Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Gone] AZ: 320 discount on Alitalia operated flights (.JP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Gone] AZ: 320 discount on Alitalia operated flights (.JP)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC & HH
Originally Posted by FrankTalk
But then again, it doesn't matter, because you'll have no ticket, thus no reservation, thus you won't be able to present yourself for boarding thus you simply can't be denied of boarding.
Exactly. Why waste all of that time over a ticket that never should have existed.

Out of curiosity, did the .JP Facebook page have the terms listed before they updated it?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by Oapos
Exactly. Why waste all of that time over a ticket that never should have existed.

Out of curiosity, did the .JP Facebook page have the terms listed before they updated it?
no..this is what i remeber..only on the promo link!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Unless I get an explicit letter confirming cancellation of my ticket, I just plan to show up at FCO for my trip to Venice..since I'm going to be in Rome anyway.
At worst, I'll lose a little cab fare from Piazza di Trevi to FCO and back.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Oapos

Go to twitter:
https://twitter.com/alitalia

There's no update after Oct 20
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
There is another discussion that is worth having here, which is about the fact that this is not a mistake fare, but rather a coupon with insufficient limitations. European law does not give a retailer (of whatever kind) the right to cancel a contract/transaction simply because they forgot to add the conditions intended. This is significant because it legally differs from the 'mistake' fare. Mistake fares are prices that are wrong; under European law a retailer does not have to comply the consumer if he could have had the reasonable expectation that the PRICE was a mistake.

For coupons, this expectation does not matter. Here is an example from Belgium (200.000 euro worth of wood flooring for 25 euro) where the retailer forgot to limit the amount of coupons usable per transaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Upti...eature=related

or another example: http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1014/Bizar/ar...r-1-euro.dhtml
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:45 pm
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jatink129
I just plan to show up at FCO...
At worst, I'll lose a little cab fare from Piazza di Trevi to FCO and back.
It wont be a cheap trek ..

I'd hate to pay for that (not cheap) cab ride if the tix's rejected. :-)

Last edited by hsk; Oct 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by hsk
I'd hate to pay for that (not cheap) cab ride if the tix's rejected.
Thanks for bringing me down to earth Might just use the bus then.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:51 pm

PS: is it just me or did this also bring Saudi Airlines' website down?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Must be too much traffic on the Saudi site.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by BobKop
PS: is it just me or did this also bring Saudi Airlines' website down?
same problem but this link wored http://www.saudiairlines.com/portal/...08c0f430aRCRD#- dead
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
There is another discussion that is worth having here, which is about the fact that this is not a mistake fare, but rather a coupon with insufficient limitations. European law does not give a retailer (of whatever kind) the right to cancel a contract/transaction simply because they forgot to add the conditions intended.
This is exactly what happened 2 years ago with the Expedia $300 off coupon and reservations were honored..... I flew free and had 2 nights of hotel.

I love how every mistake fare that has come up in the past year or 2 ends up in a legal debate. And yet here we go again..... time to get the pop corn and enjoy the show!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:02 pm

There is another discussion that is worth having here, which is about the fact that this is not a mistake fare, but rather a coupon with insufficient limitations. European law does not give a retailer (of whatever kind) the right to cancel a contract/transaction simply because they forgot to add the conditions intended. This is significant because it legally differs from the 'mistake' fare. Mistake fares are prices that are wrong; under European law a retailer does not have to comply the consumer if he could have had the reasonable expectation that the PRICE was a mistake.

For coupons, this expectation does not matter. Here is an example from Belgium (200.000 euro worth of wood flooring for 25 euro) where the retailer forgot to limit the amount of coupons usable per transaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Upti...eature=related

or another example: http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1014/Bizar/ar...r-1-euro.dhtml
that is actually an interesting argument. the question is though...does anyone have the original terms & conditions with a timestamp or something as PROOF that the terms and conditions were changed. Then after that you would have to prove that your ticket was booked BEFORE the changed t&c! Not sure how you would do that because the e-ticket confirmation doesn't seem to have a time on it....saudi website does give the date though.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Leviticus
Welcome to FT! According to some Japanese speaking members there were restrictions, we just did not read the TC or did not understand it. But I'm still not sure if the restrictions were put in place in advance, during or after the booking bonanza.
I believe this is the interesting broader question. If an airline says, for example, that a voucher is only for flights ex-Japan, but you can actually book LHR-SIN using it, then who is responsible?:

1. The airline, because their systems did not block you from using the voucher (at the time of booking)?; or

2. You, for using the voucher in breach of the terms & conditions?

I personally think that, for online transactions, #1 should (but not necessarily does) apply. I just wish something like DOT existed for retail because there's way too many retailers getting away with pricing mistakes.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aaron1262
This is exactly what happened 2 years ago with the Expedia $300 off coupon and reservations were honored..... I flew free and had 2 nights of hotel.

I love how every mistake fare that has come up in the past year or 2 ends up in a legal debate. And yet here we go again..... time to get the pop corn and enjoy the show!
exactly! And this time every reason they can come up with is just a terrible excuse for having made a too generous promotion.
They absolutely will cancel the tickets, I just can't see how this could stand legally, given that all their arguments are lies.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by brentito86
that is actually an interesting argument. the question is though...does anyone have the original terms & conditions with a timestamp or something as PROOF that the terms and conditions were changed. Then after that you would have to prove that your ticket was booked BEFORE the changed t&c! Not sure how you would do that because the e-ticket confirmation doesn't seem to have a time on it....saudi website does give the date though.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04011121_n.jpg
This is a link from the Facebook group. It does not have a time stamp, but I think there are enough witnesses here to prove it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.