Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 7:36 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/201...ns-in-myanmar/

Travelers Say Goodbye to Bargains in Myanmar

Hotel rates in the once-reclusive Southeast Asian nation have continued to shoot up in the past few months, largely due to sweeping political and economic reforms initiated by Myanmar’s government that have enticed investors and tourists to Yangon. Many economists fear the jump in rates could be one of the first signs of broader inflation as Myanmar’s economy opens up more to the outside world.

Last edited by imm2b; May 11, 2012 at 8:55 pm
Old May 11, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by imm2b
Yes, I expect this is a problem.
I am glad I visited in 1978 when you could exchange
a bottle of scotch and a carton of cigs for enough Kyat
to fund the entire week Rangoon-Mandalay-Maymio-Bagan-Rangoon !

And visas were strictly limited to 7 days.
Our departure flight to BKK was delayed 24 hours,
and we still had to be stamped out on schedule
and sleep on the departure lounge floor !
Old May 11, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by imm2b

Actually I was checking hotel prices and I'm a bit surprised.
Old May 11, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Its just 1000 Golden Circle points vs paying $250 for the Traders Hotel. No brainer.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by skunker
Is there anyway to tell where the responses came from so as to determine if numerous false reports were filed?
I can see the country of origin of each response and it is timestamped, however to protect your privacy (right?) I can't see IP or specific location.

Since I shortened the URL, analytics, if anyone is interested, are publicly available at this link: http://goo.gl/#analytics/goo.gl/gygMA/all_time

The average RGN purchaser, then, is based in the US, uses a PC, and uses Chrome (I fit all 3!)
Old May 12, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by Axey
Any airline can inhibit ticketing in their own systems, this has been the case forever. However, this is not what's happening here and is simply a matter of an unusable fare due to the way it's constructed. Nothing nefarious.
Do you know how distinguish these fares from the 'working' others and how is the fare validation done via the airline system (I have thought it is only inventory that needs to be confirmed by the airline...)?

If too technical for this thread, please feel free to PM me, thanks!
Old May 12, 2012, 8:10 am

Opodo/KE refund hit my card yesterday, despite my protests to them.

Good news: Thanks to that 50% Amex MR->Avios bonus this month, I've booked the outbound in CX F. ^

My worldwide favourite is LX F, and I very rarely fly premium outside of Star, so I'm excited to see how CX compares.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzjake
Opodo/KE refund hit my card yesterday, despite my protests to them.

Good news: Thanks to that 50% Amex MR->Avios bonus this month, I've booked the outbound in CX F. ^

My worldwide favourite is LX F, and I very rarely fly premium outside of Star, so I'm excited to see how CX compares.
I'm working on my outbound also - are you going beyond HKG on CX?

So, with the refund, how are you planning to get home? Reinstatement?
Old May 12, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

As you're (hopefully) aware, the fare component is the fare charged between two fare construction points. For this particular non-constructed fare, those points are RGN and YVR, meaning there's got to be a DL code on every flight between RGN and YVR for this to price.

Back to fares 101.
I'm more aware than you'll ever be...(as a TA with close to 30 years experience should know, ya?)... well, it price out ok for me a few weeks back when I fare constructed it..

It does not mean what you think it means. Its just the transpacific portion of the res, really !
Old May 12, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by yyzjake

Come on over to the CX forum and say hi then !
Old May 12, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm working on my outbound also - are you going beyond HKG on CX?

So, with the refund, how are you planning to get home? Reinstatement?
Doubtful I'll go beyond HKG on CX, certainly not without a stopover. For me, this fare wasn't a mileage run, it's an excuse to go go Asia for a few weeks. HKG is one of the places we want to visit.

This was my first OW redemption, and as I understand it, you have to do stopovers as individual segments anyway. I just booked the outbound now because the seats were available on the exact date I wanted to go, and the bonus MR redemption going on this month. It was either UA (or Star) C or CX F for the points I was willing to part with.

As far as getting home, while I will pursue the KE ticket within reason, I do not expect it to be reinstated easily based on my communications with Opodo so far. So I don't have a good answer for you yet.

As a last resort, with all of these types of promotional fares, a good relationship with American Express comes in handy in foreign countries should you need to buy a ticket home. You can always sort the details out once you're home.

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Come on over to the CX forum and say hi then !
I most certainly will!

Last edited by yyzjake; May 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Old May 12, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Lots
It does not mean what you think it means. Its just the transpacific portion of the res, really !
In the very elementary, this is how fares prices, yes. But not when it has flight application restrictions limiting the carriers on the fare component. If this fare was constructed (BKK-YVR with a RGN-BKK add-on) it would work fine since you can catch a DL code all the way from BKK to YVR. But since the fare component points are RGN and YVR, it will not work.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:29 am

In the very elementary, this is how fares prices, yes. But not when it has flight application restrictions limiting the carriers on the fare component. If this fare was constructed (BKK-YVR with a RGN-BKK add-on) it would work fine since you can catch a DL code all the way from BKK to YVR. But since the fare component points are RGN and YVR, it will not work.
Is the command pricing error somewhat specific? If so can you post it here? I am really interested to improve my knowledge in all this stuff.

One other things to understand - is how to read 'voluntary changes' portion... To me the text is often contradictory or it has too much freedom (ie too many 'or's).
Old May 12, 2012, 11:54 am

I'm more aware than you'll ever be...(as a TA with close to 30 years experience should know, ya?)... well, it price out ok for me a few weeks back when I fare constructed it..

So, how do we read 'OR's and 'AND's in fare rules? If we read those as in normal life then the following is true:

1) indeed the restriction for DL flights can be forfeited being linked by 'OR'
2) this fare could not have been autopriced several weeks ago because of transfers restrictions (were same as now; just checked):

OR there has been a mismatch between the fare text and autopricing programming - I have seen a couple of examples but these are really rare.

UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION
ANY COMBINATION OF THE FOLLOWING -
UNLIMITED ONLINE ON DL.
AND - 1 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION
1 INTERLINE INCLUDING DL
INTERLINE IN AREA 3 IN EACH DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT.
Old May 12, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Keter
UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION
UNLIMITED ONLINE ON DL.
AND - 1 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION
1 INTERLINE INCLUDING DL
INTERLINE IN AREA 3 IN EACH DIRECTION.
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND
EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE
COMPONENT.
I don't see anything magical with this rule. Unlimited online on DL (DL-DL) AND (one either XX-DL/DL-XX anywhere OR one XX-YY in TC3) per direction. Still I would think it doesn't matter squat if you can only fly on DL due to other rules.

Could you please paste the full flight restrictions section for the RGN fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.