing and other things are important.

My point is that it isn't free in terms of time and money and the goal of a MR is to minimize both.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
1. Is a Brazil visa required for this type of transit? Yes. AA will not let you board without VISA
2. Will I be able to remain airside for my turnaround? Yes. I strongly suggest you get your BP in MIA for the return flight. Just look for the International connections - Terminal 3 signs after you deplane, pass through security and proceed to your gate. BP is not required to pass through security. IME, I did not see an AA/OW connection desk to give you a BP unless it is hidden somewhere.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I searched all over the various fora (including Brazil, MR Turnarounds /Turnabouts /Transits, etc.) and could not find the exact answers to my questions, so I will put them to you experts.

I will be flying AA (marketed and operated) MIA-GRU-MIA. I have 3 hours on the ground at GRU. I am a US citizen.

1. Is a Brazil visa required for this type of transit?
2. Will I be able to remain airside for my turnaround? I assume I will be required to get my return BP at a transfer/connection desk, but am hoping to avoid immigration.

Thanks in advance.
AA will not issue a boarding pass without the Visa. Big fine imposed on them when you are not allowed past passport control at GRU. The visa turnaround time is longer than it used to, keep this in mind. In T2, you had to exit through passport control and then go back in to the terminal (through security). Previous poster discussed T3 where you will fly in and out of now.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by george 3
Previous poster discussed T3 where you will fly in and out of now.
Correct. AA flies in and out of T3 now which makes the transit easier. However one must need a visa to board the flight bound for Brazil.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All for the great feedback!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Thanks All for the great feedback!
I just did this MR a few days ago on AA metal so I just want to clarify a few things:

1. Yes, you need a visa for Brazil to board the plane if flying under a US passport and GRU is your final destination on AA itinerary.
2. AA uses Term 3, and you can skip immigration by going thru "International connections" transit zone. You do not need to show your boarding pass to get into the transit area.
3. You can get a boarding pass for your returning flight at the gate. I arrived at GRU from MVD on different metal; transited over to terminal 3, and got my boarding pass at the gate before I boarded with no problem.
Note: I did all of this with carry-on luggage.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
I just did this MR a few days ago on AA metal so I just want to clarify a few things:

1. Yes, you need a visa for Brazil to board the plane if flying under a US passport and GRU is your final destination on AA itinerary.
2. AA uses Term 3, and you can skip immigration by going thru "International connections" transit zone. You do not need to show your boarding pass to get into the transit area.
3. You can get a boarding pass for your returning flight at the gate. I arrived at GRU from MVD on different metal; transited over to terminal 3, and got my boarding pass at the gate before I boarded with no problem.
Note: I did all of this with carry-on luggage.

Hope this helps!
TeamCarryon welcome to FT and a super informative post. GRU is my most frequent airport outside of the US - the connection info in #2 is particularly helpful to me. Thanks !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.