Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK*G (not matched)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
(...) As mentioned, ZERO on any LH metal flights.
And even if you credit LH-flights on LH-M&M:
For flights until 31DEC13 K-class gives 50%
For flights after 01JAN14 K-class gives only 25%

(http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002)
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
bingo! Lots of people booked TATL codeshares operated by LH too... That will be a reality check when they dont earn anything.
I booked ORD-FRA-JNB yesterday, with UA to FRA and LH to JNB. It's showing on both United.com and Lufthansa.com as L-class. That means it's actually L right? So should earn 100%?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:27 pm

Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I booked LGA-MIL on AC in May. Would I be able to give them my USAirways number instead of United (both Star Alliance, right?) and get miles that would eventually be transferable to AA?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold
it finally ticketed my IAD-FRA-AMM, Jordan fare. took about 27 hours from time of booking, so was sweating a bit.

booked in NOK and it came to $448 on my UA Chase, put a travel to Norway notice on the Chase, maybe helped, maybe didn't.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by drpie34
Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I booked LGA-MIL on AC in May. Would I be able to give them my USAirways number instead of United (both Star Alliance, right?) and get miles that would eventually be transferable to AA?
US may be exiting the Star Alliance in March as part of the merger with AA. Details aren't 100% clear yet, but that is the latest indication. If so, you likely won't be able to.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by villox
I booked ORD-FRA-JNB yesterday, with UA to FRA and LH to JNB. It's showing on both United.com and Lufthansa.com as L-class. That means it's actually L right? So should earn 100%?
L (for now) does earn 100% in UA MP ^

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by drpie34
US is leaving star alliance early next year

AC is staying

Thus, you would not be able to credit an AC flight to US in May

Programs: UA 1K, TK*G (not matched)
Originally Posted by villox
Right!

My Germany-Miami flight booked in T. Outbound TATL op LH, return TATL op LX via ZRH.
Funny thing: 25% on LH M&M but 100% on UA MP. ^
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by dantorsiello
Just booked LGA to MXP for $480 total for my girlfriend and I on 2/12 to 2/17. Perfect timing for work and, with it being Valentine's Day, I'll be able to propose to my girlfriend. I have the confirmation code, but nothing on my Chase card and waiting to be ticketed.
Do it at Lake Como. I've stayed at Casta Diva and highly recommend. Good luck (and I hope she doesn't read FT )
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:33 pm

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Just to confirm on my EWR to BCN flight it's in T on UA metal. This should earning 100% US Airway dividend miles, right?

And on NYC to MXP the outbound flight is a UA ticket (but operated by Swiss) and is a K ticket this should earn 100% on UA mileage plus. The return is on Air Canada (also a K ticket) which should earn 100% for the long flight and 25% for the short (canada to NY) flight on UA mileage plus, right?

The second flight isn't till Oct so US Airways won't be an option at that point...
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm at 25 hours for my IAD-DXB. Still no pending charge yet. Holding my hope that it's still in process
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djohannw
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron1262

Also for those who you who arent aware how it works.. UA will eventually be billing WF for each and every one of these tickets as issuing carrier always collects the payment. (assuming they're honored)

Exactly. However since the YQ is a "artifical" idea to screw customers this is not covered by interline agreements - so if there is a YQ in your fare, it is kept by the ticketing airline anyhow. So UA will bill WF exactly what we have paid - minus a fee for issuing the ticket. In total for WF that will add to their bottom line - they get money just for funishing their ticket stock. UA will certainly get mad at them, however since WF is now part of the SAS group, it is unlikely that UA will drop the interline agreement with WF (their only recourse when UA does not like selling tickets this way).

Greetings - Dirk
Do you know for sure or just guessing YQ is kept by ticketing carrier? I highly doubt YQ is not paid to operating carrier. This defeats the airlines' own justification for fuel surcharge.

UA will hit WF for the full amount due according to the fare basis not just the face value of the ticket, which in this case, was issued in error.

Some posters speculated 5,000 to 10,000 tickets. Assuming average of $400 YQ not collected per ticket, they will be playing musical chairs in WF; the one without the chair will be let go.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by fintheman
Booked exactly at 2:30 CST yesterday, Used Amex, no pending charges.

Anyone get their booking for TLV processed all the way? I can select seats in United, see it on Checkmytrip and even purchased priority boarding for the first stop (odd I know). It is for the end of February.
Yes I did. When are you going?

Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
US may be exiting the Star Alliance in March as part of the merger with AA. Details aren't 100% clear yet, but that is the latest indication. If so, you likely won't be able to.
Thanks. Guess I'll just go with United then (or is there a better *A airline for these AC trips to Milan?). I have all my points in Delta and AA.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by saranyc
Just to confirm on my EWR to BCN flight it's in T on UA metal. This should earning 100% US Airway dividend miles, right?

And on NYC to MXP the outbound flight is a UA ticket (but operated by Swiss) and is a K ticket this should earn 100% on UA mileage plus. The return is on Air Canada (also a K ticket) which should earn 100% for the long flight and 25% for the short (canada to NY) flight on UA mileage plus, right?

The second flight isn't till Oct so US Airways won't be an option at that point...
T earns 100% (http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ce_united.html)

However, if they're not in Star then you get nada with US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.