Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE]Major UA response to VX ex-LAX and ex-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
LAX-SFO 64 all in loaded. however, 2 day minimum stay is required\

LAX/SFO-IAD/JFK still available but not a lot of L class left. Seems like 1 day minimum

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jul 20, 2007 at 1:34 am
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by mikensf74
Aug 22-27 for example. Prices $181 with different connection options

9/15-9/16 or 9/17 work as well
These are exactly the dates we want in order to book tickets for our wedding! What is the flex search feature... we only see flexible dates, but I don't think that's what you mean...
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
IAD-SFO still avail 5:40 am. EDT Friday

Just booked three tickets to SFO for Nov 9-11 for a football game at Cal on .bomb

$149.80 all inc

120.00 base plus 29.80 taxes

Sept 26>Nov 14 seems to be the dates of availability

AA's best at the time is $199.00 plus and availability is not that great for the dates I want
Old Jul 20, 2007, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This is a good fare but I am quite confident that we will see similar fares in October/November/December as in previous years.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:54 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
never mind, SFO is still available, not LAX
A quick month-long ITA search shows me JFK-LAX fares still around at $170 all-in and a lot more options at $192

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:02 am
Original Poster

IAD-SFO is still alive, just booked Oct 11-14th 161 all in for a friend. I am waiting to see if VX matches UA on this sale for my personal tickets as I would really like to try out their new product.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
LAX/SFO-IAD/JFK still available but not a lot of L class left. Seems like 1 day minimum
Saturday night stay is required. Can get around it with the traditional red-eye departure.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very nice fares!^

Folks, this is the perfect opportunity to join us for the San Francisco Mega Do from September 14-16. Book now!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Someone is so getting fired for this.

Oh well, I'll think of him or her in NYC.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcat
Someone is so getting fired for this.

Oh well, I'll think of him or her in NYC.
What makes you say that? Looks like a normal fare war to me.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
If United had a clear cut plan of action of their future AND could compete effectively maybe they would be able to compete a little better. Besides it seems that UA's banks and shareholders - and staff - in this situation re:the BUF-ORD-LAX-IAD-BUF $200 fare, subsidized YOUR fare. I'm sure there were others who paid $1200 for the ORD-LAX-IAD portion alone.
For a number of reasons, I don't think "subsidy" pertains here. Among them, UA has not defaulted on any bank loans, causing those lenders to lose money, has it? And shareholders who see declines in the value of their holdings may be the poorer for it, but their losses do not equal a "subsidy" for the company's customers any more than Ford's losses amount to a "subsidy" for those still buying its cars. When true subsidies are declined, the offerer experiences no financial loss as a result.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
MR SFO-IAD-SFO and IAD-SFO-IAD

When i tried to book next day ret to SFO-IAD-SFO, you can't. But you can do that on IAD-SFO-IAD, so I booked 2 seperate ticks. One leaves SFO-IAD on a friday red and and that return is on Sunday. Then on a seperate ticket that leaves IAD on Sat and the return from SFO is Sunday just in time for my return on the first ticket. AI for both tickets was $299.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
What makes you say that? Looks like a normal fare war to me.
I think this is clearly a "normal fare war" with an "oops -- that was supposed to be the one-way price..." on the part of UA. All the fares UA filed are precisely 50% of the VX fares, and the dates and cities matched exactly. Even if UA were planning to grossly underprice VX, it would be quite a coincidence (and an unnecessary loss of revenue) to underprice VX by a full 50%.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisw
I think this is clearly a "normal fare war" with an "oops -- that was supposed to be the one-way price..." on the part of UA. All the fares UA filed are precisely 50% of the VX fares, and the dates and cities matched exactly. Even if UA were planning to grossly underprice VX, it would be quite a coincidence (and an unnecessary loss of revenue) to underprice VX by a full 50%.
I am sure this is the reasoning that is going through VX management's minds right now as they seek to determine if UA's is trying to start a fare war or not. The fact that UA has not pulled this yet, leads me to believe they may be intending to start a bloody battle with VX.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chrisw
At least everyone learned from the AA vs SW fare war, and the fare basis doesn't start with FU. That was a little too obvious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.