Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Has anyone traveled on the AA ACA $0 fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone traveled on the AA ACA $0 fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:18 pm

Ground Transportation

Several people have inquired about ground transportation, so here's what I found out/did. The most economical way from the airport seems to be the shuttles (servicio colectivo ). When I asked around at the airport, I was told a taxi would be about US$45. The shuttle was $7.50 -- they seem to be based on zones so it is possible that some people may find it even a bit cheaper, but this really was quite quick and obviously much better in price. For the return, the shuttle requires a 24 hour reservation and supposedly picks you up 2 hours before your flight. Someone I chatted with in the shuttle line who has been going to ACA for years said she always took the shuttle in to town, but took a taxi to the airport, as it was more predictable time-wise -- the shuttle may make a bunch of different stops and she knew of people who had had the shuttle get them there uncomfortably close to the departure time -- and she said the taxi from town to the airport were only about $15. I ended up going with the taxi back and it was $20 -- this could have been an inflated rate since it was still the high Christmas season for the many folks from Mexico City who were not heading home until after Epiphany (Jan. 6). I talked to one or two others and was told $15-ish for a taxi to the airport from the Golden Zone, which is where most of the hotels are.
TrojanHorse I'm pretty sure the numbers wouldn't be very different from the Hyatt -- it is at the far other end of the strip from where I stayed, but there were Hyatt people on my shuttle and the taxi rates seemed fairly consistent up & down the strip from what I could make out.

It took about 35 mins from the far end of the Golden Zone to the airport at around mid-day.

I hope that covers people's questions -- let me know if there are any others.

Last edited by Telfes; Jan 7, 2006 at 9:23 pm Reason: added info
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Telfes - great advice!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:37 pm

Just returned to DFW from the ACA deal. It's really gorgeous there right now, so enjoy it folks.

We stayed at the Las Brisas (my folks footing the bill since I got them the tix) and it was amazing. The views alone were worth the price, and the view from the restaurant was priceless.

I'll concur with the ground transport info that was offered previously. We used a slightly different method, but it all seems to coincide with what we found.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Thank you very much for the information.. I think we will do the shuttle to the hotel and cab it back.. thanks again.. ^

Originally Posted by Telfes
Several people have inquired about ground transportation, so here's what I found out/did. The most economical way from the airport seems to be the shuttles (servicio colectivo ). When I asked around at the airport, I was told a taxi would be about US$45. The shuttle was $7.50 -- they seem to be based on zones so it is possible that some people may find it even a bit cheaper, but this really was quite quick and obviously much better in price. For the return, the shuttle requires a 24 hour reservation and supposedly picks you up 2 hours before your flight. Someone I chatted with in the shuttle line who has been going to ACA for years said she always took the shuttle in to town, but took a taxi to the airport, as it was more predictable time-wise -- the shuttle may make a bunch of different stops and she knew of people who had had the shuttle get them there uncomfortably close to the departure time -- and she said the taxi from town to the airport were only about $15. I ended up going with the taxi back and it was $20 -- this could have been an inflated rate since it was still the high Christmas season for the many folks from Mexico City who were not heading home until after Epiphany (Jan. 6). I talked to one or two others and was told $15-ish for a taxi to the airport from the Golden Zone, which is where most of the hotels are.
TrojanHorse I'm pretty sure the numbers wouldn't be very different from the Hyatt -- it is at the far other end of the strip from where I stayed, but there were Hyatt people on my shuttle and the taxi rates seemed fairly consistent up & down the strip from what I could make out.

It took about 35 mins from the far end of the Golden Zone to the airport at around mid-day.

I hope that covers people's questions -- let me know if there are any others.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Just returned to DFW from the ACA deal. It's really gorgeous there right now, so enjoy it folks.

We stayed at the Las Brisas (my folks footing the bill since I got them the tix) and it was amazing. The views alone were worth the price, and the view from the restaurant was priceless.

I'll concur with the ground transport info that was offered previously. We used a slightly different method, but it all seems to coincide with what we found.
We are leaving this week and will be staying at Las Brisas too, any info on the hotel would be appreciated too. I am very glad to hear a good review.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by phoney
We are leaving this week and will be staying at Las Brisas too, any info on the hotel would be appreciated too. I am very glad to hear a good review.
Did you get a casita with a private pool? If so, you'll probably be on the 5th level. In any case, if you can get a room number that is 4xx or 5xx, you'll be sitting pretty . . . in more ways than one. The main road in front of Las Brisas (LB) is pretty loud, even at night. The 4xx/5xx rooms are higher up on the hill than other rooms, so the road noise will affect you less, in addition to the view being much more spectacular. There is a nightclub a few blocks away from LB called "Palladium". It gets going late and doesn't stop until daybreak. If your room is in the 1xx/2xx level, you'll be dealing with that as well as road noise. Word of warning about the jeep service within the LB compound: they can be rapid, or they can be slow like molasses. If you really need to be somewhere, call for the jeep pickup about 10 minutes early, just to be safe. Another tip: Eat one dinner at the Bella Vista. If your budget can afford it, eat more than one, but make every attempt to eat there once for dinner. The view is unparalleled and the menu is exquisite. I had the Châteaubriand with Béarnaise and it literally melted in my mouth and I about fell over. Defintely a memorable experience, and the waitstaff was very good.

