Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Has anyone traveled on the AA ACA $0 fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone traveled on the AA ACA $0 fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by zxcvbs
of course technically they don't *have to*, but surely they'd rather try to resell that seat in the next few weeks at regular price, eh?
They already can if there's availability.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by j3823x
They already can if there's availability.
I know, but I'm asking if there's any chance they'd make a one-time concession. I don't know if it's the case that AA would have to refund the taxes out of their own pocket, but they're not losing any money on the airfare because I didn't pay them any.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
If my flights were any indication.. they were both half full or half empty on both flights to/from ACA.

There is no incentive (based on the loads I flew) to give you a thing.. unless its F0 A0 Y0 etc.. why should they give you a thing.. they have other seats to sell at the regular fares..

Originally Posted by j3823x
So, which leg are you standing on: a $0 fare or a $400 fare? If a $0 fare, they aren't going to give you anything. If a $400 fare, you owe them still.

Anyway, do they actually need the seat? is there Y0 B0 availability on your flights?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to go on my trip

I'm thinking of calling AA to cancel and suggest that since I'm technically giving them back a $0 fare that would otherwise cost $400+ it's reasonable for them to give me a full refund. anyone have any input on this idea before I call? to me it sounds like I'm doing them a favor, not the other way around (if anything they should offer me a voucher to cancel :P) but they may want to stick to their rules and I'm out $110...
My money is on AA keeping your money and telling you "your sand and mallet are over there, sir."
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

aww....but if they already agreed to honor the $0 fare, they acknowledge that I don't owe them anything. I'm giving them a chance to back out of it :P
lucky them.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I doubt they will give you a refund, and here is why:

If people knew they could get a refund on tickets like these, how many people would have purchased multiple tickets? For example, if John Doe knew he could get a refund on any tickets he didn't use, why not buy tickets for every weekend, then only use the ones he wanted?

After traveling to ACA last weekend on $0 tickets, my SO and I wish we would have purchased a few more for upcomming weekends. We didn't, because the fact that we would have been out $100+ for each ticket we didn't end up using kept us 'down to earth' and only purchased 1 ticket each.

That being said, I would love to hear if you have any luck!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
My money is on AA keeping your money and telling you "your sand and mallet are over there, sir."
well here's a better question - what money is AA keeping? if it's all taxes, what exactly is AA keeping? isn't my $110 going to various goverment agencies?

and I won't apologize for trying to work the system a bit - if I did I should never have booked the fare in the first place
Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Don't back down!

well here's a better question - what money is AA keeping? if it's all taxes, what exactly is AA keeping? isn't my $110 going to various goverment agencies?

and I won't apologize for trying to work the system a bit - if I did I should never have booked the fare in the first place
I was under the impression that airlines automatically refunded taxes, even on non-refundable tickets. This has always been the case when I've refunded with DL and NW, and on award tickets. Often times I've not even asked, and the fee reappears as a credit on the card originally used (sometimes, for award tickets, it can be as little as $5 or $10 if all they charged intially was the Sept. 11 security fee). Last time, DL didn't refund the taxes, and after about a month, I called their refunds department directly and she processed the credit on the spot. So, maybe you should try and find a number for the AA refunds department rather than reservations and call them instead (if AA has such a number...it took some digging to find DL's). If they turn you down, I would write a letter and perhaps threaten a class action suit, b/c these taxes and fees are certainly not their's to keep.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:25 pm

This fare may be a $0 fare, but it is not a fully refundable fare!

When you refund a ticket, it usually is in the form of a travel voucher, less any change fees unless it is a refundable ticket, which this ain't.

So, a $110 total ticket - a $150 change fee means you owe AA a $40 voucher. Got one handy?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
This fare may be a $0 fare, but it is not a fully refundable fare!

When you refund a ticket, it usually is in the form of a travel voucher, less any change fees unless it is a refundable ticket, which this ain't.

So, a $110 total ticket - a $150 change fee means you owe AA a $40 voucher. Got one handy?
my question is, where are the taxes going? when I return an item to a store, I get my sales tax back. why are airfare taxes different? maybe this is a dumb question and pro MRers learned this in grade school, but I do wonder.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by miller4isu
I doubt they will give you a refund, and here is why:

If people knew they could get a refund on tickets like these, how many people would have purchased multiple tickets? For example, if John Doe knew he could get a refund on any tickets he didn't use, why not buy tickets for every weekend, then only use the ones he wanted?
There is actually some precedent for this sort of thing, though - AA not only offered refunds to passengers, but also gave them miles as if they had flown, for a group of people who took advantage of a fare error from the UK to Cleveland last August. The key difference, though, is that the error was only on flights within a very limited period of a couple of days, making it more obvious that people were only flying these for the miles.

I kind of hoped that AA would do the same thing with these (or at least allow people to get their taxes back on a refund) as I can no longer use my tickets, but I'm not really counting on it.

Mike
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

In light of previous pricing mistakes by airlines and hotels alike, let's not forget that AA is honoring this fare no-questions-asked.. and is providing EQMs as well. Trying to get a refund on a nonrefundable fare error is just a bit .. well.. wrong.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by izzik
Trying to get a refund on a nonrefundable fare error is just a bit .. well.. wrong.
Is it wrong if the airline offers it, though?

That's the point I'm trying to make. I'm not going to push the issue even though I can't use the tickets, but if AA were to call me and ask if I'd take a refund (as they have done before) in exchange for the miles, then I'd be more than happy to take it.

Mike
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:38 am

my question is, where are the taxes going? when I return an item to a store, I get my sales tax back. why are airfare taxes different? maybe this is a dumb question and pro MRers learned this in grade school, but I do wonder.
AA will give you your taxes back!

However, the terms and conditions of the ticket that you agreed to when you purchased it necessitate that 1)any refund is not in cash, but rather in the form of a voucher that can be applied to a future international ticket and 2)that you agreed to pay a fee of $100-200 (not sure what it is for this particular fare) if you wished to have a refund described in 1).

If the ticket had been $500 + $110 in taxes, you would be eligible for a refund if you followed the procedures in 1) and 2) above. However, you would receive a voucher for $410 - $510 instead of owing AA $40, should you insist on trying to get these taxes refunded.

It's that simple.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:55 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Away fromthe taxes/refundn discussion for a minute:

Is anyone else going down on the 11th? My husband and I are doing a quick visit from the 11th to the 13th and I'm just wondering if anyone else will be there too

I'm also curious as to what people think the best way to see the cliff divers is - I'm leery of driving at night, so should we drive out on our own during the day or pay for a tour to La Perla at night (with van), or is there a third option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.