CM: IAD-PTY-GEO 7,058 PQM $296 AI RT 4.2 CPM July-November

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I just booked this as:

IAD-PTY Monday, October 6
PTY-GEO Tuesday, October 7
GEO-PTY-IAD Friday, October 10

I'll use the PTY overnight to see the Canal and then find cool stuff to do in Guyana for the 2 and 2/2 days I'll be there.

And as a UA Gold, I'll take my chances with the upgrades - I already got bulkhead window coach seats on all four legs, so I'm not overly concerned if I don't get some/all upgrades.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by WingnutSYD
Grabbed one of these ex-JFK, should be a cool trip.

A question for those with Copa experience - is it worth using miles to upgrade in advance, or do CPUs occur quite consistently at departure? I'm already confirmed up front on all legs but not sure if I should just save the miles and hope for CPU. Thanks!
I'm 6/6 with CPU's on Copa SCL-PTY.. back and forth. In fact, it's the only flight in the past 2 years that I received an alert 48 hours in advance as a UA Gold.

Now, with that I'll say I've seen a bunch of people on this thread coordinating and saying they'll be on the same flights, etc. So my guess is you'll be seeing more elites on these flights, thus lowering the opportunity for an easy CPU.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I was doing some research, this is what seems doable for covering all 3 countries:
Day 0 (mon) WAS-PTY, overnight in PTY.
Day 1 (tues) Arrive GEO around 2PM
Day 2 (wed) depart GEO, travel to Paramaribo (6-7 hrs, 5am-noon)
Day 3 (thur) depart Paramaribo, arrive Cayenne (6-7 hrs, 5am-noon)
Day 4 (fri) tour the space center and/or islands around cayenne
Day 6 (sat) cayenne - paramaribo
Day 7 (sun) paramaribo
Day 8 (mon) paramaribo- Georgetown
Day 9 (tue) GEO-PTY-IAD (possibility of overnighting in PTY)

Be aware of the crossing times for ferries on the country borders.

Last edited by Palal; May 1, 2014 at 10:21 am
Old May 1, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
actually, i booked on the same date.
one plan that i am thinking is to pick up all guyana, suriname and french guiana in the same trip.

i will probably spend the first night in guyana, and head to suriname on Nov 22 (unless i can arrange a trip to the Fall on Nov 22)... as i dont need a visa for Suriname, and then head to French guiana (day tirp or not.. it depends.) and then back to georgetown to on Nov 27.

anyone has any suggestion to spend a week in those regions?
That sounds awesome. I don't know much about traveling in those areas, let alone know many people who have traveled there. Let me know what you find out, and would love to meet up with fellow travelers.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Not as good as $296 but the fare only jumps to $397 in December and early 2015.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
Also YYZ-GEO via PTY (7962 miles not counting bonus)

I'm seeing YYZ-GEO for US$409 rt Nov 17-25 (it's an "Economy Extra" fare in U class, as "Economy Promo" is unavailable) but that's still cheaper than adding on a separate connecting flight to IAD.
On those dates, 19 hour overnight in PTY, and 1 hour in PTY on way back

Looks like most Mon dep in Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec with 7 nights for US$409 and 3 or 10 nights for US$432

7962 miles not counting the 25% bonus

Also, apparently rainy season starts in Nov so Aug-Oct is one good weather time to go

Last edited by poverty.jet.set; May 1, 2014 at 10:20 am Reason: added weather info, U class
Old May 1, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tblack15
Now, with that I'll say I've seen a bunch of people on this thread coordinating and saying they'll be on the same flights, etc. So my guess is you'll be seeing more elites on these flights, thus lowering the opportunity for an easy CPU.
We had 4 1K's in my party traveling on the Copa MVD deal last fall. We went 4/4 on all flights except MVD-PTY which we went 0/4 on. So it can be feast or famine.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
August 13 is a Wednesday. MetroRail shuts down at midnight.
Augh! I totally forgot about that.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Palal
I was doing some research, this is what seems doable for covering all 3 countries:
Day 0 (mon) WAS-PTY, overnight in PTY.
Day 1 (tues) Arrive GEO around 2PM
Day 2 (wed) depart GEO, travel to Paramaribo (6-7 hrs, 5am-noon)
Day 3 (thur) depart Paramaribo, arrive Cayenne (6-7 hrs, 5am-noon)
Day 4 (fri) tour the space center and/or islands around cayenne
Day 6 (sat) cayenne - paramaribo
Day 7 (sun) paramaribo
Day 8 (mon) paramaribo- Georgetown
Day 9 (tue) GEO-PTY-IAD (possibility of overnighting in PTY)