Other than that, not much more to recommend. Enjoy the shared/private pool, the view, and the overall service. Make an attempt to visit the beach club (La Concha) at least once. They have a restaurant that is on the ocean; great for lunches if you're already down there or don't want to really leave the complex. They have a shuttle van (not unlike airport hotel shuttles) from the main lobby to the beach club which takes about 10 minutes to get there and leaves from the main lobby on the hour, 20s, and 40s from 10am to 5pm.

edit: one last tip, basically for anyone flying back home from Acapulco: If you think you'll want food before you board your flight, eat before you get to the airport. There is one burger/taco/quesadilla joint beyond security and when the afternoon bank of flights ready to go, everyone and their sister is in line for a quick sandwich. Add to that the slow service from the restaurant itself and it spells no lunch for you. Be advised.

Last edited by SchmutzigMSP; Jan 11, 2006 at 6:07 am
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't wait to go!

Anyone going to be on AA 301 ORD-ACA on January 13 or AA 410 ACA-DFW on January 15?

I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency with two friends from work.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
We are on the same 301 and 410 on Friday and Sunday.

After an overnight at the airport in ATL....
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
one last tip, basically for anyone flying back home from Acapulco: If you think you'll want food before you board your flight, eat before you get to the airport. There is one burger/taco/quesadilla joint beyond security and when the afternoon bank of flights ready to go, everyone and their sister is in line for a quick sandwich. Add to that the slow service from the restaurant itself and it spells no lunch for you. Be advised.
This is good advice -- the airport food options were indeed poor. But for $0 fare, I can live with that.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
we were there from 07jan06 to 09jan06. the fiesta inn had a reasonable rate, and with a continental airlines privilege pack coupon, we were upgraded to the top floor, corner unit with wrap-around balcony directly over the pool area. the fiesta inn has it's own "private" beach since it's surrounded on both sides by boulders, and the location could not have been better since we were mid-way from all the activities we wanted to partake in.

the flights down and back were upgraded to first-class using 15k AA miles each, so a most rewarding experience, to say the least.

one of the best experiences, though, was when my girlfriend, her daughter, and i were sitting in a lounge above the cliff of le quebrada, awaiting the cliff divers to do their thing. a gentleman sitting at the next table was conversing with the waiter in spanish, and i asked his assistance in ordering something for our table. after a brief conversation, we discovered that we were both FTers down there on the same deal -- even flying down and back on the same flights! IdealFlyer -- thanks for everything!
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I just got back from Acapulco this evening.

I was rather disappointed in Acapulco. The water does not appear to be very clean; it looks like the hotels are stuck in a 1960s time warp; and the nightlife was surprisingly lackluster. The only interesting thing about Acapulco was the customization of the school buses that are used for public transportation (graphics, lights, etc.). Give me Cancun any day over Acapulco.

The AA check-in counter at AA -- like most check-in counters at most Mexican resort airports -- is a complete clusterfu©k (pardon my French). The folks manning the counter are nice enough, but there is something wrong when the alleged business class line is longer and slower than the regular economy line. Be forewarned and plan you arrival at the airport accordingly.

AA was nice enough to allow me to e-upgrade both ways on the flights from and to DFW. Can't beat first class for free.

It was also a nice swan song for me with AA. After 11 years of loyalty to AA, I have decided to move on to greener pastures. So getting a free ride to Acapulco was a nice parting gift.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:29 pm

One more note on transportation. The quoted rate on taxi from the airport is indeed about $45 IF you talk to the people soliciting inside the airport. Walking outside towards where the cabs are parked knocks down the price to about $18. In fact, I paid 180 peso to go to the westernmost part of town (much further than the beachfront hotels). It is slightly more than the shuttle for two, but a no-brainer for three or more.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mahleria
One more note on transportation. The quoted rate on taxi from the airport is indeed about $45 IF you talk to the people soliciting inside the airport. Walking outside towards where the cabs are parked knocks down the price to about $18. In fact, I paid 180 peso to go to the westernmost part of town (much further than the beachfront hotels). It is slightly more than the shuttle for two, but a no-brainer for three or more.
Any specific area to go for those cabs? We have four in the group and will probably just grab a taxi to the Camino Real.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Goheelswks,
When are you staying at the Camino Real? We are also staying there, arriving this Friday on flight 301 from ORD at 1:00pm.
I would be curious to know how many of the passangers on these flights are there because of Flyertalk and the $0 fares!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:45 am

Just back, no problems at all with the flight. As far as Ground Transportation goes, I paid 180 pesos (inclusive of tip) to go from the airport to the Hyatt. When you head out of customs you will be bombarded by people offering rides at various rates. My suggestion is to walk past the people who are inside the airport (the one's I talked to were all quoting 300 pesos fixed). As soon as you are outside of the airport you will get approached by cab drivers looking for a fare back from the airport. Offer them 150 pesos (or 15 dollars if you prefer) or so and see what you can settle on. Don't pay more than 200 pesos. There will always be someone else more willing to deal.

I was told by a local that the prices you negotiate are inclusive (i.e. include the tip). As a suggestion, make sure to negotiate a cab fare anywhere inside the city before you get into the cab. (The cabs do not have meters). Also, never pay more than 50 pesos to move around within the city itself.

Also, there are three atm machines inside the airport, as you walk out of customs turn left and walk into the main ticketing hall, they are on your right.

Have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.