Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Gone] AZ: 320 discount on Alitalia operated flights (.JP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Gone] AZ: 320 discount on Alitalia operated flights (.JP)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by mediator
+1. But for the UA 4mile HKG fiasco, NOTHING was offered by UA. So I guess AZ will do the same.
These are 2 different situation.
There is no mistake on the AZ tickets.
It was AZ forgot to add restrictions on its coupon.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Leviticus
This might be a bit of Stockholm syndrome, but I actually feel kind of bad of Alitalia. They have had a really crappy time for the last few years, verge of bankruptcy and bad maintenance on some aircraft. Italy as a country is in a giant pile of financial poo, and thousands of us are now arguing for free flights.

Got to disagree a bit there... this could have been the best thing ever to happen to Italy; the vast majority of us (especially the intra EU flights) stay one or several days, which means we will all pay full price for hotels, food, drinks etc, while November-February is normally a very low time for tourism to Italy.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by BobKop
Got to disagree a bit there... this could have been the best thing ever to happen to Italy; the vast majority of us (especially the intra EU flights) stay one or several days, which means we will all pay full price for hotels, food, drinks etc, while November-February is normally a very low time for tourism to Italy.
Bless you.

It's like doing missionary work for the destitute Italians..
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by jaymar01
Bless you.

It's like doing missionary work for the destitute Italians..
haha of course, the art of public relations

PS: something AZ clearly does not possess

Last edited by BobKop; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:13 am Reason: addition
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
In my case it's a boon for Spain (MAD was cheapest fare from JFK) and Turkey (added another flight MAD-IST). Only part of Italy I will see is FCO, and my Delta status will take care of lounges/food/drinks/showers on layovers.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Spiff
"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the Universe than we do now."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
I would think the most pertinent precedent here would be the DOT's reaction to the Travelocity code for the National Federation for the Blind Convention that was issued without restrictions. Does anyone recall the resolution in that case?

ETA: Apparently DOT told people to F* off. The logic isn't 100% applicable here, but it does show that the DOT was willing to overlook cancellations related to a promo code with ill-constructed T&C.

Last edited by janetdoe; Oct 22, 2012 at 1:22 am
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: *Gold
Is saudiairlines.com being down related to this deal I wonder? Wanted to check if my e-tickets were still confirmed.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I agree - I was going to pay for 5 days of rental cars, hotels, food and ski rentals/lessons that I will no longer spend - so overall a net loss of a few thousand euros to the Italian economy.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
In my case it's a boon for Spain (MAD was cheapest fare from JFK) and Turkey (added another flight MAD-IST). Only part of Italy I will see is FCO, and my Delta status will take care of lounges/food/drinks/showers on layovers.

Haha, well Spain could certainly use it too...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Leviticus
This might be a bit of Stockholm syndrome, but I actually feel kind of bad of Alitalia. They have had a really crappy time for the last few years, verge of bankruptcy and bad maintenance on some aircraft. Italy as a country is in a giant pile of financial poo, and thousands of us are now arguing for free flights.
You don't have to worry about that. This is not the case.
I haven't forgotten the time when my dad used to reward AZ with € 310 ($400)
in '90s for a domestic roundtrip - 1h flightime

$400 not taking into account inflation! Now would be at least $600.

Not to mention the unknown amount of taxes we poured to fund the company.

Likewise many American fellows love to remember the glorious Pan Am and their "kind" price attitude.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
This is NOT a mistake fare.
We don't have TO consider it a mistake fare. We booked through the .jp choosing a flight combination clearly exposed and framed.
Over the total amount, which was not wrong cheap or outrageously erroneous, we applied the PROMOJP coupon code.

The condition of the coupon did NOT mention a mandatory origin of the flights (that was added after more than 12 hours), nor any other limitation than black out dates.

We all need to keep clear this. It is a way different story than error/mistake fares, or currency IATA input etc.

Last edited by Forrest Bump; Oct 22, 2012 at 2:05 am
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Keeping clear is nice but how to turn it into real tickets is another story.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:24 am

Did anyone booked a flight Ex-Japan with the voucher (ie, something which was absolutely valid, no matter what) and had it cancelled as well? That would just be the icing on the cake
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
I'm going to call AZ this morning, trying to understand why they confirmed me my tkt saturday by phone, and today it's "void"!

I'm really wondering what they can say about it!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
take note: AZ removed "I miei Viaggi" (= check my itineraries) from their site-homepage!
I mean this link: www.alitalia.com/IT_IT/TP/APV/apvsearch.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.