Be aware of the crossing times for ferries on the country borders.
i have similar plan except i am not sure if it is easy to go to space center. please let me know how you go. as i wont depart until Nov.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by getmyassoutofdebt
That sounds awesome. I don't know much about traveling in those areas, let alone know many people who have traveled there. Let me know what you find out, and would love to meet up with fellow travelers.
i am at the after flight IAD - PTY.
i think we are on the same flights for the rest.

are you 1k?
i plan to stay in hostel, and follow to a similar trip to Palal to spend the week there.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
i have similar plan except i am not sure if it is easy to go to space center. please let me know how you go. as i wont depart until Nov.
Ended up not buying due to time constraints.

Fare expired. Current best price $397 from IAD
Old May 2, 2014, 12:37 am

I booked it less than 5 minutes after I said the fare was dead (this always happen to me). Anyway, I ended up canceling my ticket. I wanted to use Guyana has a gateway into South America Caribbean'ish but the other flights within that area are expensive.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:42 pm

i am at the after flight IAD - PTY.
i think we are on the same flights for the rest.

are you 1k?
i plan to stay in hostel, and follow to a similar trip to Palal to spend the week there.
Not 1k. Planning on hostels as well. Maybe I'll attempt to jump around too but I think I'll have to try to do some more research. Should be interesting.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: Lots
Just noticed this thread - I got in on the DL deal to GEO about 2 years ago and absolutely loved Guyana.

Georgetown itself isn't anything special, take a half day to wander around the downtown area but that's really enough.

But if you're there for a few days - definitely recommend to take the day trip out to Kaieteur Falls. I was there in the dry season and it was still pretty impressive. Plus you can add Roraima Airways to your flightmemory page.

Also spent 3 or 4 days in the interior - went to the Caiman Field House in Yupukari and found it fascinating. Although some of the more recent reviews on tripadvisor are pretty bad - perhaps there has been a management change. It is quite expensive though.

I also met up with some folks (I believe gil123 earlier in the thread was one of them) and we went to another jungle lodge that was an overnight trip from Georgetown. In my opinion it didn't hold a candle to going to the interior but for people who are only there for a day or two it's not necessarily a bad option.

Anyway, shame I missed this as I would love to go back. I think Guyana is truly a place where the more effort you put into your trip the more you're going to get out of it. It is not an easy vacation but it's a fascinating place.

But cheers to everyone who did make it - hope you enjoy. More than happy to answer any questions (although I think I've already said most everything...)
Old May 3, 2014, 1:47 pm

Hey Iggy:

Yeah, all the wasp bites on my arms and arse from poking around that plane wreck we passed in our jungle hike are just about healed now :-)

Agreed Guayana is worth the effort but anyone who heads out an a super-cheap ~ $300 fare should keep in mind that travel in the interior can be pricey. I think I spent almost as much to fly to falls for a couple hours as we did on the ticket down from NYC.

Also, another curiosity of Guayana that I still don't quite get is why virtually all of the restaurants there serve Chinese food. Almost half their population is of Indian descent, and only a very small number are of Chinese descent-- but I couldn't find a bowl of curry to save my life. Yet almost every restaurant, whether advertised as Chinese or local cuisine, seemed to served the same menu of bland Sino-Caribbean food. At one point I stopped an Indian local on the street and asked him where to get spicy Indian food and he said: we eat at home.

Originally Posted by IggySD
Just noticed this thread - I got in on the DL deal to GEO about 2 years ago and absolutely loved Guyana.

Georgetown itself isn't anything special, take a half day to wander around the downtown area but that's really enough.

But if you're there for a few days - definitely recommend to take the day trip out to Kaieteur Falls. I was there in the dry season and it was still pretty impressive. Plus you can add Roraima Airways to your flightmemory page.

Also spent 3 or 4 days in the interior - went to the Caiman Field House in Yupukari and found it fascinating. Although some of the more recent reviews on tripadvisor are pretty bad - perhaps there has been a management change. It is quite expensive though.

I also met up with some folks (I believe gil123 earlier in the thread was one of them) and we went to another jungle lodge that was an overnight trip from Georgetown. In my opinion it didn't hold a candle to going to the interior but for people who are only there for a day or two it's not necessarily a bad option.

Anyway, shame I missed this as I would love to go back. I think Guyana is truly a place where the more effort you put into your trip the more you're going to get out of it. It is not an easy vacation but it's a fascinating place.

But cheers to everyone who did make it - hope you enjoy. More than happy to answer any questions (although I think I've already said most everything...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.